Should I use a wax or sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a couple checks to help you decide on wax or sealant.

1.Does it get over 90 degrees in the summer at your house? Sealant
2.Do you have a black or dark vehicle? Sealant
3.Do you have #1 and #2? Sealant for sure
4.Do you want more than 1 week or up to 3 months of protection? Sealant

1.Do you want a deeper wet looking shine? Wax
2.#1 is debatable compared to sealants.
3.Arguably easier to apply? Wax

The heat or dark color deal is this. Your car panels can and DO, get over 140F in the summer sun. Carnuba deteriorates and breaks down in that kind of heat. Meaning it won't last very long.

Another general rule of thumb, the easier it is to apply or remove the shorter it will last. If you are sweating and rubbing your bum off, it's going to have some enduring protection. All those miracle, spray on wonder products last about a week. Like the wax feature at your local car wash LOL. Beads up for about 30 minutes.

slomo

Last edited:
Don't discount some of the harder waxes like Collinite 476

You can also get a right fine shine by applying a sealant such as klasse then topping with a carnuba wax

Edit: For winter time, I do 2 coats of klasse followed by a coat of collinite. Lasts clean through to the spring. Summer time, WIWO spray wax. Takes so little time to apply that longevity isn't much of a concern

Last edited:
I do sealant once a year and maintain it with a wash/wax car wash weekly or twice a week depending on the miles driven and soils on my car. The sealant lasts all year.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter

You can also get a right fine shine by applying a sealant such as klasse then topping with a carnuba wax

Edit: For winter time, I do 2 coats of klasse followed by a coat of collinite. Lasts clean through to the spring. Summer time, WIWO spray wax. Takes so little time to apply that longevity isn't much of a concern

Collinite is a carnuba wax. Good shine, for 3 months or less.

"Paint Sealants were created as an alternative to natural carnauba waxes. They tried to duplicate the shine of carnauba but also offer some benefits that a natural product just can't provide. One of those benefits is longevity. Paint sealants last anywhere from 4-6 months, depending on climate and driving conditions. The typical carnauba only lasts 6-8 weeks. Sealants like Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze can even last up to a year! This feature makes paint sealants a perfect choice for busy people who just want long-lasting paint protection."

slomo

Last edited:
The heck it is. It lasts about as long as you want—-or longer.

There's no clear delineation or legal definition between what constitutes a wax or a sealant. Collinite has plenty of weird chemicals in it. They could just as easily call it a sealant if they thought it would help it's sales.

Not correct. Collinite Insulator wax is a hybrid. It is indeed a sealant with carnauba added for the classic look. Durability is easily 6 months to 1 year depending on conditions. It's durability is legendary and effortless to apply/remove.

This heavy duty wax was specially developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. That says it all.

Originally Posted by RTexasF

Not correct. Collinite Insulator wax is a hybrid. It is indeed a sealant with carnauba added for the classic look. Durability is easily 6 months to 1 year depending on conditions. It's durability is legendary and effortless to apply/remove.

This heavy duty wax was specially developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosions. That says it all.

That is what gives Collinite it's durability and notiriety. It was not developed as a car wax but users discovered how good it held up on cars.

A lot of waxes these days are hybrids. The line between sealant and wax gets blurred in many products.

Gotcha! Thanks.

Originally Posted by PimTac

That is what gives Collinite it's durability and notiriety. It was not developed as a car wax but users discovered how good it held up on cars.

A lot of waxes these days are hybrids. The line between sealant and wax gets blurred in many products.

Yep, it blurred me quite a bit. Thanks for helping me understand what I am dealing with.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter

Wax over the sealant? Doesn't the wax need something to grab onto?

Guys, Collinite is mainly a carnuba wax product. Fires, insulators, lightning, sonic booms and the like have zero to do with paint care. I never used it but sure to be a good product. Carnuba waxes lasting 12 months in HOT weather is a stretch. Lot of factors that assist your wax/sealant product to perform longer. Do you park in a garage daily? Next to the Towering Inferno movie set? South Texas in the summer? Canada.......

slomo

Yes, Collinite is a Carnauba wax-based product, but it is not strictly Carnauba. It is more of a 'hybrid' type wax, with sealant properties as well. It has been in use a long time in the automotive industry, and has proven itself to be extremely durable and long-lasting, even in hot environments.

Just because it CONTAINTS Carnauba, does not mean that it is just a "Carnauba wax".

I live in Phoenix. I use Collinite. I have no doubts as to its ability to hold up to the heat, and this is based off of experience.

Originally Posted by grampi
Yes, Collinite will last at least 6 months in any climate, longer in some...

Collinite 845 is darn good stuff. I'm half tempted to call the owners of the company (who avail themselves to direct phone calls) and ask if they classify it as a wax, sealer or, combination of the two. I'm fairly certain it's a combination of multiple types of wax, synthetic sealers and a light solvent to keep it in suspension.

I'll pass on my experiences for anyone interested in reading it. For now, I'll just confirm what "grampi" says. It seems to last 6 months here in Maryland (harsh winters and tons of road salt).

Ray

PS: No affiliation with them. Just been using it for a while and came to really like the stuff.

Here is their selector guide: https://www.collinite.com/assets/Uploads/docs/autoprodselectorguide-16.pdf
Here is their FAQ: https://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back