Mercury 4 strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GOPHER FREAK
Motor is a 2009. As far as the impeller, in my younger days I worked at a Marine dealership as a mechanic. Replacing perfectly good impellers was the number one money maker in the service department. This idea you change them every year is nuts. If you don't run them dry, they last forever. Not a ton of risk running them either, the motor has telltale and also an overheat alarm. That said, I'm aware I might have to come in on the kicker some day. But I just don't replace good parts.

I was told every three years is a good mtce plan? It's far too late now anyways, but with the amount of hrs my engine likely has towing my son around tubing, kneeboarding and waterskiing, I am sure it/they were likely due anyways?
The last 2 years, with far less hrs put on the boat, I think I will hold off another year or 2 if I am due this year?

Around the world Tohatsu are regarded as the best. They are the Toyota of outboards. 2-stroke or 4-stroke (they make both), they come with zinc plated water jackets and stuff that USA made outboards only wish they could do (or us buyers wish ...). They have made units for OMC, Mercury, Nissan, Suzuki and others.

Merc has been having some issues with crank failures. You need to post this question at Scream&Fly ( Scream & Fly ) in the Merc section. Those guys wring the snot out of their motors and can tell you which work, and which do not ...

Last edited:
I have a Merc 30hp. Great little outboard. Runs strong. Easy on gas. Only thing thats happened to it was the thermostat acted up and the heat warning alarm went off. I changed the impeller as well. 250 hours on it so far.

Mobilaltima: I don't know what happened but I tried to quote your question Is the Mercury115 HP made by Yamaha. Yes it is! It is a great motor and I can
barely hear it run and it's a 2007. I tried to reply to a quote but somehow I deleted both of my comments.

I have a very early '15 model 50 HP Mercury 4 stroke that is run almost entirely in salt water. Coming up on 4 years, love it. Very fuel efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back