2017 Hyundai Tucson burning oil (Help!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my sister's, she bought it new less than two years ago... She phoned me last night, and she's quite upset. It's burning a litre (quart) in 1000 kms (600 miles). There is no tailpipe smoke and no leaks. I think the catalytic converter is cleaning up the oil smoke (?). She commutes with it daily, 100 kms hwy each way. I've ridden shotgun with her, she's a careful, easy driver.
She took it to the dealer, they printed out a sheet from Hyundai which said that oil consumption is not a problem unless it's more than 1 litre per 1000 kms
shocked2.gif
. They then said sorry, nothing we can do, and sent her on her way. This was the dealer that sold her the car new, less than two years ago.
mad.gif

I'm going to tell her she should go back and demand an oil consumption test.
I took a quick look at Hyundai forums last night, I'll look again this morning. Her Tuscon has the 2.0 non turbo engine.

Anyone out there who has dealt with a Hyundai warranty issue problem recently? How did you resolve it? Thanks...

"She phoned me last night, and she's quite upset. It's burning a litre (quart) in 1000 kms (600 miles)
(....oil consumption is not a problem unless it's more than 1 litre per 1000 kms)

Id go back and tell them you put in 1.001L of oil /1000KM. Let them get around that, since they seem to want to play games.

Go back to the dealer. This way the complaint is documented on their system. It should be anyway from the first visit.

Save all paperwork.

Advise her to go back to dealer and talk to the service manager about the issue. The service advisors are more like sales reps. Being firm but polite goes a long way also.

That is a standard OE answer and not unique to Hyundai. It should be against the law IMO because it's not normal for sure. Some engines use oil from new but not to this level.
It has been my experiences that the vast majority do not until they are worn, some hundreds of thousands of miles later.

First thing I would check is the PCV valve. It's a cheap fix and might remedy your problem.
Do use an OEM replacement PCV valve though. Shouldn't be your cost but it might give you piece of mind.

Last edited:
Stevie,

Good advice but I would add that the op not do anything on their own. That could give the dealer an excuse.

I'm not familiar with Canada's laws on these situations but definitely talk to the management at this dealership. That kind of oil usage for a fairly new car is not normal. Documentation is important. Get copies of all the service records so far.

As mentioned before, be firm but nice. Screaming and making a scene is counterproductive.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Stevie,

Good advice but I would add that the op not do anything on their own. That could give the dealer an excuse.

I'm not familiar with Canada's laws on these situations but definitely talk to the management at this dealership. That kind of oil usage for a fairly new car is not normal. Documentation is important. Get copies of all the service records so far.

As mentioned before, be firm but nice. Screaming and making a scene is counterproductive.

I hear what you are saying and I agree, I meant that he should do this if he can't get anywhere with Hyundai fixing it. In a last ditch effort to try and curb the oil usage.

Also using OE parts shouldn't void the warranty. Not sure about your laws but here that is the case.

FIrst of all, keep a timeline of calls and the people you talked to;

Secondly, and I'm suggesting out of the 'reality' of the situation, have a knowledgeable guy (or gal) go with her. They are trying to exploit her to capitulate because she may lack the knowledge to counter their claims.

Has she done all the necessary OCs; How did she know the oil was low after 600miles?

Also you might want to talk to the Hyundai employed service representative, not the dealer. They at some point have to protect the reputation of the brand and may take a greater interest in a very unsatisfied customer

JMO

Last edited:
How often does she check her oil? Does she check proper level after oil change? My Hyundai dealership overfilled my Elantra, but errors can be made in other direction.

She has been to the dealer the next step now is call the zone office and talk to a rep.

Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.
75 Frontenac Drive
Markham, Ontario
L3R 6H2
905-948-6726

If they do the standard oil consumption test where they tape up the dipstick so it can't be tampered with, make sure you guys see it before they tape it up. They might overfill it in the first place.

