Storing Car Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been faced with kind of a dilemma, my aunt just sold her big house and needs to store her SLK 320 at my house atleast over the winter. The garage is not an option as that's where the GTI will be "stored". She said she bought an all weather cover, but I know those can be problematic. I'm going to suggest a temporary canopy garage; they can be picked up for around $200. We do have snow as a concern to deal with, but it doesn't get real heavy but maybe once or twice a year. Any suggestions from you guys? A storage unit is not an option at this point as she wants someone to tend to it.

With a coupon this can be had for under $200.00

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62859.html

62859_zzz_500.jpg

What's the dilemma? I park my E350 outside all the time. Just brush the snow off afterwards and drive it around every couple of weeks and keep it washed. The cover might be worse as that can trap water underneath, but maybe it'll save you from having to wash it that often.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
What's the dilemma? I park my E350 outside all the time. Just brush the snow off afterwards and drive it around every couple of weeks and keep it washed. The cover might be worse as that can trap water underneath, but maybe it'll save you from having to wash it that often.

Guess I wouldn't call it a dilemma per say, heh, just never had to keep a vehicle outside that doesn't get driven much. I do have plenty of paved parking, even with now 5 vehicles between two driveways. I could do a full detail and keep a good sealant on it. Driving it on good weather days (that's what I do with the GTI in the winter) would probably be better than sitting. It gets driven maybe 4-5 times a year, some use would do it good.

Get a couple containers of Damp Rid just in case. Keep one container in use in the vehicle to help keep the interior moisture down. I know it sounds funny, but if a vehicle isn't being driven, you'd be surprised how much moisture gets inside and can cause mildew and such. The Damp Rid eliminates this issue.

Outside winter stage is actually very easy on the car, contrary to the popular belief. The UV index during winter is the lowest and snow is pure water with little contaminants. Did anybody ever hear about acid snow?

I would not drive it every few weeks as suggested above, unless you know there is no salt, even the dry powder on the road, only then I might consider driving it. Otherwise the car will be more than fine with nothing done to it.

I'd be worried about a cheap tarp garage falling down under snow or storm. You could brace it with 2x3's.

I'd think it'd sit just fine, disconnect the battery and call it a day. Maybe fill the tank up first. My only concern would be rotors. If you could cover over the tires maybe the rotors would keep from rusting. In the dead of winter they might not rust--but if you were park today and not move until June then I'd be concerned.

Originally Posted by supton
I'd be worried about a cheap tarp garage falling down under snow or storm. You could brace it with 2x3's.

I'd think it'd sit just fine, disconnect the battery and call it a day. Maybe fill the tank up first. My only concern would be rotors. If you could cover over the tires maybe the rotors would keep from rusting. In the dead of winter they might not rust--but if you were park today and not move until June then I'd be concerned.

Well that was the point of driving it every few weeks, keeps the rust off. I know in the MB forums there have been members who had problems with rusted up rotors, they were so bad they had to swap out rotors. Not sure how long it sat though. Around here, the roads are usually dry a few days after a storm so I guess it probably makes sense not to drive it after a storm and wait til it's clear. I take mine to a car wash though and have them do an undercarriage wash as part of the car wash. Not sure what year the car is, but MB switched a lot of parts to aluminum but it's still steel underneath.

Check all I say as I'm "brainstorming" this one.

1) Doesn't a full sized (bigger than the footprint of the temporary garage) tarp on the ground stop some of the moisture assault?

2) 5-56 the rotors. 5-56 is an outdoor water repellant (CRC, I think)

3) crank up the tires (40-45 psi) so they're less likely to develop flat spots

4) Disconnect the battery or maybe even store it inside.

5) Make sure the washer fluid is the cold stuff not the cheap blue stuff from the dollar store

6) DO NOT set the hand / parking brake of a stored car

7) Use sacks of mothballs to repel mice. Replace 'em as the mothballs sublimate. Do this underhood too as the wiring is tasty to some

8) CAREFULLY clean the interior of ALL food droppings. I'll tell you "The Raccoon Story" some other time

Originally Posted by Kira
Check all I say as I'm "brainstorming" this one.

1) Doesn't a full sized (bigger than the footprint of the temporary garage) tarp on the ground stop some of the moisture assault?

