GM 454 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of the very last carburated 454 engines.it's in a 1990 motor home. The chassis was built in August of 1989. My question is when I go the summit's web site they ask what generation engine is it? Is it a gen 3 or 4 or a mark 5 . I don't know what it is. Any GM guru's out there?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Nice mill... I have a 427 in a 68 Corvette.
Similar to a 454 except stroke.
Yours is probably a LS4, maybe a LS5.

It's a low compression standard deck 454 light duty Truck engine, Most likely on a GM P30 chassis

Originally Posted by Chris142
Put some thorly tri-y headers on that dog.

And you can even do it in California if the vehicle was not equipped with catcons from the factory.

Just read an old Hot Rod where they got a 454 out of a junk RV and got over 125 hp with just a heads and cam swap! A great starter platform and easy to mod...

Thanks for the responses, I put tri-y's on it about 8-10 years ago because of the cracked manifolds. I had the Q-jet rebuilt and and had the distributor recurved. Got about 2 more miles to the gallon so I'm up to about 8.5mpg

Back in the day , I drove a 3/4 ton company truck with a 454 engine . I am sure it was de-tuned , but I was not that impressed with the power compared to a 350 .

It was a thirsty dog & burned oil .

Had it been mine , I would have preferred a 350 . But it was not costing me anything to drive it , so , roll on .

I used to build marine engines back when they were still carbureted and built many 454s like that. Mercruiser rated them at 330 hp but they made 290 on our dyno. Our in house hop up package for those was to lose the peanut port heads and replace them with oval ports, cam, Performer intake, Holley carb and set the quench height. They ran much better after that.

I've recently installed a couple of FAST EZ EFI systems and am blown away at how simple they are and how well they work. Probably give you better mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back