ACEA spec for old Toyota??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, is engine protection reduced when using C3 oil versus the current A3/B4. Both specs have a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5 and both have the same wear protection. I can get 5w40 synthetic C3 for 30% less than the current A3/B4 so if it would be good to switch for a cheaper oil. What are the benefits of the first oil type versus the other? If they have the same wear protection according to the test, why does A3/B4 exist, except the fact that it allows longer OCI because of higher TBN? Will the lower TBN in the C3 oil provide less engine cleanliness or the same amount of cleanliness but for a shorter duration (TBN gets depleted)? The first oil type is Mid-SAPS and the latter Full-SAPS. I change my oil every 6k miles and do 90% highway miles at relatively low speed (55-60 MPH).

It's no brainer picking C3 over A3B4, not so much for the discount but it's efficacy/quality.

VW 504.00/507.00 is Long Life oils with OCI up to 20,000 miles. It IS C3, not A3B4!

Name me any VW specification oils with 20,000 miles OCI with an A3B4 base-spec ?

Or for that matter, name me any other Euro OEM specifications (like MB , BMW, Porsche etc) where it's A3B4-based specification oil has an OCI longer than it's C3 compatriot ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
It's no brainer picking C3 over A3B4, not so much for the discount but it's efficacy/quality.

VW 504.00/507.00 is Long Life oils with OCI up to 20,000 miles. It IS C3, not A3B4!

Name me any VW specification oils with 20,000 miles OCI with an A3B4 base-spec ?

Or for that matter, name me any other Euro OEM specifications (like MB , BMW, Porsche etc) where it's A3B4-based specification oil has an OCI longer than it's C3 compatriot ?

Maybe because in Europe ultra low sulphur fuel is mandated by law so higher TBN is not necessary to fight agains sulphur in fuels. On ACEA's website they say that A3B4 oils have higher bottom TBN limit so they enable longer OCIs but they are rarely used in modern cars because of the protection of the exhaust aftertreatment system.
Also C3 oils are mainly made to protect exhaust after treatment systems like DPFs and TWCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back