2019 Harley Davidson FXDR 114

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the looks a lot but my budget wont allow it in my garage as a second or third bike.
I can certainly see the appeal for someone in the market for that type of bike, no question about it, awesome.

Stay tuned as I hear the HD electric is coming out in 2019 and their first adventure bike in 2020.

I think they are on a roll here, keeping up with the times, no matter how impracticable to some, its what the young buy, the sizzle/showoff factor.
Hey its what makes us happy that counts.

I would someday, like to see an upgrade in looks on the big tourers BUT NOT at the expense of practicality, meaning I need to be able to do all day cruising at a true GPS speed of 80 MPH, 2 up without getting bashed by wind and buffeting.
More or less my 14 Road King is perfect for this, no buffeting, all day 2 up, TRUE speed 75 to 85 MPH no getting banged up by the wind, tractor trailers ect, ect, preserve this somehow and show me a new Styled RK and I will buy it, I have a feeling it will be here in a few years, until then I am holding onto what I have, we will see.
(hmmm ... then again, dont change it too much, awesome riding bike)

DSC_0032-resize.JPG

Last edited:
That rear fender treatment makes me wanna throw up. Seriously? Somebody would lay out that kind of cash for something that looks like it starred in a Mad Max movie?

Originally Posted by Steelshoe
That rear fender treatment makes me wanna throw up. Seriously? Somebody would lay out that kind of cash for something that looks like it starred in a Mad Max movie?

X2! And we haven't even discussed the hideous air box and exhaust yet! Someone beat a Breakout with an ugly stick and got this!

Last edited:
It (the whole bike) really isn't my cup of tea, but the abbreviated tail section is a pretty popular styling cue these days ...

not a fan of the pipe entering the muffler on the top either (not sure if thats actually the way it is under the heat shields)...

All and all it could have been worse.

Oh, and they do offer a slip on that is much less ugly and does away with the pipe entering the top of the muffler (so it must be fake)... you can get a glimpse in the second video... Laidlaw has also posted a "fun review" on his you tube channel.

Dang autocorrect "full review" and I mean in the second video I posted you can catch a glimpse of the slip on.

Last edited:
Folks have been building cool adventure sports Harley's for a l-o-n-g time.

They have 100's of good examples to draw from. But I'll bet they don't get it right ... Sort of like the thing the OP posted ...

adventure-sportster-3.jpg

sportster-1200-scrambler-right-rear.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldnt discount HD just yet, they have to experiment, figure out what motivates a young buyer to buy, these bikes are not directed at you old guys ... :eek:)

So as ugly as we may think they are ... well ... many young dont want a replica of their old mans bike. Look at some of the new BMW touring bikes with the massive exhaust which I sort of like.

Its a new world, out with the old, got to give HD credit, they still command 50% of the 600 + cc market and they cant sit around and wait for someone to take it, all others have failed. Sure, some models will flop and some will succeed, the only way to know is try.

Coming this year is the HD Electric bike and slated for 2020 or 21 is their first adventure bike, The Pan America.

https://www.sportrider.com/harley-davidson-announces-new-v-twin-sportbike

Think about it, do you think the young will go for dads old Sportster or one of the HD sport bikes in the above article?

I wouldnt mind a restyled Road King either, just as long as I still had the seating position, wind protection and saddlebags.
Honestly I think HD is moving firmly in the right direction to spark more interest among young, but it wont be easy getting them off their smart phones and living room sofas until they invent air conditioning for bikes ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Nice looking bike except for the exhaust.

HD definitely has headwinds with younger folks not wanting to ride a motorcycle and the older folks aging out of the motorcycle hobby.

I read an article the other day that there's too many used Harleys hurting the sales of new Harley motorcycles.

I got a chance to ride the FXDR 114 awhile back. It seems to be styled after the Ducati Diavel, and riding it reminded me of the Diavel. It's heavier than the Diavel, has more low-end torque, but much less horsepower. I didn't care for the seating position of either the Diavel or this FXDR 114. It IS a better handling Harley than they've had, but it's still a very heavy bike compared to actual Sportbkes, which a Harley Rep seemed to want to convince me it was.

