How a Power Steering Rack Works (Electronic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbsup2.gif

My 2017 Ford Fusion has this type of unit and was wondering how durable electric power steering is? My 2007 Fusion has 232K and have never had a bit of trouble with either the pump or rack.

Last edited:
I like how around the 4 minute mark his thumb picks up some green tape. Maybe from the special tool?

The sensors look like magnetic sensors (around 5:56) to me. The plastic gears must have some magnets on them for those IC's to see the rotation, if I'm right.

Hyundai has it electronics steering I got to say it's tight and it's quick but it'll ware You out on a long trip unless you have one of the adjustable versions. No sweet spot in the middle of the car is always wanting to go somewhere. Overall I'm not all that impressed and add to it a lot of people have problems with various forms of failure. How many of the good all fashion Hydraulic types have you ever seen go bad🤷ðŸ¼â€â™‚ï¸

Originally Posted by Driz
Hyundai has it electronics steering I got to say it's tight and it's quick but it'll ware You out on a long trip unless you have one of the adjustable versions. No sweet spot in the middle of the car is always wanting to go somewhere. Overall I'm not all that impressed and add to it a lot of people have problems with various forms of failure. How many of the good all fashion Hydraulic types have you ever seen go bad🤷ðŸ¼â€â™‚ï¸

My Santa Fe which had Hydraulic steering was like that and I found it was the alignment was out from the factory. I wonder if you have the same issue? My mom's Kia was also off from the factory. We noticed it in the tire wear in the first 20K

I installed electronic power steering on my 1951 Chevy pickup. It was very touchy (understatement of the century) at first but we dialed back the pressure with a valve from Heidts. My pump came from EV Source. https://evsource.com/products/electric-power-steering-kit It's been going for right at about 2 years and so far I'm pleased. Keep in mind, this unit doesn't self adjust with the RPM/speed like the ones on modern cars, so it's only designed to be a minimum assist. Hence the use of the proportioning valve.

Originally Posted by Driz

My two newer Toyota's have zero on center dead zone and they can be wander prone. And are conventional hydraulic steering.

I've heard of plenty of of PS pumps going bad, racks and hoses can go bad. If it has more than zero parts... it can go bad.

Originally Posted by tig1
My 2017 Ford Fusion has this type of unit and was wondering how durable electric power steering is? My 2007 Fusion has 232K and have never had a bit of trouble with either the pump or rack.

My 08 Escape (first year of that system) had no problems besides something that makes a funny noise in the steering column sometimes, and it's got 220K on it at the moment. Just had it back to install a new master cyl and oil filter adapter and the steering is perfect. I expect my other Escape will not give me any trouble either.

Our Tahoe, Z71 PU, Cruze, and Fusion are all electric … so as of a week ago I have nothing using power steering fluid …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back