Corvette UA0 with Redline 5w30: High Lead

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie
Thanks. So you would be happy with this report, right?

Yes. Things are looking "better" than they were, at least if we're chasing UOA results. All looks in order. Chevy motors are suppose to give high iron, and so is M1, so all is fine.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, I wouldn't worry at all. It should be no problem with iron floating around that number.

The OP is obsessing too much over autocrossing an LS7 Corvette for about 30 minutes during a 3000 mile oil change interval.
Relax.
The dry sump system in a C6 Z06 holds a lot of oil, and 1.5 minutes on an autocross course is not long enough to heat the oil to any worrisome temperature.
He could safely run the oil until the OLM says to change it. He could probably even safely use M1 5w30 instead of the 0w40.
The decrease in lead after the switch from Redline to M1 is interesting, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that changes my opinion about the cause since I posted it in 2015.
I wonder about the low Phosphorous readings that Blackstone has been getting (from 7/2016 to 8/2017), and would ask them about it. M1 0w40 should have 1000 ppm. I have noticed that Blackstone's Phosphorous readings are often less than the PDS specs, but not by that much. The Iron wear numbers were low during that period.
The Iron wear rates are all less than 1 ppm per 1000 miles, and that's pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The OP is obsessing too much over autocrossing an LS7 Corvette for about 30 minutes during a 3000 mile oil change interval.
Relax.
The dry sump system in a C6 Z06 holds a lot of oil, and 1.5 minutes on an autocross course is not long enough to heat the oil to any worrisome temperature.
He could safely run the oil until the OLM says to change it. He could probably even safely use M1 5w30 instead of the 0w40.
The decrease in lead after the switch from Redline to M1 is interesting, but I haven't seen anything in this thread that changes my opinion about the cause since I posted it in 2015.
I wonder about the low Phosphorous readings that Blackstone has been getting (from 7/2016 to 8/2017), and would ask them about it. M1 0w40 should have 1000 ppm. I have noticed that Blackstone's Phosphorous readings are often less than the PDS specs, but not by that much. The Iron wear numbers were low during that period.
The Iron wear rates are all less than 1 ppm per 1000 miles, and that's pretty darn good.

Although I appreciate your input I have no idea where you are getting this "obsession over autoX" from. I used to road race regularly and don't think AutoX compares at all in terms of engine wear. The ONLY thing I was ever concerned about was LEAD level. And the ONLY reason for that was that it likely meant bearing wear. The LS7 is an extremely expensive engine to replace so I feel OCI at 3-4K and closely watching my wear metals is prudent.

And I agree about phos levels but don't see where you get the iron wear rate calculation from??

Thanks
DH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
GM now specs 15W50 if tracked or raced. You'd mentioned tacking your car to the track twice.

Are you just parroting information that applies to C7's...or do you actually have a document that shows this as GM approved for a '06 Z06?

regardless running 15/50 wont hurt to use it full time, they want you to use 5/30 for mpg you wont see vette mpg with heavy ol, but you will with 5/30

Here is my latest UOA

Looks like my lead has definitely stabilized below the average for these motors for which I am very happy about.

Other than the Iron everything else seems to be extremely stable and below the average for these motors.

As they mention my Iron is creeping up yet still below average for these motors. One source of Iron could be the powder metal valve for which these motors have an known problem of excessive wear. What else would cause this slow increase in Iron. Should I be concerned? I am getting my heads checked for excessive guide wear in next month or so.

izcdbp.jpg

DH

Here is my latest UOA

Looks like my lead has definitely stabilized below the average for these motors for which I am very happy about.

Other than the Iron everything else seems to be extremely stable and below the average for these motors.

As they mention my Iron is creeping up yet still below average for these motors. One source of Iron could be the powder metal valve for which these motors have an known problem of excessive wear. What else would cause this slow increase in Iron. Should I be concerned? I am getting my heads checked for excessive guide wear in next month or so.

izcdbp.jpg

DH

I'd really like to see another UOA running PP/PUP or another quality oil then another one right after that one running Mobil again.

Stock AC/Delco. There are two listed for the motor, I have the newer model ...... forgot the part number.

Why do you ask??

DH

Originally Posted By: irv

I'd really like to see another UOA running PP/PUP or another quality oil then another one right after that one running Mobil again.

Don't hold your breath unless there is a consensus that this would actually help the Iron and not hurt the Lead readings.

DH

Stock AC/Delco. There are two listed for the motor, I have the newer model ...... forgot the part number.

Why do you ask??

DH

Thinking that a higher flow but finer filtering filter could perhaps be of benefit. Would be interesting to see if it has an impact on the iron. Something like the Fram Ultra or AMSOIL EaO.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Thinking that a higher flow but finer filtering filter could perhaps be of benefit. Would be interesting to see if it has an impact on the iron. Something like the Fram Ultra or AMSOIL EaO.

Will consider on my next oil change.
Thanks

DH

I say the iron is stable, and well within norms.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I say the iron is stable, and well within norms.

I appreciate that.

DH

Not sure why anyone would use Redline ... :eek:) seems if there is a question, its Redline ...

Why not try the recommended oil? Clearly the Redline isnt doing it for your engine.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Not sure why anyone would use Redline ... :eek:) seems if there is a question, its Redline ...

Why not try the recommended oil? Clearly the Redline isnt doing it for your engine.

Not sure if you just saw the OP or followed along.
Oil was changed to Mobil1 0w40 long time ago.
Look at my last Blackstone report a few posts above !!!

DH

Originally Posted By: irv

Don't hold your breath unless there is a consensus that this would actually help the Iron and not hurt the Lead readings.

DH

I haven't read all 30 pgs of this thread but judging from the UOAs I did see, what do you have to lose at this point?
I'd give PP or PUP a try at this point. Not saying it will, but the next UOA after a run of either oil may just surprise you?

Here is my latest oil change. The milage is a little less than normal as I had my cylinder heads replaced a couple of weeks ago. Disregard the Blackstone reference to head replacement as they obviously misunderstood what I was saying. I am doing oil change after 500 miles of break-in of heads. I will not be sending that for testing but will wait for normal interval after that.
[Linked Image]

DH

Back