Honda metal fuel tank seam leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 civic with 150k km on it.
There is a leak due to rust coming from the stamped seams of the fuel tank.

Replacing tank may result in gas lines also being damaged in the process. Mechanic mentioned that to me.

He also said I can try tackling it via sealing that part with standard JB weld.

I have looked at the different types of epoxy and wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't try using steelstik instead of the standard 2 part paste mix?

I wouldn't. It's your fuel tank man.... Fix it right. If that means you need to play with some lines, then so be it

Epoxy and fuel tank sealers will work well on pinhole leaks. But a seam is likely to allow leaking fuel to travel between the halves and out beyond your epoxy patch. If you try it, put some effort into forcing it into the seam. A temporary fix at best. I've had fuel tank patch last a year, then start leaking.

wing0,
I have tried JB Weld on the seam of an Accord gas tank and it only worked for a few months.
Drop the tank and replace it if you're keeping the car. Do the whole job right. I replaced all of the lines which were easily done.

A patch is temporary and then it will start leaking under one of the straps which is where they usually leak. Replace the tank and rusted out fuel lines and if you are going to keep it, replace the fuel pump while it's off.. With winter coming, you don't want to be messing around in January with this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wing0
98 civic with 150k km on it.
There is a leak due to rust coming from the stamped seams of the fuel tank.

Replacing tank may result in gas lines also being damaged in the process. Mechanic mentioned that to me.

He also said I can try tackling it via sealing that part with standard JB weld.

I have looked at the different types of epoxy and wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't try using steelstik instead of the standard 2 part paste mix?

What's the condition of the rest of the car?

If you are going to try to repair it with epoxy you need something that is resistant to gas. You'll need something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Weld-8217-Aut...&hvtargid=pla-491487081053&psc=1

You'll probably need to drop the tank to make sure you have all problem areas sealed. I used the stick to patch a weak areain the top of a tank on a Sienna. I didn't keep the vehicle for much longer.

If it's a car you are going to keep for a while, do what everyone else is saying get it repaired or get a used rust free tank.

Check www.car-part.com for availability.

Thanks for all the inputs.

We are 50/50 on keeping the car for long(like less than half a year type of thing).
Just kind of want to get through the winter...

I am going to go with the steelstik as it is supposed to be able to resist gas. I'll let it cure for 1.5-2 days after applying and hope that it'll hold for a bit or at least get rid of the gas fume smell.
"When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back