2017 nissan sentra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girlfriend has a '17 nissan sentra. Has roughly 17k miles now. Dealer was putting in 5w30 from what the sticker on her windshield said. But her car manual calls for 0w20. Ive read on this forum that it may be better to go higher weight than what the manual says.

Is it better to just stick with the 0w20 due to warranty or should I put in a slightly heavier oil?

Oil used would be Mobil 1.

I'd stick with whatever they need for warranty purposes because if the Sentras/Versa are still the total pieces of garbage they were in 2012/2013 you'll be getting tons of work done!!!

My Versa needed an engine at 7000 miles and again at 27000, I told them to keep it and then got talked into a "deal on a 2013 Sentra" and regretted that one too. Engine started rattling the same and lacking power at 13000 miles. Those cars were the biggest hunks of junk I've ever seen and will never buy another new Nissan again!

Good luck!

It will be fine with either but use the grade the manual calls for during your warranty period if you have concerns.

Absolutely not going to hurt anything, and you're covered anyway since the dealer is the one doing it.

I ran 5W-30 in my Mazda CX-3 that had 0W-20 printed on the oil cap. No issues, performance or otherwise.

According to the owners manual, either 5w-30 conventional for 5000 miles or 0w-20 synthetic for 7500 miles.

We use Supertech 0w-20 for 5000 mile intervals with a fram OCOD in the '17 long term renta-sentra.

I had a lengthy discussion with the service manager at the Nissan dealership where I bought my '14 Altima, as well as where we take it for service. I negotiated oil changes into the purchase when I bought it new, and so we take it there for every oil change @ 5,000 mile intervals. I was always of the understanding they were using the 0w20 oil that was spec'd for the engine by Nissan, but I found out after looking at the work invoice after we took it there about a year ago for one, that they were using a 5w30, and a non "Full-syn" one at that. During our discussion, I pointed out within the manual provided by Nissan where it said to use 0w20, and he ended up taking a while and finding some TSB that he had received a couple years back where apparently Nissan says that 5w30 is acceptable.

We discussed the whole warranty issue, and he pointed out within the document where it basically said it would not void coverage, etc.. and I reminded him of Magnuson-Moss and the fact I had a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Since it's the dealer doing it, and I keep all the paperwork they give us after each service, I can live with it.

Also, I live in Phoenix, and I figure the thicker oil may potentially work better in the hot summers. Heck, I frequently run 5w30 in my Fusion, which calls for 5w20.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'd stick with whatever they need for warranty purposes because if the Sentras/Versa are still the total pieces of garbage they were in 2012/2013 you'll be getting tons of work done!!!

My Versa needed an engine at 7000 miles and again at 27000, I told them to keep it and then got talked into a "deal on a 2013 Sentra" and regretted that one too. Engine started rattling the same and lacking power at 13000 miles. Those cars were the biggest hunks of junk I've ever seen and will never buy another new Nissan again!

Good luck!

Glad you got that off your chest?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by racin4ds

Good luck!

Glad you got that off your chest?

Yes, very! Is that a problem for you? Last I checked this forum wasn't against opinions and freedom of speech. I feel compelled to warn other of Nissan's junk-venture with Renault and folks should know they are NOT what they used to be.

That's your opinion and it's not conducive to this discussion.

Back on topic, you can run either grade and be fine. The M1 is a great choice.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The M1 is a great choice.

And that would be your opinion which is also not conductive to the discussion.
wink.gif

I had a 2014 Sentra while I was living in Tucson. Bought it at Thoroughbred Nissan. My first free oil change they did, I noticed it was 5W-30 conventional. Figured it would have been thinner synthetic, but, dealer said 5W-30 conventional was A-OK from Nissan's point of view. Went with it, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Even in 100+ degree temperature driving. It should be just fine for your lady and her Sentra.
smile.gif

the owners manual for both my Nissans state that 0W-20 or 5W-30 may be used. given your climate, 5W-30 is especially fine!

Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423
The girlfriend has a '17 nissan sentra. Has roughly 17k miles now. Dealer was putting in 5w30 from what the sticker on her windshield said. But her car manual calls for 0w20. Ive read on this forum that it may be better to go higher weight than what the manual says.

Is it better to just stick with the 0w20 due to warranty or should I put in a slightly heavier oil?

I'll guess the owners manual also mentions 5W30. Other Nissan owners here seem to agree.

Originally Posted by CR94
What does the oil cap say?

The cap won't say anything on a Nissan. There should be a sticker on the hood.

Originally Posted by jahwarrior1423

Which is rather sad, really...

You should use 0W-20, as the OEM states. As far as the 5W-30, there is no issue using it other than the (s)tealership your GF gets her car serviced at are a bunch of [censored] that are saving money by using (presumably) conventional 5W-30 instead of a synthetic 0W-20. If you want to use 5W-30, at least use full synthetic. Which of course is fine...

I didnt see anything that also mentioned 5w30...but ill look into it again.

I wanted to start doing a oil analysis on her vehicle.

I would like to say it says 0w20 under the hood also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back