Toslink optical audio cable (plastic) experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connected a 6 ft cable from tv to a passive splitter. From splitter, connected one 6 ft cable to my sound base and another to my Bluetooth transmitter used with my Bluetooth headphones. Volume on the sound base was fine, but the headphones weren't as loud as I wanted. Changed all cables to 3 ft length and headphones are now fine.

The 6' cable seems to have created a partial black hole which was impeding the travel of light...

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
The 6' cable seems to have created a partial black hole which was impeding the travel of light...
I didn't realize the danger I was in. LOL

Not all cables are made equal, while I do think Monster Cable is overpriced and overrated, you don't want to use cheap cables for anything more than a reasonable run - many consumer AV applications fall into that category.

I usually use Amazon Basics cables for most of my needs, I believe they come from the major Chinese/Taiwanese cable suppliers(Space Shuttle, Copartner). I've used their 6' TOSLINKs for my parent's home theater setup and it seems to work fine.

I think the splitter might have caused trouble with longer cables - ideally each device gets a separate feed. For a soundbar, there might be a set of RCAs or another TOSLINK out - better ones have Bluetooth built in for streaming.

TOSLINK is digital fiber optic and so impervious to noise and quality loss ...So as long as the photonic bits are crossing the link there can be no loss in volume or content. if you are referring to single copper RCA ended encoded link it is also digital with same response ...impervious to noise and quality loss as long as the communication packets are travelling error free. I would suspect the splitter box.

Originally Posted by nthach
Not all cables are made equal, while I do think Monster Cable is overpriced and overrated, you don't want to use cheap cables for anything more than a reasonable run - many consumer AV applications fall into that category.

I usually use Amazon Basics cables for most of my needs, I believe they come from the major Chinese/Taiwanese cable suppliers(Space Shuttle, Copartner). I've used their 6' TOSLINKs for my parent's home theater setup and it seems to work fine.

I think the splitter might have caused trouble with longer cables - ideally each device gets a separate feed. For a soundbar, there might be a set of RCAs or another TOSLINK out - better ones have Bluetooth built in for streaming.
Cables and splitter came from Unique Products Online. I think their products are good quality. The 6' TOSLINK cables were glass. I can use a non-TOSLINK cable for the BT transmitter but chose not to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
TOSLINK is digital fiber optic and so impervious to noise and quality loss ...So as long as the photonic bits are crossing the link there can be no loss in volume or content. if you are referring to single copper RCA ended encoded link it is also digital with same response ...impervious to noise and quality loss as long as the communication packets are travelling error free. I would suspect the splitter box.

Yep. I have a cheap (CHEAP) optical cable that's 25 ft long and it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back