Does e10 gas remove need for oil filter replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the fear mongering with E10 gas. On a car I have had 0-ZERO fuel line or parts problems in the last 40 years it's been used in Illinois. Got to be close to 1 million miles in that time. Can't say the same for the fuel lines in my small 2 cycle engines.

I think it’s a gimmick from the corn industry. I mean, I think there was a story that there is not enough land in the country to produce enough corn to switch to ethanol. So for it to show up in gas everywhere means the corn lobby has strength.

Originally Posted By: KnicksGiants
I think it’s a gimmick from the corn industry. I mean, I think there was a story that there is not enough land in the country to produce enough corn to switch to ethanol. So for it to show up in gas everywhere means the corn lobby has strength.

Uh, you DO realize that there are LOTS of other ways to get ethanol that do not include corn in any way, right?

What fuel you use has absolutely nothing to do with the oil filter. Or fuel filter, unless the vehicle has used alcohol free gasoline for a number of years, and you just switched to an ethanol blend, then you may need to change the fuel filter sooner due to the ethanol dissolving/breaking free stuff left behind from the gasoline.

The MG gets a steady diet of 92 or 93 octane E10 that's filtered through a relatively course(compared to a typical FI filter) transparent or translucent plastic filter that sit a few inches from the front carburetor. A while back, I had a bad tank of gas that caused me a lot of issues, and I managed to clog a couple of fuel filters. They were visibly filthy and also were noticeably restricted to the point that it would only flow 1-2 oz/minute(the pump is speced at 15 gal/hour, or about 1qt/min, and an in-tune MGB running at ~70mph needs 5-6 oz/min). Before I got smart and started carrying spare filters, and then got REALLY smart and just replaced the tank and all the fuel lines, I once found myself backflushing a filter on the side of the road just to get me home.

If ethanol did indeed "clean" filters, the above wouldn't have happened. The backflushing worked as a temporary measure for the same reason that backflushing any filter works-it pushed some of the junk clogging the filter out from the opposite direction in which it was actually caught.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back