I hope they sell a bunch, but It's not on my radar.

Good Evening Alarmguy,

I love the color of your Road King, it's beautiful!

My 2014 Road King is the Mysterious Red Sunglow.

Every time on ride my Road King, I get a big smile on my face.

RevRider

Hey Revrider,

Thanks, the bike caught our eye while on vacation in the Smoky Mountains - Summer of 2014.
We were up there on our Vstar 1300 Tourer, always loved stopping in at the Maryville TN Harley dealer, the place is HUGE, the color scheme of the bike caught my eye as something different and also a color I never had before, my wife caught my attention by saying 'buy it already" *L* also however their branch dealer in Pigeon Forge(near where were staying)had one in stock with the ABS that we wanted, as a joke on the 2nd to last day of vacation we stopped in Pigeon Forge and had them work up a price, seemed like a good deal they offered, we slept on it, woke up the day we had to leave TN and head back to SC to the sound of POURING rain, figured I would call the dealer and see if any better price, he said he looked over the numbers and was thinking he already gave me to much on a trade but that is best he could do.

Anyway, I told them to get the bike ready, we were on our way, rode our vstar in slamming rain from Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge, arrived at the dealer soaking wet and cold, it was raining so much, horrible forecast my wife was also calling car rental places that we could take a car home and come back the following week to pick up the bike.

Anyway, dealer got the bike ready, decided to ride the bike home, radar was showing once we got out of TN and through most of NC we would then have better weather, we left the Vstar behind as a trade in, rode out on the new 14 Road King, pouring rain, now with rain suits that we just bought at the dealer, never was on a Harley before pulling out of the dealer, never test rode the bike, just hit the road, kept telling myself slow and easy on the mountain roads in the rain 1.5 hours or so later the rain let up, once at the SC border the sun was out and honestly (once through it all) it was a memorable experience, even for my wife!
I dont want to sound brave, man I was scared at first. *L*

Anyway, Sunglow, yes, real nice color for sure, actually one of their best, Ive been though most the color spectrum now on various bikes(the vstar was a shade of maroon), only color left that I never owned was a shade of blue. So that will be the next if there is a next.

I have to say, I dont like how HD is marketing the new Road Kings, they came out with the Road King special for a couple grand more, now the Road King is treated like "second class" with limited colors. The power of marketing for more profit. The Road King was the king or touring, now its tossed back a little to a Road King special.

The RK special is a nice looking bike but its an around town bike in my eyes, nice looking bike, short windscreen, blacked out metal instead of chrome, (shorter travel shocks??)
But the bottom line is color, this year MIGHT have been a year to look at a new one, but seeing the color choice, no sense for me to even walk in a dealer and that is good, LOVE my 14 RK and very weary about the new M8s, a certain number of them still have major problems so Im in no rush, in fact if I was going to buy another I would be tempted to go with a "newer" low mileage 2016 Road King over the M8.
At this point and Harleys new Road King marketing scheme with limited colors on the Road King, none that I like, no new purchase planned ... or even desired.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
I got a chance to ride the FXDR 114 awhile back. It seems to be styled after the Ducati Diavel, and riding it reminded me of the Diavel. It's heavier than the Diavel, has more low-end torque, but much less horsepower. I didn't care for the seating position of either the Diavel or this FXDR 114. It IS a better handling Harley than they've had, but it's still a very heavy bike compared to actual Sportbkes, which a Harley Rep seemed to want to convince me it was.

This porky Harley is 670 pounds with fuel compared to the somewhat porky 500 pound Diavel...Harley just can't let go of the fat look...Not that's it's a bad bike however...

Originally Posted by 02SE

Diavel or X Diavel...

Pricing is similar too...

I'll take a Heritage 114 and some change...

Either and/or both. I've ridden both the Diavel and X Diavel.

I'm simply giving my impression/opinion, having ridden the bikes discussed.

Motorcycles are all a matter of personal preference, buy and ride what you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back