Case Ingersoll 224 hydrostatic drive fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I have aquired a case ingersoll 224 lawn tractor. This machine was given to me by my father. He bought it used about 15 years ago and rebuilt it the second season he owned it. At that time the machine had over 800 hours on it when the hourmeter failed. My question is that this tractor is driven by a hydraulic motor on the two speed transaxle and that is powered by a pump driven by the 14 horsepower K321AS kohler engine. The fluid in this system has never been changed to my understanding. Ingersoll recomends a 20W-40 motor oil in the summer and a 5W-20 motor oil in the winter. Also this system is used to lift the mower deck via a hydraulic cylinder. I was wondering if these recomended fluids would be the best canadites for the job. And I was wondering what would be a good interval to change it at. Also it does not have a filter. Thanks ahead of time for the help and information.

My dad has the 222, (I think) it has the 12hp Kohler. It is 16 years old and yet to have the hydraluic fluid changed--still runs like a top. If you do not use the tractor in the winter I would just go with the 20w-40, if you do use it in the winter good question, I would call Ingersoll and ask if they have any new takes on a year long fluid as a lot has happened with oil since the 15 year old manual. My favorite thing about the Ingersoll is the heavy construction--you have to love a mower deck you remove from the tractor by driving over it. I cannot ever see those decks rusting through.

JR, any quality 15w-40 HDEO's are known to work excellent with the case/ingersoll hydrives. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a 20w-40 engine oil, where 15w-40 of many brands can be easily had. Nice tractor by the way! The hydrive setup is a simple, unique and heavy duty beast! too bad ingersoll garden tractors are no longer in production. Last I knew the company was up for sale. Just the parts network still remains.
G/luck
Joel

JTK-

How recent is this development? I just contacted them a year or so ago and had them send me their updated catalog. Too bad, I guess they couldn't compete with the MTD's and the low-end John Deere tractors running rampant at Home Depot, Lowes, and Sears.

Lobo, it's just about a year now that ingersoll tractors went up for sale & stopped making the garden/compact tractors. Their website however is still open @ http://www.ingersoll-inc.com/ I'm sure their are dealers out their with new old stock tractors on hand still & eBay is a good source. It is a shame they kept themselves so low key being such an outstanding product. That's what put them out of business
frown.gif
G/luck
Joel

Thanks JTK. A 15W-40 HDEO was what I was debating using, I was thinking that there shouldn't be any problems with using a 15W-40 HDEO in this system but wasn't for sure. I was thinking after I posted that I should of said I was considering a 15W-40 HDEO. Also thanks for everyones help. I still have one question that I didn't ask till I thought of it just now. How do I get the old fluid out of the system? Is there a plug some were that is removed or do I have to remove a hose like I have to to drain UDT from the hydrualic steering system on my Kubota RTV 900. If I do have to remove a line, which one and should the engine be running to remove the fluid.

JR, on a garden tractor of this vintage, I would simply pump out or drain the oil sump & refill. Messing with the return line to the sump may result in system leaks. The case/ingersoll hydrives tended to stay pretty clean due to the spin-on hyd. filter. Don't forget to address the gear oil in the rear diff.
G/luck
Joel

All the case/ingersoll hydrives I've seen had a large spin-on hydraulic filter near the hyd. oil reservoir. The filter should be behind the dash, under the steering column area. You should also have a fin/tube oil cooler in there under the dash. As far as the gear oil goes, a good 80w-90 should do the trick, but I'm not sure what case/ingersoll spec'd.
G/luck
Joel

I talked to Rusty the parts manager at my local Kubota, Ingersoll, and Artic Cat dealer. He told me that the rear diff uses gear oil. I ask what weight and he reply a 80W-90 is what we use but any gear lube will work.

Oh ya, the dealer is Jensen Equipment in Millington Michigan. Have never had a complant one about them. I asked him about the hydraulic oil and he had said that is what ingersoll still requamends is 5W-20 winter and 20W-40 in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back