Effective add-on's for better air filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
LOL! Yeah, I'm sure the 6.4L can't suck that much air? hahahha.

That's why I said it. That thing must suck back the air like it does the fuel. (When you are hammering on it)

Last edited:
Yeah, I know right? So far, they haven't responded. I know the PowerCore flows well, and the setup for the 5.7L should fit, but I wouldn't want to restrict the bloody thing.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Yeah, I know right? So far, they haven't responded. I know the PowerCore flows well, and the setup for the 5.7L should fit, but I wouldn't want to restrict the bloody thing.

Especially at WOT.
grin2.gif

Outerwears sells its pre-filter material in sheets that you can use to fabricate a pre-filter. Would help to keep your filter from ever encountering the heavier elements.

There are also pre-filter socks specifically made for all of the Volant/Donaldson Powercore filters.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
There are also pre-filter socks specifically made for all of the Volant/Donaldson Powercore filters.

Saw those
thumbsup2.gif

If anything, I feel they are pretty much mandatory. Why waste the capacity of a super fine filter on rock-catching? Let that big stuff just bounce off of the filter sock instead.

Last edited:
I had a look under the Highlander's hood today and I noticed the Air Scoop mounted just under the hood that runs the air to the air box fits loosely over a pipe going to the air box and it's possible to put a "sock" over the pipe going to the Air Box to act as a pre-filter so I might get a Hepa rated Dust Filter Bag that has the Elastic opening and just put it over this pipe and then reinstall the scoop with it in place.

I will just monitor it regularly, although being rated for a shop-vac type vacuum it should be good for a long time.

Thoughts?

^That sock over the end of the intake pipe could amount to a significant restriction, considering its effective area will be relatively small.
If the elastic isn't sufficiently tight, it could end up sucked onto the main filter surface.

There will be a tube inside another tube with the filter sock in-between. It won't be able to go anywhere. I will check for restriction of course.

Originally Posted by StevieC
There will be a tube inside another tube with the filter sock in-between. It won't be able to go anywhere. I will check for restriction of course.

I would expect it to be restrictive. Generally the pre-filter socks aren't all that fine; certainly nowhere near HEPA rated. You want the air filter to catch the fine particles, the pre-filter is to just deflect the larger bits.

Yeah but I can't find a better air filter to fit that box, I could plumb in a Donaldson but the cost and all... Hmmmm what to do.

Yeah but I can't find a better air filter to fit that box, I could plumb in a Donaldson but the cost and all... Hmmmm what to do.

I know Widman on here plumbed in a PowerCore on a few of his rides. He's a big fan.

Besides using a quality air filter what are some other ways to limit the amount of dirt sucked into the engine via the air filter?

Thoughts:

-Using some sort of grease at the bottom of the air box prior to the air being filtered. (Bottom of the box would be the dirty side)
-Stuffing breathable material in the air box on the dirty side of the air filter to limit what makes it to the air filter.

Other ideas?

why toyotas run 200,000 with no issues

I know on Moto X/dirt bikes/atvs it is recommended to grease the air box and around the base of the filter but doing so on a vehicle, as has been mentioned, might not do any good for an average driver?
Driving constantly down dusty roads might be a different story however?

Personally, although I have never done it, I would maybe grease the filter rubber lip/gasket before dropping it in the filter housing incase the gasket isn't 100% uniform?

Any air filter I have purchased I always check the gasket looking for defects but most are pretty uniform. Also, as I have noted over the years, some, once installed, are harder to get the lid on than others depending on the vehicle/air box quality. Imo, most squish the gasket pretty good so the need for grease isn't needed their but I can maybe see, in certain instances, where greasing the rubber gasket may help?

Because I'm crazy.
grin2.gif

This reminds me of back when I had my old 1983 LTD. I once picked up a Canadian Tire air filter for it. Of course, that was a round filter, old style. If you could stretch the material an extra two inches, I'm sure there would have been no pleats whatsoever. It looked liked they used less than half the material of the competition. A Motorcraft went on there shortly thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back