Check oil in the morning, early, engine cold, on level ground. Take a picture of the level on the dipstick (smartphone camera) on a morning when you see it near the full line or dot.
Then, email the dealership the picture and/or take it down to show the service advisor.
Now note the mileage on the odometer too.
Just saying all this because you've got to have a consistent repeatable way to look at oil level. Same temperature (cold anyway), not checking it hot one day and cold the next, you know what I mean. (Hot oil will be higher on the dipstick than cold oil due to thermal expansion of the fluid, noting that fact.)

I'm wondering how a new-ish engine like that could be consuming oil so badly? I'm thinking some solid material or particle of some kind got stuck up there on one of the rings. Certainly there can't be a build-up of sludge on such a newer engine like that.
Also, could be the rear main seal has ruptured, but you'd be able to see an oil leak.

Great responses, Thank you all. I'll pass the info posted in this thread on to her. Trav, I'll pass that zone office contact info on to her. We live in different provinces, so I can only help by phone or text.
My sister is not the type to make a scene, but I think she can be determined when she has to be. Her sig. other was at the dealer with her, and he tried to get the dealer to do something, but no dice.
Not much info online for 2017 Tuscons burning oil, seems like hers is an outlier. She has changed the oil every 8000 kms (Hyndai's schedule) and used synthetic. Most changes were done at her local shop though, since the dealer is an hours drive away. Hopefully she has receipts. She has 70000 kms on the Tuscon now.

My wife informed me we are driving to the city this afternoon
smirk.gif
, so I'll check back with this thread this evening.

It's a pig of an engine. Meaning the oil gets pretty dirty in a very short amount of time. So a shorter interval may be beneficial. The oil color turns dark with a silver color to it. The Kia dealer here doesn't lock 95% of the cars on their lot. So I can pop the hood, check oil etc. The cars had an oil change sticker on the windshield indicating it was just changed but looking a the d.s. you would never know. Then I checked some other makes on their lot and the oil looked like it was just changed which matched up with the sticker.

One of the guys on here has a 2.4 engine in a 2011 Sonata and has indicated the same thing I mention.

I myself would pull the plugs and get a can of sea foam in the spray can. NOT the red can pour in the tank. I would buy 8 qts of Redline 5w-30 for the cleaning esters in it. Buy 2 cans of spray seafoam. I think the spray version has more cleaning agents in it. Spray a full shot glass full and pour in each spark plug hole. DO NOT put the plugs in.Pull the fuel pump fuse or relay. Cycle engine with little blips of the key as not to shoot the fluid out the plug hole. Let sit for 2 hours. Use the key to use the starter to cycle the engine for 5 seconds. Add another 3/4 shot glass full of seafoam spray into the plug hole, let sit for another 2 hours. Cycle again, by cranking for 5 seconds 4 times. Let sit for another 2 hours. Get a flash light and look down all 4 plug holes to see you don't have a pool of seafoam in the cylinders. Now install the plugs and fuel pump fuse or relay and start the car, idle for 5 seconds, then get the rpm up to 2,000 and hold for 15 seconds to get some oil flowing to the cylinder walls ASAP. Go drive the car and be heavy footed. Go home change the oil and filter with Redline 5w-30 oil. You have 3 qts extra to add when and if it is burning it. Then have her run the oil no longer then 5,000 miles from now on. Use Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Amsoil SS or the like after the Redline. I may even run Redline once again if it was eating less oil. That's what I would do.

Added Note: I would also spray CRC valve cleaner in the induction system just before the next oil change.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the above advice would be detrimental in getting Hyundai to fix the problem. This is a 2017 vehicle.

I would not be tearing things apart and attempting DIY fixit solutions. Hyundai could come back and blame these actions as the cause of the problem.

Dealership knows the engine has to come out, they will do everything they can to shake you off. You have to call corporate and whine, tell her to hit them up on social media!

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
It's a pig of an engine. Meaning the oil gets pretty dirty in a very short amount of time.
That's ridiculous. You have no basis for your crazy statement.

Originally Posted by csandste
FWIW I have the same engine. Probably abused by Hertz. No oil burning and everything looks clean at 6000 miles since change.
True, this is a normal engine with a good reputation. Its the "Nu" 2.0L engine family, and I don't think it was included in the problematic Theta engines of the recall:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/hyundai-and-kia-recall-1-2-million-cars-for-engine-failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back