Mobil 1 extended performance 0w-20 10,594mi 2010 FJ Cruiser 103,444mi

Hi all,

This is the first UOA I have done.

Some specific notes:
Prior fill was (i believe) regular mobil 1 advanced fuel economy in 0w20 which had about 5k miles on it. When i put in the extended performanc oil i only drained 5 of the 6 quarts out and then added in a 5qt jug of the EP variety. The filter is a larger than stock tundra size toyota TRD filter. The filter had 5k miles on it and was not changed.

My goal is to run the mobil 1 extended performance for 20k miles, and maybe that larger trd filter out to 40k. This uoa was to help me see if that might be possible, or if it is too much for that oil to handle.

What do you all think? I have omitted any element that showed less than 1ppm

Iron .......................8
Aluminum............ 3
Silicon................ 10
Sodium.............. 94
Potassium........... 2
Magnesium...... 487
Calcium.......... 1152
Phosphorus..... 571
Zinc.................. 693
Moly................... 52
Boron .................33
Water ............. Coolant............. No

Vis cst 100c..... 9.0

Base number... 3.7

20k miles would look to be very doable.
Your Fe is less than 1ppm/1k miles. Hardly any wear at all.
Other metals are so low they are inconsequential.
No contamination to speak of (coolant, dirt, fuel).

Keep using the lube!

Let me sure this is what I am reading.

Drained 5 of 6qst crankcase capacity
The oil filter has 5K mi and was not changed.
Added 5qts of Mobil 1 EP
Drove 10,594 mi
Collected an oil sample for the uoa
Currently driving on the 10,594++ mi oil

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
Let me sure this is what I am reading.

Drained 5 of 6qst crankcase capacity
The oil filter has 5K mi and was not changed.
Added 5qts of Mobil 1 EP
Drove 10,594 mi
Collected an oil sample for the uoa
Currently driving on the 10,594++ mi oil

Thats correct. Filter now has about 16k miles on it. Im planning to go a few thousand more miles then change oil and filter. Definitely planning on continuing with the M1 EP, although may change up viscosity to see how things change. I am in CA, so 10w30 shold be no problem I think.

Nice! Nice wear, nice usage....20k easily from what I'm seeing.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Finally someone who isn't "wasting" the oil

Agreed!

I would limit the oil life to 15,000 miles or 1 year on the oil. I think Mobil was right about recommending 15k miles max. (Mobil1 Annual Protection would go to 20k according to Mobil, but still limited to 1 year.)
OIl filter to 25,000 miles, since it is oversized here.
The TRD filter uses a synthetic media, not just cellulose like many others, making it able to hold more dirt prior to clogging up. No Fram Ultra is available (cartridge) for this engine. That makes the TRD a wise choice here.

Your air filter path is tight as seen from the low Si. TBN is basically hanging in there, though I think 5k is about all that's left in it.

Re sample at 16K is my advise. Although you will not come close to hurting the engine if you went to 20K, That lube has a lot of life left.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I would limit the oil life to 15,000 miles or 1 year on the oil. I think Mobil was right about recommending 15k miles max. (Mobil1 Annual Protection would go to 20k according to Mobil, but still limited to 1 year.)
OIl filter to 25,000 miles, since it is oversized here.
The TRD filter uses a synthetic media, not just cellulose like many others, making it able to hold more dirt prior to clogging up. No Fram Ultra is available (cartridge) for this engine. That makes the TRD a wise choice here.

Your air filter path is tight as seen from the low Si. TBN is basically hanging in there, though I think 5k is about all that's left in it.

Keep in mind im rather new to this, but some questions...

Is there anything in particular about the analysis that makes you suggest limiting to 15k, or is it mostly just about following the print on the bottle? Based on the analysis, i thought 20k would be ok, esp since i only put in 5 fresh quarts. What i dont know is how much higher the tbn would have been if i used 6 fresh quarts. Also dont know how well the tbn would be retained after the 15k mark. This engine has an easy life...70mi round trip to work daily, 60 of which is highway. No towing, and my foot is not made of lead ha!