2) 5-56 the rotors. 5-56 is an outdoor water repellant (CRC, I think)

3) crank up the tires (40-45 psi) so they're less likely to develop flat spots

4) Disconnect the battery or maybe even store it inside.

5) Make sure the washer fluid is the cold stuff not the cheap blue stuff from the dollar store

6) DO NOT set the hand / parking brake of a stored car

7) Use sacks of mothballs to repel mice. Replace 'em as the mothballs sublimate. Do this underhood too as the wiring is tasty to some

8) CAREFULLY clean the interior of ALL food droppings. I'll tell you "The Raccoon Story" some other time

Agree with all, EXCEPT the 5-56 part. It's advertised as lubricant. No way I would put that on rotors. Ever.

I would either find an inside place, or just drive it every few weeks to keep rotors clean, condensation down, and battery charged. Pick a nice clear, dry day, and take it for a run of 30 minutes or so.

Geeze, I've never had a garage to park cars in or pavement for that matter. Just put a good coat of wax or other sealant on it and don't worry about it. Only drive it when the roads are bone dry if there's even a hint of salt on them. There is no way I would trust my car in one of those temporary shelter tents. One good puff of wind or a heavy snow and that's all she wrote.

I'd love to live in a place where a fabric, temporary shelter wouldn't become a play-thing for the weather. That thing would be down at the end of my street in someone else's back yard within 2 weeks.

Change the oil, fill it up with gas, thoroughly detail it, put moth balls under the hood, in the cabin, and in the trunk, inflate the tires to the max. pressure noted on the sidewall, apply a coat of sealant, apply a good preservative to the tires (303, for instance) and put on a GOOD, secure cover.

My friend used to store his '86 911 Targa like this, in Wyoming, without ANY of the prep I listed, and it was fine.

I would not use one of those tents here in the frozen north. Just wait until it collapses under 2 feet of snow and wrecks your car's hood and roof.

I wouldn't over think this. I'd be happy that it would be off the street and parked on pavement. Hopefully, some cats will keep the varmints away and I'd use some spray detailer if it gets hit with bird bombs. That's about it other than what WylieCoyote mentioned.

There's a place here that stores cars indoors with battery tenders, blankets, tire pressure monitoring, tire cushions, security, insurance, etc... Which would be the next step up. Runs about $700 for six months. So maybe find a place nearby that does this.

https://gkspolishing.com/storage/

Last edited:
As long as you're not parking it on grass/dirt and anchoring down the tarp garage so it does not move and clearing heavy snow you'll be OK. Parking on humid ground/grass will rot out the cars underside really quick and the humidity gets into suspension components with surface oxidation. So after a month or two back on the road you'll start to get bad components one after another as the minuscule amounts of oxides do their work on inside.

Good points from all, thanks! It's looking like a good detail and driven in the good weather is the best option. Parking is lax around here and there's plenty of driveway space and street parking infront of both houses, even though it won't be on the street. The car is a 6 speed manual so the parking brake will have to be used as the driveway is slightly sloped and I don't trust leaving it just in gear. We'll have to just keep it in check. I know she'll want to use the all weather cover, but I'll try and get her not to use it. It will likely get an oil change before the cold hits (guess I gained a couple cars to do this on now, sheesh, lol.)

Originally Posted by Delta
Good points from all, thanks! It's looking like a good detail and driven in the good weather is the best option. Parking is lax around here and there's plenty of driveway space and street parking infront of both houses, even though it won't be on the street. The car is a 6 speed manual so the parking brake will have to be used as the driveway is slightly sloped and I don't trust leaving it just in gear. We'll have to just keep it in check. I know she'll want to use the all weather cover, but I'll try and get her not to use it. It will likely get an oil change before the cold hits (guess I gained a couple cars to do this on now, sheesh, lol.)

Go get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 0w40 now while the $12 rebate is still on if you haven't already. It's $22.88 at Walmart. You might need 2 as my E350 takes 8.5 quarts.

1. Breathable cover
2. Oil spray undercarriage and engine bay
3. Full detail
4. Change all fluids
5. Tires to max psi
6. Fog engine
7. Remove battery
Done.

Wouldn't it make more sense to find a pole barn and store it inside? "she wants you to tend it"....what the he!! does that even mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back