Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30, 5742 mi, Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
The Tundra requires that the oil change be done at 5,000 miles for a flex-fuel vehicle (mine is), with a 2,500 mile interval for severe service in a flex-fuel vehicle. I do run E85 fairly often (it's $1.79 here on base, and while my MPG declines, my cost per mile is cheaper on E85 than gasoline). I mentioned this to Blackstone, and it's the reason that I wanted a UOA. I had gone a bit over Toyota's required OCI, and I was running E85 often.

The truck also specifies a 0W20 (TGMO) and for the first two years that I owned it, Toyota changed the oil. Interestingly, our local dealer in VB used Valvoline 0W20, not the TGMO. For this change, the first that I had done, I got a great deal on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30, so I ran that with a genuine Toyota filter. I've still got a couple of jugs of the 5W30 Ultra Platinum, so it won't be back on 0W20 for a while...

Tundra UOA 20180913 redact.jpg

It looks like a good report, and the oil certainly could have gone longer. I'd stick with the oil.

Thanks, I agree. Toyota cut the OCI quite short for flex fuel (it's ordinarily 10,000 miles on this engine) and I was wondering if perhaps the E85 would deplete the TBN faster. That doesn't appear to be the case...

Great looking UOA using Pennzoil. Since the fuel doesn't seem to be a negative factor, I would also increase the OCI like Blackstone mentions. I would assume after your next one, if you choose to get one, Blackstone will recommend a 10,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Why would E85 require a shorter oci?

I don't know. Its Toyota's requirement.

I was wondering if, perhaps, the combustion byproducts from E85, were more acidic, thus depleting the additives more quickly. Or, perhaps, perhaps more water is formed, having a similar result.

All I know for certain is that the owners manual stipulates half the OCI for the flex fuel Tundra over the regular fuel Tundra.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Why would E85 require a shorter oci?

I don't know. Its Toyota's requirement.

I was wondering if, perhaps, the combustion byproducts from E85, were more acidic, thus depleting the additives more quickly. Or, perhaps, perhaps more water is formed, having a similar result.

All I know for certain is that the owners manual stipulates half the OCI for the flex fuel Tundra over the regular fuel Tundra.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
cheers3.gif

I believe they shorten the OCI from the manufacture for the extra fuel burnt. For every how many miles you go with gas, running e85 would net you in burning 30% more fuel.
I wonder if they are worried about fuel dillution.

Originally Posted by MoparMan12
I believe they shorten the OCI from the manufacture for the extra fuel burnt. For every how many miles you go with gas, running e85 would net you in burning 30% more fuel.
I wonder if they are worried about fuel dilution.

I would assume that that is their reasoning but I'd like to find out for sure and see the tests/R&D info that made them conclude that?

Originally Posted by Astro14
Thanks, I agree. Toyota cut the OCI quite short for flex fuel (it's ordinarily 10,000 miles on this engine) and I was wondering if perhaps the E85 would deplete the TBN faster. That doesn't appear to be the case...

^^^^^^

I'd bet you are likely correct about this here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back