Would Like the Manual Transmission to Make a Comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old musclecars are manual, so are my 2 jeeps. I prefer it, easy to rebuild which is rarely needed, and the car does what you want. Auto rebuilds are tough. The only ones I have done are th 350 and 400. I would hate to do an od trans. But my daily car is an automatic, stop and go traffic gets old in a manual.

I just returned from a trip to Europe and it was great to see M/Ts in virtually every vehicle....even big Mercedes and BMWs.
There were some cool cars that I wish were sold here....like Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Skodas, SEATs, Dacias etc....some of the French cars were pretty big....like the Peugeot 607 and a big Citroen sedan which I can't remember the model....all manual transmissioned...even the mini-vans.....cool.
Even Hyundai had different models in Europe....like I-30 and I-40....Saw a ton of Toyota's, a lot of Mazda's but not too many Honda's...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
In my opinion the demise of the manual transmission has been accelerated with the influx of safety systems like adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking.

Consumers want these systems in new cars. Anything that translates into a safer driving experience is worth it.

I guess most of the cars sold in Europe are stripped or unsafe eh? The demise of the manual in the USA is simply because most people cant even drive a Walmart motorized shopping cart never mind a stick, you want safety, teach them to drive the car not just aim it.

It's not that bad in traffic, you just leave room in front of you and coast. It's not fun but it's not the nightmare that some make it out to be. I live in Toronto and drive 95% city. Definitely worth the trade off.

There will be plenty of old cars available with manual transmissions during my lifetime, who cares what heaps the normies drive.

Originally Posted by Trav
In my opinion the demise of the manual transmission has been accelerated with the influx of safety systems like adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking.

Consumers want these systems in new cars. Anything that translates into a safer driving experience is worth it.

I guess most of the cars sold in Europe are stripped or unsafe eh? The demise of the manual in the USA is simply because most people cant even drive a Walmart motorized shopping cart never mind a stick, you want safety, teach them to drive the car not just aim it.

I didn't say that. As for teaching people to drive, that is seriously needed. I don't know what kids go through now for driving education but I went through defensive driving and such. I also had the experience of practicing in open areas or parking lots before speed bumps became the norm. Practicing during the snow taught me a lot.

I learned to drive with a manual but I would not have one today. In a typical traffic jam of 15-20 miles, stop and go, over time the clutch would get a workout. This is a daily occurrence here and normal. I've been in jams of well over 50 miles.

Anyway, I'm glad you can still shift over in Europe.

You've missed the third choice.

Manual, automatic and EV here... the EV is nicest in traffic, and pretty close to the manual on twisty roads.

I agree that driving a standard in rush hour big city traffic is horrible. I actually don't mind rush hour in an auto.

The Mustang can be ordered with a 6 speed and adaptive cruise. It works well. I don't think it has automatic braking (never tested it) but it does sense when it's too close and will apply max brakes when you hit the pedal if it senses the need.

Sometimes the manual gets annoying in traffic and my left knee now makes odd popping sounds after a long traffic session but it sure is fun and the noises it makes in Sport or Track mode are beautiful music!

Last edited:
I spent the last week looking for a car for my daughter, after her old Laser was written off. After driving around the horrible streets of Auckland for over 5 years, I thought she'd be wanting an auto now, but no she wants a manual, hates autos. So we found her an 06 Daihatsu Sirion (also sold as a Toyota Passo), and it's a manual. It's New Zealand new, which may explain it, the JDI's are nearly all auto. Both my daughters drive manuals.

Originally Posted by itguy08

The Mustang can be ordered with a 6 speed and adaptive cruise. It works well. I don't think it has automatic braking (never tested it) but it does sense when it's too close and will apply max brakes when you hit the pedal if it senses the need.

Sometimes the manual gets annoying in traffic and my left knee now makes odd popping sounds after a long traffic session but it sure is fun and the noises it makes in Sport or Track mode are beautiful music!

I curious as to how that manual transmission works with adaptive cruise? If the car slows as it detects traffic ahead the driver will have to shift down? It would be the same going the other way too. As an example, if my cruise is set to 70mph and I come up on traffic the car will slow but if I can pass to the left, as soon as I am in the open the car will accelerate.