Would a fram ultra be a better choice than the trd? I do believe there is a fram ultra available for the 2010 tundra v8, which is the size filter i am using. I havent seen the ultra in person, but the trd looks to be a tank in comparison to the stock paper filters i have used on this vehicle in the past.

I was impressed with the low silicon number, and mostly attribute that to the dry element afe filter im using that i seldom clean. When i do take it out to clean, i typically do it a few days to a week before i change the oil.

In any case, my plan here is to change the oil and filter in a few thousand miles. Im going to stay with the M1 EP, but may consider a 5w30 or 10w30 to see if anything changes. Im in central CA, so it rarely gets to freezing temps in winter, and summers are 100 degrees+

Originally Posted by JLTD
FWIW, TBN depletion is not linear.

What would a typical depletion curve look like?

Originally Posted by Cgates
Is there anything in particular about the analysis that makes you suggest limiting to 15k, or is it mostly just about following the print on the bottle?
Both what I see on your oil analysis, and Mobil's recommendations, combined.

I think your Toyota has a TBN curve like "A" below:
[Linked Image]

.... Notice how TBN kind of shrinks down toward the end very slowly.
In your FJ Cruiser, I noticed the KV100 viscosity (Vis cst 100c..... 9.0) was up a tad high, indicating that the pentane insolubles (PIN) may be starting to increase already at 10,500 miles. Nothing bad at the moment, but I wouldn't go past 15,000 miles on this fill. And, the experts at Mobil don't trust that oil over 15,000 miles either, so there is another opinion about the chemistry here. All signs point to 15,000 miles max. reference http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/77/gm's-oil-life-system-improves-timing-of-oil-change

In general, viscosity creeping upward, and TBN getting towards

Would a fram ultra be a better choice than the trd? I do believe there is a fram ultra available for the 2010 tundra v8, which is the size filter i am using. I havent seen the ultra in person, but the trd looks to be a tank in comparison to the stock paper filters i have used on this vehicle in the past.
If a Fram Ultra is available, I would use that. Sounds like there is an oversized filter available here you're already taking advantage of. I'll assume the TRD oil filter has an efficiency and dirt holding ability similar to the Amsoil EaO and Royal Purple similar full-syn media oil filters like the TRD. The Ultra has a better double-layer depth filtering full-syn media which means it's 4548-12 filltering performance is better. I don't think the TRD runs a double-layer similar media. You can't wrong using a TRD, but I'd pick the Ultra here if one was available as you say.

oil_film_movies: great posts. You've been making some great ones lately on topics I would have responded to, but I didn't post because I thought you covered it very well.

Originally Posted by JAG
oil_film_movies: great posts. You've been making some great ones lately on topics I would have responded to, but I didn't post because I thought you covered it very well.

Agreed, he's been doing a stand-up job
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Is there anything in particular about the analysis that makes you suggest limiting to 15k, or is it mostly just about following the print on the bottle?
Both what I see on your oil analysis, and Mobil's recommendations, combined.

I think your Toyota has a TBN curve like "A" below:
[Linked Image]

Those graphs, and your comment, seem to imply that the pattern of TBN decline is vehicle, rather than oil, specific.

Why would that be?

If it is, it is, but I'd have thought it'd be mostly the other way around.

Cgates
Congrats on your 1st uoa.
Everything looks pretty good so far.
I would do another uoa at 16k miles to check the TBN.
It took me about 90k miles and 10 uoa's to dial in my oil program . Good luck!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by JAG

thumbsup2.gif

What I said to him applies to your great posts, too!

Originally Posted by JAG
Originally Posted by JAG

thumbsup2.gif

What I said to him applies to your great posts, too!

Well thank you! That was unnecessary, but appreciated just the same! Always enjoy your posts as well
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JAG

thumbsup2.gif

Thirded...:!

Back