Gen 8 Accord rear brakes-What tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what they say about our assuming things.
I assumed that the '12 Accord would have a little drum inside the hat to provide for a parking/emergency brake, like every proper car, Subarus for example.
Wrong. It has instead the PITA setup which uses mechanical actuation of the pads for this purpose, just like the Gen 6.
Are there any inexpensive tools that will allow one to turn the piston while pushing it back in?
The piston has a head like an enormous Philips head screw, so I could envision a tool that engages the head that has a couple of feet extending to the other side of the piston bore and can be turned with a ratchet and maybe an extension.
Anyone have any suggestions?

The ratcheting piston sucks big time on my Olds.

I have used a flat blade screw driver, and c-clamp to get the ratcheting piston back flush. It's slow to go, but it will get you there. I have the factory manual, and showed where to put the tip of the screwdriver, so not to mar the piston in the critical areas.

Cube did not work with mine because I could not get enough pressure on the piston. I threw it in the trash where it belongs.

I have the cube and it works, most of the time, barely, always scary if it works or not!

The cube for $10 from Amazon, I'd spend $20-$25 and buy a better kit as linked above, or borrow from AAP or AZ.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The "cube" works fine on that particular caliper set-up.

Yeap, that works quite well.

Some people even use a larger screwdriver. I have actually used a spare tire lug wrench that has a really large flat-head screwdriver 'end'. The hardest part about not using the cube tool or something more specialized is you almost need 3 or 4 hands - one set to hold the caliper and one to use the tool.

I use this on my accord.
[Linked Image]

Also my left rear parking brake cable is rusted pretty bad, not sure how involved that fix is...

Last edited:
I still have my trusty Harbor Freight kit from my college days... seriously. 10 years later and it works just fine, because why wouldn't it?

The thing that cracks me up about it is that it came with both left- and right-handed adapters. It took me all of 10 years to find a use for the right-hand unit, until I discovered the new Ford Transit. Not the Connect, the full-size. They have the most idiotic rear brake setup (which involves unbolting the rotor from the axle, rotating it 30 degrees, and sliding it off the axle shaft) I've ever seen, INCLUDING using a right-handed caliper on the right rear brake.

The proper tool is well worth the investment.

Yea, big screwdriver or something big and flat. There's no need to overthink it, if you have something that fits the bill handy there's no reason to go chasing a tool around for it. Not rocket science. Anything that will spin it and not tear up the seals will do.

Thanks guys.
This should be a little more simple than I thought.

As ctechbob said, as you slowly screw in the piston, watch the seals. You may have to hold them or re-position the seals as you screw in the piston.

I don't remember turning mine in when I replaced the read pads on mine. I think I used c-clamps to push the pistons in. I did it twice, 29k and 75k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back