Who runs a 20wt here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran 5w20 in my Journey 0 issues to report before it was in the accident. (Called for 5w20)

Now I'm running 0w20 in my Toyota that replaced the Journey. (Calls for 0w20)

Just so it's noted here.

Last edited:
0w-40 as per the oil cap (Castrol 0w-40 Euro presently) in the Jeep
5w-40 as per the oil cap (Delvac 1 5w-40 ESP presently) in the RAM

I ran 0w-20 in the Durango when we had it, as that's what the Pentastar spec'd.

Would I run it in the SRT? No.

I wouldn't expect you to run it in the SRT unless that is what it called for and you were operating under daily driving and not beating on it.

20 weight in the Grand Marquis 4.6 2V (Magnatec full syn 5W20), no noise, oil pressure, nor consumption issues. The last 3 company vans (E-250 4.6 2V, 2015 Transit 250 3.7, & 2018 Transit 250 3.7) are/were 5W20-unfortunately the new one lost a quart in its first 6500 miles, but the other 2 didn't use a drop in 100K. My mom's '06 Matrix also has 5W20 (back specced)-she never drives anywhere far, so it won't matter. 5W20 will give a slight MPG improvement over 30 or 40 weight-IF the engine is designed to handle it (& isn't worn enough to have oil pressure issues).

Oh I forgot my Dad's van that has over 300K in it ran 5w20 conventional before he got it with 180,000km on it. It's got over 300K on it now.

My mom's Kia ran 5w20 conventional for 300K KM's before she sold it to a friend who put another 100K on it before totaling it. (Don't know what oil they used)

My MIL's 2009 CRV uses 5w20, Now Amsoil but was on Conventional before for most of it's life.

My FIL's 2017 Caravan is running 5w20 Amsoil. 0 Issues so far although it's young but having the same engine as my dad's van I suspect it will be just fine.

0W-20 in my Legacy, as is in my signature. I've used a quart of GC 0W-30 to make it full once or twice, but I have no issues running 0W-20 for the rest of its life.

I would add-if I lived Down Under, with possible "winter" high temps of 40C/104F or over regularly-I would probably not use 20 weight in anything, I would probably be a little nervous with an xW30!

If you use it, you'll increase your wear for the benefit of added fuel economy! So says some Honda people in the 1990's ion a completely speculative memo lacking data, control groups, long term studies, or pretty much anything else we would call actual "science" and the ear of 5W-20 SJ oils. Maybe they were all Speed-dating with Ross Jeffries and his NLP systems for getting girls? Critical minds wanna know!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would add-if I lived Down Under, with possible "winter" high temps of 40C/104F or over regularly-I would probably not use 20 weight in anything, I would probably be a little nervous with an xW30!

Why would you worry? The inside of the engine gets a lot hotter than the outside temperature. The cooling system will take care of the rest.

Now if you are screaming up the long grade out of Vegas or LA all the time in the hot summer, maybe a adjustment might be needed.

I've run 5w20 and 0w20 in Hondas since 2005, with nothing but 0w20 since 2014 or earlier. My Toyotas have seen nothing but 0w20 since 2010. That's a cumulative 425K miles. Nothing to complain about.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
If you use it, you'll increase your wear for the benefit of added fuel economy! So says some Honda people in the 1990's and the ear of 5W-20 SJ oils. Maybe they were all Speeddating with Ross Jefferies and his NLP systems?
smile.gif

Or perhaps the engineering wasn't up to the task for a 20wt. Like oil cooling, bearing / ring materials and engineering etc.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
I've run 5w20 and 0w20 in Hondas since 2005, with nothing but 0w20 since 2014 or earlier. My Toyotas have seen nothing but 0w20 since 2010. That's a cumulative 425K miles. Nothing to complain about.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Why would you worry? The inside of the engine gets a lot hotter than the outside temperature. The cooling system will take care of the rest.

Now if you are screaming up the long grade out of Vegas or LA all the time in the hot summer, maybe a adjustment might be needed.

+1

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
If you use it, you'll increase your wear for the benefit of added fuel economy! So says some Honda people in the 1990's and the ear of 5W-20 SJ oils. Maybe they were all Speeddating with Ross Jefferies and his NLP systems?
smile.gif

Or perhaps the engineering wasn't up to the task for a 20wt. Like oil cooling, bearing / ring materials and engineering etc.

Firstly, it sounds like some speculative internal document made out as some sort of smoking gun. At some point, I might just show off my once worthless but now valuable Quaker State Lubrication Guide for the period of 1987-1996 (IIRC). In it, it is said that "5W-30 in not recommended for sustained high-speed driving". That was also dated circa the 1980s, much like a lot of the selectively culled opinions posed here as fact and "science"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back