2017 Civic-EXT M1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my 2017 civic 1.5T 6MT with the duration of this OCI being run on an aggressive custom tune. No ill effects from running the 0/40 at all that I can see. Could have gone much further on this oil.
Very little oil collected in my mishimoto catch can which is the only other mod. I was still achieving 45 MPG on long trips and smooth power when I need it. I love this motor. Also the previous test was done on M1 0/w30 AFE.

EXT0w40

Last edited:
If the Honda power train engineers had free rein on recommending a viscosity for that engine, it would be thicker than the 0W20 printed in the owners manual.
Excellent results. What gas octane are you using?

I use mainly mobil 93 octane since its top tier and convenient for me locally. Also run a bottle of techron every 5k or so.

Hey Parisha,

I think its negligible. I ran this oil on a nissan 3.5 VQ engine and it sheared the heck out of it worse than this and it was port injected.
Wear numbers don't seem to show dilution being any factor at all.

Totally agreed on the wear numbers. I've seen multiple UOAs on these engines with different oils/weights used and various levels of fuel dilution severity reported - regardless, wear numbers are pretty much the same across the board. I myself use 5w30 and it seems to be doing well for my application and driving patterns (although one more UOA will be performed at around 6-7K to ensure everything looks good).

Originally Posted by irv
Is this 0W-40 the Euro flavor?

Yes it is.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Totally agreed on the wear numbers. I've seen multiple UOAs on these engines with different oils/weights used and various levels of fuel dilution severity reported - regardless, wear numbers are pretty much the same across the board. I myself use 5w30 and it seems to be doing well for my application and driving patterns (although one more UOA will be performed at around 6-7K to ensure everything looks good).

I did the same after running the 0/40 and am running 5/30 now and may stick with that through winter. I may run 0/40 in the summer going forward since it did a great job here, though the M1 has a huge amount of calcium, which I understand "could" contribute to lspi. Can't say I noticed any of that.
Im sure I would be fine running Honda's recommendation of 0/20, but I just feel better running something a bit thicker with the higher boost, cylinder pressures, temps, etc that a tune adds. Glad to see that running high boost ( 25psi peak) doesn't necessarily equate to elevated wear , at least according to analysis.

Originally Posted by tdijose
Originally Posted by irv
Is this 0W-40 the Euro flavor?

Yes it is.

The Euro flavor has high(er) ZDDP which might be one of the reasons why your analysis looks good?

I am surprised that Blackstone states that 20% of your old oil can remain in an engine and that could be the reason why it is showing a little thin?

Going by that number, one would only expect to drain 4 qrts out on a 5 qrt fill? I wonder if they are just referring to your engine or all engines in general?

Either oil is bad or that engine is just ridiculous in fuel dilution. As far as I remember M1 0W40 do not shear down. That was one of their strengths.
One would think Honda would look at issues VW had some 15 years ago, but apparently not.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Either oil is bad or that engine is just ridiculous in fuel dilution. As far as I remember M1 0W40 do not shear down. That was one of their strengths.
One would think Honda would look at issues VW had some 15 years ago, but apparently not.

The oil is fine. I've run 0/40 in a nissan vq engine and it sheared plenty. Even so, I have yet to see UOA on this motor where dilution has caused significant wear. Even with 0/20 oil.
I would hesitate to compare VW to Honda in terms of engineering.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tdijose
Originally Posted by edyvw

The oil is fine. I've run 0/40 in a nissan vq engine and it sheared plenty. Even so, I have yet to see UOA on this motor where dilution has caused significant wear. Even with 0/20 oil.
I would hesitate to compare VW to Honda in terms of engineering.
smile.gif

I am hesitating to compare VW engineering to Honda, in my CC M1 0W40 after 5k sheared down from 13.5cst to 13.3cst.
This is embarrassment (talking about Honda engineering). Oil is definiately NOT fine. One of the requirements of all those certifications that M1 0W40 carries is stay in grade requirement for OCI that ranges between 10-15k in Euro engines (since this is Euro oil). Cannot imagine what would happen if this oil was exposed to OCI like Euro engines.
I am sorry, either this particular engine is having issues or Honda just cannot figure out Turbo and direct injection technology. I would bet on that aggressive tune you are running, though it is not like these new Honda's are not known for dilution.
I would try Castrol 0W40 since it is bit thicker then M1 0W40 or Motul X-Cess 5W40.

Last edited:
There's probably more fuel in the oil than the analysis indicates. Blackstone's fuel dilution methodology is a bit rudimentary compared to higher precision gas chromatography.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
There's probably more fuel in the oil than the analysis indicates. Blackstone's fuel dilution methodology is a bit rudimentary compared to higher precision gas chromatography.

Probably. This thing sheared down to almost W20 weight.
One thing that M1 0W40 is known for is kinematic viscosity retention.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

Yes, the 380F flashpoint points to a solid dose of fuel. Blackstone's fuel dilution numbers are notorious for being off by a wide margin.

o.k. glad to see your 0/40 UOA, thx.

2 Q's. did you observe an oil level rise on the dipstick? were you monitoring that?

@dblshock, I check my quite often actually. It stayed near the top of the dipstick for the entire OCI. If it went up at all, it was a miniscule amount on the dipstick. I have observed a slow rise on my wife's 2017 CRV. I may run an analysis on her car soon. She is also tuned but I have her car on m1 0-20 EP.

From what I have read those 1.5 Honda engines have had some problems with fuel dilution since they are a fairly new engine. Hopefully yours will be ok for many many miles. I have owned many Civics and never had a bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back