Robin Engines - Any good??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering a log splitter and there are two engines offered. (ie B&S and Robin).

I don't know much about Robin. Are they any good?

I've always thought Honda and Kohler were "top shelf" with B&S being "average" and Tecumseh as "bottom of the barrel".

Where does Robin fit in?

For service and parts availiability, I'd stick with B&S. Haven't heard anything about a Robin. But I did scan really quick, supposedly it's made by Subaru...wow....
might be pretty good after all, but definently the new kid on the block...
http://www.robinamerica.com/

Robin is a Japanese company that makes excellent engines. Easily as good as Hondas. They've been around for years, originally labeled Wisconsin-Robin.

Robins are hard to beat for durability. My Dad has an Echo generator with a Robin engine that has over 2,500 hours on it and the engine has never been opened. It is starting to use some oil but still runs well.

Yep, Robin has made quite a reputation for themselves in a short time. Some believe that are even better than Honda 4-stroke engines ... which I consider top shelf.

Subaru = Fuji Heavy Industries = Nakajima.

There are a few Robin threads here. Try the search feature and the name "Robin."

--- Bror Jace

My 11HP Robin EH34 (Subaru) powered generator just got me through hurricane #3. That engine has had regular oil changes every 2 days with Mobil 1 15-50. Other than that, it ran continuously, including fill ups. With the extended power outages associated with hurricanes that little generator really got a workout. Overloaded plenty of the time too! It ran my entire house, 1.5hp well pump, washer, gas dryer, window AC, fridge, all the lights and big screen TV/computer. Often all at once.

This last hurricane we burned nearly 140 gallons of gas! The previous hurricanse even more gas per storm. Plus we used this generator for building our house.

I have got to say that the Robin engine is fantastic. It has a counterbalancer so it runs smoothly. I have no idea how many hours on this unit but it is way up there. By the way, the oil still comes out amber after every 50 hours.

The engine is strong enough to warrant spending the money on a sorely needed new generator head!

Chris

Davefr, It really boils down to how much you want to spend. Briggs makes a good engine but it will not run as long as a Honda or Robin. However by the time the Briggs is worn out how good of shape will the rest of the splitter be in? Since you live in Oregon and probably cut and burn all the wood you can get I would spend a few extra bucks and get a splitter that is 1 or 2 model sizes bigger than the model size you are looking at.

quote:

My Dad has an Echo generator with a Robin engine that has over 2,500 hours on it and the engine has never been opened. It is starting to use some oil but still runs well.

There's your answer. You wont touch that with a briggs or tecumseh small air cooled engine!

Joel

To follow up I used Pennzoil HD30 in winter and regular 10W-30 in the winter in the Echo. There were times when it went over 100 hours on a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back