Nasty looking oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the filter on tight. I bet the oil change place they used didn't have the wrench or filter and just left it on there. Or some bonehead didn't see a regular can filter and assumed it didn't have a oil filter. "dese' new cars dont need oil filters no mo."

One possibility is the place where the suv was taken to for oil changes never bothered to change the filter and only changed the oil.

And the engine was probably still running good and smooth.

We know the bypass mechanism is working.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
One possibility is the place where the suv was taken to for oil changes never bothered to change the filter and only changed the oil.

Or changed neither and still billed them.

First thing I do if looking at a used vehicle is look inside the oil fill cap on the valve cover with a strong flashlight.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by loneryder
That's the best use of a Wash Post I've seen in a long time.

HAHAHA yes this is true

Yes...it's pretty funny that the WP states "Democracy dies in Darkness" while pushing the narrative that un-classification of FISA warrant documents would jeopardize 'National Security'.....all of a sudden the media cares about this???

Jiffy Lube?!?!?!
lol.gif

I don't think so! That kind of gunk comes from failing to change the oil. If they changed the oil on schedule, but neglected the filter for a very long time, it might be clogged with wear particles, etc., but not with globs of sludge.

I heard that certain Chevy trucks had engines gunking up problems. Maybe dino oil and lax changes? That was one heck of a picture.

Originally Posted by CR94
I don't think so! That kind of gunk comes from failing to change the oil. If they changed the oil on schedule, but neglected the filter for a very long time, it might be clogged with wear particles, etc., but not with globs of sludge.

Even though I was doing some JL bashing, there were a number of undercover investigations where they and other "quick lubes" never changed the oil, filter, or even installed used oil. They were also found to put in oil that didn't meet any specs. I'll bet there's some stories here about that.

I digress. Agree that this looks like just plain neglect.

I bet if you keep changing the oil every couple thousand miles that engine would still last a long time. If it was left as is it probably would not have done very well at all. It looks like you caught it before it completely ruined the engine. Hopefully it will run a long time for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back