Laughing hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I'm in my office working on quotes etc. and while I wait for some information I keep hearing this bang from an 2nd floor entrance door that is just outside of my office door to the outside on the ground floor.

It has been banging for weeks because the closer is out of adjustment but as I'm mainly on the road I hadn't really thought about it. It's banging so hard I thought the glass was going to break at some point.

So I thought let me see if I can adjust the screws on the closer when no one is around to stop it from banging because it's really annoying and it's shaking the frame which my glass door and windows are also apart of and the ceiling between us and that entrance to the second floor. Sure enough it's a 2 stage closer and it's out of adjustment on the 2nd stage. I adjusted it and it stopped the noise.

Next thing I know I see two ladies outside having a smoke and they keep opening the door and letting it close and then examining the door and sort of look dumbfounded.
I can see them but they can't see me because I have a one-way film on my windows. Then a guy comes out to join them for their smoke break and he starts playing with the door also looking dumbfounded.

Anyway I sat here and laughed, maybe because it's Friday, but more so at them thinking some sort of Magic fixed the door by itself.

Just thought I would share. I'll see if I can snap a photo to add later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I know how that feels. I frequently fix things at work. New lightbulbs in the bathroom, used some heater hose to relocate the drain from the AC into the sink rather than dripping on your head when you use said sink. Tightened the striker on the front door so it actually locks properly and I don't get called at midnight from the alarm company (though I'm dumb for fixing that since I get paid 2 hours time to drive 20 mins round trip)...

That's funny....not Ha-Ha funny but slightly odd because I am under the impression "office people" just picked up the phone when something went wrong. Any problem was then handled by building management or some contract holder. i.e. slow running water fountain= call the guy who changes the filters. Copier down? Call the copier guys etc.

I'd assume any smokers out there would just think, "Ohh, somebody came by and fixed the door".

Know what I mean?

Kira, I know what you mean, I think the reason they noticed was because it was banging with such force and I know the landlord here is a bit laxxed at fixing things. I have had 8 of the 12 fluorescent tubes in the lights in my office burn't out for almost 3 months since I got here and he keeps saying he's coming to replace them. I told him I would do it myself if he will just give me the bulbs. "Oh no sir, we couldn't have you doing that for liability" Really?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
I know how that feels. I frequently fix things at work. New lightbulbs in the bathroom, used some heater hose to relocate the drain from the AC into the sink rather than dripping on your head when you use said sink. Tightened the striker on the front door so it actually locks properly and I don't get called at midnight from the alarm company (though I'm dumb for fixing that since I get paid 2 hours time to drive 20 mins round trip)...

I'm the same, if I can do it I will sort of thing. Just get it done is my attitude.

Oh yes, really,....on ladder work on his turf.

And there are possible regulations on the disposal of the old tubes. It's additionally funny that there isn't a "light bulb guy" on tap.

Last edited:
Kira,

If I didn't have the glass door and windows to the outside in my office I wouldn't have enough light to see properly in/out of the office sort of thing so he's lucky I didn't trip/fall.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
Oh yes, really on ladder work on his turf.

ladders suck. i hate ladders. i stopped making good money doing side work for a friend running cables for networking and stuff because it involved ladders. if it involves a ladder, i don't do it. At work, when it comes to getting rack and pinion assemblies off the top shelf using a ladder i always position the ladder so if i screw up the remanufactured repackaged Cardone junk will end up on the floor - not me.

Oh yeah, if it's a quick fix, I sometimes do it. At the gym I've fixed a toilet seat that was loose. It was a small gym and only a few guys. I was temped to fixed the door knob that was loose, but never got around to bringing in a screwdriver to take it apart. Sometimes when I'm in a unit, I set the clocks on the microwave or oven.

To dogememe: You said, "... i always position the ladder so if i screw up the remanufactured repackaged Cardone junk will end up on the floor - not me."

THAT is just plain smart.

When I was a kid working for my friend's father, I had to crate an engine for warranty reasons. I asked for help rocking it into the cradle I had built. It got away and I went to stop it.

My coworker shoved me away forcefully (like a football player) and told me, "You were going to catch an engine George? It's garbage. You could've lost a finger."

Some day I'll run into him and buy him a beer.

I wouldn't do anything where the risk is huge on a leased property such as this but changing the bulbs on a 12ft high ceiling on a sturdy "A-frame" type ladder is well within not being dangerous for me anyway. I'm just not paying for the bulbs because why should I.

As a teenager we used to use the shop at a friend's dad's company to wash our cars in the winter. We replaced the lamps above the truck bays because they were burned out. the union rep filed a complaint because we took work away from them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tomcat27
As a teenager we used to use the shop at a friend's dad's company to wash our cars in the winter. We replaced the lamps above the truck bays because they were burned out. the union rep filed a complaint because we took work away from them.

At the previous company I worked for I had a union grievance filed because I took what I needed from the warehouse (with permission from my boss) when the guy that mans the office was away from his desk. 1 Jug of chemical and he freaked out about it. I didn't even know the warehouse staff was union until that point.
crazy2.gif

Lol, ya you have
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by tomcat27

At the previous company I worked for I had a union grievance filed because I took what I needed from the warehouse (with permission from my boss) when the guy that mans the office was away from his desk. 1 Jug of chemical and he freaked out about it. I didn't even know the warehouse staff was union until that point.
crazy2.gif

Lol, ya you have to be careful when working with the unions.:) Everyone has a job for a reason in those places.:) I often tell people that they can't do that because it will take away someone's job.:)

I've had several grievances filed against me. We were hand filling 5000 vials of experimental drug and needed to check the weights every 10 minutes. We weren't allowed to use the balance and had to have a union member do that for us. After hours of tedious filling in a clean room, we were almost done. Had about 15 minutes to go until we finish and our union weight checkers said it was break time. We asked them to wait 5 minutes to get the last weight check so we could finish but they just looked at us like we were crazy. We finished on our own. Next day there was a grievance. Someone spotted me with a screwdriver and that was another grievance. Only union folks can be in possession of tools.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I worked for a unionised utility and was quickly taken aside and told the rules from the older guys. It went something like this," kid, your doing too much around here and you need to slow down, you keep that up and your going to hurt yourself". I learned quickly to just do your job.lol

I could understand if I assembled a whole skid or something but it was 1 jug I needed for a sample. What time did I steal from the guy 10 seconds? LOL

Originally Posted by A310
When I was a kid I worked for a unionised utility and was quickly taken aside and told the rules from the older guys. It went something like this," kid, your doing too much around here and you need to slow down, you keep that up and your going to hurt yourself". I learned quickly to just do your job.lol

When my brother worked at the Chrysler Parts warehouse (Now called Mopar) here in the summer while going to school he got told that regularly. He would always say to them, if I go any slower I will be walking backwards. Now these are older folks and unionized and I get that they can't work at the same pace as a summer student who is 1/2 - 1/4 of their age but c'mon steady work flow at least not wandering around most of the day so that you hope they call you for overtime like these guys did.

Last edited:
Taiwanese are completely dumbfounded by this sort of thing.

I've actually had a staffer here say " But I thought your degree was in Biology, not Engineering?" when I was working on my car, and I don't think he was kidding.

I was pumping the tyre up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back