SuperTech 5w-30 in 2014 Chrysler Town & Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van calls for 5w-20 but I started running 5w-30. 5000 miles on oil, 85,000 on van. Mopar filter.

Aluminum .......4
Chromium.......0
Iron.................6
Copper............7
Lead................0
Tin...................0
Moly................79
Nickel..............0
Manganese.....0
Silver...............0
Titanium..........0
Potassium.......0
Boron..............73
Silicon.............9
Sodium...........6
Calcium..........1403
Magnesium.....511
Phosphorous..777
Zinc................855
Barium............0

Sub Vis........57.4 should be 56-63
cSt Vis ........9.47 should be 9.1-11.3
Flashpoint...405 should be >375
Fuel ............ Antifreeze.....0
Water............0
Insolubles.....0.1

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JLTD
Looks good! Did you get TBN by chance? I'm thinking it could go further than 5k.

No, I never drop the extra coin for a TBN. Factory OCI is roughly 10k when the light comes on but I'm concerned about filter life. Main thing is that it's pricey to dump in the good stuff like PP or M1 because it holds 6 quarts and while a jug doesn't cost much, that last quart is about $9.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Nice report.
Is that dino or syn.? Thanks.

Synthetic. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

With rebates you can get pp or m1 for less than ST. Just buy an extra jug and use a quart from it. The oil does not go bad in the jug with the cap closed, Ive been doing this for years.

Originally Posted by JohnnyO
Originally Posted by rollinpete
Nice report.
Is that dino or syn.? Thanks.

Synthetic. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Looks good!

I too was going to ask the same question of dino or syn until I saw the ppm of Magnesium and figured it was syn(lower Calcium/More Magnesium). As compared to dino oil which has closer to or greater than 2000 ppm of Calcium and much less Magnesium.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
With rebates you can get pp or m1 for less than ST. Just buy an extra jug and use a quart from it. The oil does not go bad in the jug with the cap closed, Ive been doing this for years.

Don't tell me, someone has been buying a quart bottle to complete the oc. I also do 6 qts oc, buy jugs on rebate and don't even know the price of a single quart.

Let's see $9 vs $2.50 (after pouring a qt from a Mobil 1 $12.50 jug after rebate)

I recently bought Idemitsu 0w-20 5qt jug for $20 and I had to pour another qt from the 2nd jug for $4. I thought was expensive.

Must be nice to be rich.

Last edited:

Why is it when someone posts about using a store brand members keep chiming on about rebates and such? I'm sure the OP can make the choice on what to use. His choice for his PCMO was a fine choice.

5W-30 should be fine. Chrysler used it for their vans until they switched to 5W-20 in 2013. My wife has a 2012 Grand Caravan, and I've tried several brands with good results. The main thing is just to keep it changed regularly.

Originally Posted by JohnnyO
Originally Posted by JLTD
Looks good! Did you get TBN by chance? I'm thinking it could go further than 5k.

... Main thing is that it's pricey to dump in the good stuff like PP or M1 because it holds 6 quarts and while a jug doesn't cost much, that last quart is about $9.

Your wrong and right.
PP and M1 is pricey but your wrong in suggesting they are "good stuff" compared to Super Tech. Super Tech is just as good except there is no moeny spent on marketing to make you feel that way.
There is no proof what so ever that any oil is superior meeting the same API.

Nice report

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
With rebates you can get pp or m1 for less than ST. Just buy an extra jug and use a quart from it. The oil does not go bad in the jug with the cap closed, I've been doing this for years.

Why is it when someone posts about using a store brand members keep chiming on about rebates and such? I'm sure the OP can make the choice on what to use. His choice for his PCMO was a fine choice.

Usually store brand is chosen based on price. Just letting the OP know there is a lower cost option than ST. Some don't mind waiting for a rebate, some do. Maybe he didn't know about the rebates and how affordable the name brand oils really are.

Agree ST is a fine oil. I have used it and other ST products without hesitation. But I wont pay a premium for it.

If it was Amalie it would have AOC on bottom of jug like AAP oils do
smile.gif

Great stuff, everyday price is/was $15.xx per 5 quart jug at my Wal-Mart, for synthetic jugs. We are in the good times for synthetic pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back