iOs 12 for Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I am impressed with Apple in the they support the inactivated iPhone 5s(2013 vintage) my 11 year old daughter uses. iOs12 actually improved the experience on this old iPhone. Things seem a tad quicker and more responsive. I think conventional wisdom says the opposite upgrades make it slower less usable etc. It works well thus far.

On my own iPhone 7 the improvements in performance are less noticeable and more slight. The CarPlay integration though is noticeably quicker using in wife's 2018 Tiguan.

I can barely tell the feature difference(there are some) just experience is improved. I just my phone to text, deal with work via a messaging app called #slack, take a pic, flashlight, mapping in car, and using web browser.

Last edited:
I use an iPhone 8 for work and carry an Android phone for my own cell number. I have to admit that iOS 12 is a nice improvement in performance.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by madRiver
First I am impressed with Apple in the they support the inactivated iPhone 5s(2013 vintage) my 11 year old daughter uses. iOs12 actually improved the experience on this old iPhone. Things seem a tad quicker and more responsive. I think conventional wisdom says the opposite upgrades make it slower less usable etc. It works well thus far.

They were busted last year for purposely slowing down older phones with the latest software update, which obviously, made people want to upgrade to the latest new phone. Perhaps they took that portion of the software out when they released 12, which would be good news for those people with older phones.

I've been using iOS 12 since its very first public Beta. I've had some minor issues, but NONE worse than any OFFICIAL iOS 11 issues (e.g., messages not working properly in iOS 11).

iOS 12, in the later Betas and now with the official release, has been great!

Originally Posted by bubbatime

They were busted last year for purposely slowing down older phones with the latest software update, which obviously, made people want to upgrade to the latest new phone. Perhaps they took that portion of the software out when they released 12, which would be good news for those people with older phones.

Not quite accurate.

Apple used to allow the phone to throttle its CPU, following an unintended shutdown, which was likely caused by an older, degraded battery.

Now, the feature is STILL THERE; however, if your phone has to throttle to combat issues, it will tell you. You can then opt to turn this throttling feature, resulting in full-speed operation, at the risk of having the same battery-related shutdowns occur in the future.

My iPhone 6+ showed 96% remaining battery capacity and capable of full speed when iOS first made battery health end-user visible (I saw it first in the Beta version of iOS 11.X, IIRC). Today, it shows 95% health and full speed.

Considering newer phones than mine were having issues, I'd guess that Apple had some sub-par batteries make it through. Even though my 6+ is eligible for the $29 battery, I haven't taken advantage of it...I'll have to make a choice soon, though.

My only real gripe is the picture button for texting goes to the camera instead of pictures. I don't think I have ever once taken a picture straight into a text message.

Only iOS update that I've been very satisfied so far for my 6S+. 9.3.5 was the last best version. iOS 10 and 11 "get people to buy new phones" OS was the worst.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
My only real gripe is the picture button for texting goes to the camera instead of pictures. I don't think I have ever once taken a picture straight into a text message.

The first option of that tray right below the Camera on mine is Photo's on iOs 12. They also added an icon to go from Camera to Photo's directly at the top.

Last edited:
Seamless when i upgraded yesterday on my work supplied 6s model.

I have no added apps except a 2FA application and skype for business; I am not a gadget person.

Of course you can get the same hardware running windows for les... nevermind. lol

Last edited:

I've taken your word for it and started downloading on my 5s.

I have one complaint. Prior to this update, I could enter a phone number on my Ipad to make a telephone call. Now I can no longer do that. All calls now must come from my contact list.

Originally Posted by zorobabel

I've taken your word for it and started downloading on my 5s.

I'll be doing the same later. My wife has a 7+, I have a 6+ and our backup phone is her old 5S.
I still have an old HTC One M7, but doubt I'd ever go back to it.

We've been lucky enough to get the 5S (my wife's previous phone) and my current 6+ from family, who used to be the type of ballers who would buy the latest and greatest every year, selling us their old one for a buck or two. They've become more prudent, so we'll just have to keep our phones until there's a better reason to upgrade...like accidentally smashing it to bits or having 5+ years pass and getting an itch too bad not to scratch for the millenials we are!

My company supplied phones have always been Apple products (as well as IPADS) tough and reliable they are.

My personal phones have always been Android as I dont like being "stuck" or married to a phone company and I actually like the freedom Android offers rather then the same old and tiring apple look (to me). Just never like the Apple format, as much as I wanted to and its been quite a long time now.
Plus the products are at a sky high premium and to me its just a phone and data center, my Android does everything my Apple does at 1/10th the cost ... (yes that is true) I use both phones everyday :eek:) ... at 1/10 th the cost Im then free to swap out phones on a whim if I wish and all our family phones are paid cash, we dont take out loans or leases for phones.

Dont get me wrong, I have no problem if Apply brings satisfaction to people, we all have our fun toys.

Last edited:
I would make the opposite argument-every Android device we've had has died an early death, while the iPhones & iPads keep on trucking, even when they're long since unsupported. I'm typing this on my ancient IPad 2nd generation, and I still use my old iPhone 4 as a backup/personal phone, & it works fine for basic stuff (although I will have to upgrade it when the Verizon CDMA network goes away on 12/31/19). I hope the newer company iPhone 7s & 5th gen iPads last as long as the old ones did.

Another tidbit of good news related to ios12.

On my wifes nice 8" touch screen in her VW an icon for Google maps arrived for CarPlay. I love google maps and really happy I won't get sent in wrong again(Apple Msps)

we have received new updates on our 2 series iWatches as well as our unlocked iPhone X and iP8 and no problems; it is nice refresher for our gadgets

It's running just fine on my iPhone 6. Very stable and I like the new features.

The News App changed and has a latest edition that pushes news I really don't care for. No way to delete or change that either. I'll probably quit using that app.

Other than that it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back