Picked up a used snowblower tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an older used snowblower tonight. It's a Mastercraft machine, 33 inch cutting width with a 10 hp electric start Tecumseh engine. I paid $650 for it, plus 20 bucks to have the guy deliver it since it wouldn't fit inthe trunk of my Accord. I haven't really had a chance to get out and play with it, but I did start it up before I paid for it. It started up fine, but puffed a bit of blue smoke from the mnuffler. Whatever, it's an old engine, I'm not too concerned. In a week or so I'm going to change the spark plug, air filter and the oil, of course. What oil should I use? The person at the shop where I bought the snowblower said a good 10w30, or even a 5w30 would do the trick. I was thinking maybe a 10w30 HDEO would be a good pick. Irving Oil makes their IDO diesel engine oil in a 10w30 flavor, and is CH-4/SL rated. Would that be a good choice for this older engine? Or maybe a good synthetic would be better. Since this engine probably only takes 1 quart of oil, cost isn't really a factor so something like Mobil 1 or even GC isn't too far out of the question. The snowblower will be stored inside a small unheated shed and probably won't get used more than twice a week for maybe an hour at a time. My plan for when I need to use it is to fire it up, let it idle and warm up for 5 minutes or so then get to work. The guy who sold me the snowblower suggested that last part.

My 25 year old John Deere snowthrower uses nothing but Shell Rotella T 5w-40. It loves it and oil consumption is virtually nil. I would not use a thinner oil.

I run my engine as lean as possible to get as much power out of it. As long as the temps are below freezing the engine won't overheat. With a 10w30 in it, I had to top off after every tank of gas.

So...how old is "this older engine"? How old is the machine? I agree with the 5w.whatever oil, especially in an unheated area.

Remember when it snows the temp is usually only a few degrees below freezing. You don't have to go super-arctic with your oil. But you should be able to rope start the thing in case you lose electric start. The Irving 10w30 will work well; the rotella 5w40 probably slightly better.

My 10 hp Tecumseh "Snow King" owner's manual says 5w-30 in normal temps, 0-w30 or 5-w30 synthetic in extreme cold (-20 deg. F).

I fill it with 5-W30 Mobil 1 every fall. No problems.

I looked at the snowblower this afternoon and I saw a Tecumseh Snowking tag on it, so I guess it's an older Snowking engine? I didn't look for the serial number, but I should do that tomorrow. Tecumseh's basic service information PDF file on their website says a 0w30 synthetic is OK for use from -30 F to 40F. The 2 top oil choices in my head for the snowblower right now are GC and conventional Maxlife 5w30.

I never thought about a compression release, I thought only newer chainsaws had them. I do find the snowblower easier to pull over because of that. It's also a lot easier to start than our lawnmower, I suppose because the snowblower has manual choke control and a primer bulb. Like I said in my previous post, I'm never going to try a compression test on the snowblower again. I believe I'm lucky that there wasn't any serious damage to the engine.

I'm a **** bonehead. I was playing with the snowblower again, and I was going to do a compression test on it just for fun. I grabed my brother's compression tester and screwed it down into place and pulled the starting cord. BANG! BANG! OH FU$##@! The piston is hitting the end of the tester fitting! DAMMMMMNN! I hard a hard time getting the tester out of the sparkplug hole. I figure the piston striking the tester fitting drove the fitting up a tiny bit and chewed up the threads in the plug hole. I put the sparkplug back into the engine and started it up. THANK ***, it still runs just like it did before. I figure some metal flakes from the threads most likely got down into the cylinder, so I drained the oil, filled it back up with 3/4 quart of QS winter synthetic blend 5w30 I had on hand, ran it 5 minutes, drained again and filled it back up. Man, I am never doing that again. Funny thing though, I used the compression tester in my parents 3.75 hp B&S lawnmower with no problems like that. Oh well, when I get some money, I'm gonna change the oil in the snowblower again and put some GC into it, plus change the spark plug and get a bottle of MMO for the gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back