Of course it depends on how slow the car got during that scenario whether you have to downshift or not

Plowing snow off my driveway with a stick shift sucks. Quite a lot to do. I'm also working the transfer case (2wd for tight corners) and plow controls.

Automatics are finally shifting the way I'd want them to, and cars make enough power they can be in the "wrong" gear and still be tolerable and without too much NVH.

The lousy 80s cars that pinged because they held lockup too long and hunted between 3rd and 4th are finally gone. That said there's probably a new automatic on the showroom floor I'd hate, somewhere. The 8-ish speed in the Transit van I commute in drops 2 gears on the turnpike when fully loaded.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
in the not so distant future.

Absolutely.

I drove my Ford Ranger regularly in Queens (NYC)/Belt Parkway traffic; the clutch on a big rig can get heavy, as can the clutch in a diesel F-350, but most cars and smaller trucks aren't anything that a healthy person couldn't acclimate themselves to.

With 200k on the odometer, my manual transmission has required little maintenance; fluid changes are a snap. I never have to worry about things going bad; about having the possible expense of a rebuilt transmission. I also love the freedom of choosing gears based on my driving style at the given moment.

I love the simplicity of the manual gearbox - especially with the advent of 8 and 10 speed automatics - and having a manual gearbox as an option will influence my next new car/truck purchase.

My little car has a 'robotised' manual gearbox. It's a bog standard manual gearbox but the gearshifting is done for you with a combination of sensors & actuators. There is no clutch pedal like you would find in a conventional manual (although the clutch plate is entirely conventional). You do have the option of driving it in manual mode but I rarely use it like that.

There are several advantages for this set up. First, it's very simple & light, so it's dirt cheap to make relative to a conventional torque converter or CVT. Secondly you get the fuel economy of a manual with the convenience of driving an auto. They're not popular because they're not perceived to be 'fun'. However for folks like me that drive only out of necessity, they're fine.

Just to illustrate the economy, I've just done 532+ miles on a full tank of 32 litres (8.45 US gallons) of UK 95 RON unleaded. I say '+' because there's still some petrol in the tank to go before the fuel light pings!

Last edited:
I put a Magnaflow axle-back exhaust on my JL. It isn't obnoxious, but brings just the right sound out of the 3.6 and makes going through the gears even more fun. I have to constantly debate whether I want to hear the engine or listen to the outstanding Alpine stereo. It's especially good with the top down and doors off.

Last edited:
My daily driver, a Chevy Suburban is obviously an automatic and I like the truck as is. I am building-restoring a 1968 roadrunner that was originally a stick car and it is absolutely staying a stick car.
If Dodge would make the new Charger with a six speed manual, I'd be first in line for one.

I have a buddy who's 72 and has never had anything but manuals. He currently drives a 2014 Camaro with a V6 and a six speed stick.

I feel in a street car and especially a second car that's a toy, stick is always fun.

Last edited:
I personally drive and own nothing but manuals. 6 speed is by far preferred over 5. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Even my 7 month old son sits in the car seat and would growl with pauses, simulating shifting. It's adorable.

My 5 year old adds turbo blowoff valve sounds in between shifts. I can't get enough of him.
thumbsup2.gif

Can't wait to teach him how to properly drive stick.

Wifey wants to upgrade our current Mazda 3 hatchback daily beater (6spd manual, of course) and asked what SUV comes with a manual. I LOVE this woman.

At the rate auto manufacturers are dropping the manual option these days... and with autonomous cars around the corner, I can't see manual transmissions being around, unless purely in a sports car.

I curious as to how that manual transmission works with adaptive cruise?
It probably works only at highway speeds or in top gear.

But I've been using cruise in the city for years (non-adaptive) to avoid speeding tickets — and my clever plan works — so if cruise is locked out at low speeds in a car with a manual transmission, I'd be doomed.

Well, I haven't given up yet! All I need is a '59 Oldsmobile with three on the tree and a ribbon speedometer that changes colour as the car speeds up.

Genius. Pure genius!

Along the same lines, I'd also like to see large displacement, naturally aspirated V-8s make a comeback too. Today's automotive world seems to have been taken over by small displacement engines with turbos...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back