Lawn mower trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a lawn mower that doesn't run. Its a Bolens 21" with briggs engine. Seems to have compression based on pulling force. Will start on ether and run briefly. Drained the fuel, it was definitely old and separated. Removed and cleaned the carb, the carb is plastic so it wasn't too bad, cleaned the needle and orifice, float moves way better. Spark plug didn't look too bad but replaced it anyways. Still no luck. No visible damage to blade to indicate timing problem.
What else can I try?

Originally Posted by dlundblad
How's the air filter? Try starting the mower without it.

Filter isn't too bad, Gave it a good cleaning. Doesn't change with filter off.

The fact you say it runs briefly on ether tells me something still isn't right with the fuel delivery. Also, just because the blade looks ok, doesn't mean the flywheel key is perfect. It gets stressed everytime the engine brake is applied when you release the safety arm on the handle.

Last edited:
How's the fuel line?

Is there any screen inside the tank that filters the fuel? check to see if that's plugged up

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
How's the fuel line?

Is there any screen inside the tank that filters the fuel? check to see if that's plugged up

Fuel line seems to flow fine, based on taking the tank off and gas streaming out. I will check for a filter, but the carb is filling with gas.

Gust in case , look on the internet & see what a new carb costs .

Is there a vent built in the gas cap ? Is it functioning OK ( try running it w/o the gas cap ) . This is a shot in the dark ?

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Check the head bolts are tight. Look for an air leak, such as the gasket between carb and head/ intake gaskets.

More probably an air leak due to cracked plastic carburetor "pipe" /flange....they often crack at head bolts because of vibrations...

Those plastic carbs are not meant to be cleaned. They cost like $10-$20. Throw it away, put a new carb on it, and it will start on the second pull and run like new.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

More probably an air leak due to cracked plastic carburetor "pipe" /flange....they often crack at head bolts because of vibrations...

I thought plastic maniford
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Cleaned the carb yet again- no luck. Ordered and installed a new carb and the thing runs like a champ. Thanks bubbatime!

Appreciate everyone's help and responses.

Good deal!

The only replacement cheapo carb I've ever had issues with is the one for my 18hp briggs 600 series. I'm on my 2nd one and still can't get it to run right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back