Snowblower purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - I'm looking to buy a good 4cycle snowblower that will start everytime and last twenty years with good care.
Please give me your recommendations.
Performance first, cost second.
You know more than the sales people I talk with.
Thanks

I have had a TORO for the past 21 years. It has never failed to start after setting all summer. Blows snow like crazy. If I were going to replace it, I would probably buy another one.

I have heard the Honda snowblowers are very good but I have no experience with them.

Ariens also make a very good snowblower. It uses the same engine that the TORO does. Just a different color. My neighbor has one of these that is 35 years old.

If cost is not an issue, IMHO, stay away from things like MTD, Sears, etc. Get a name brand.

I agree with Johnny - stay away from MTD, Sears. I don't know much about Ariens. Plan to spend at least $1,000 for a good one.

MTD owns many brands that used to be independently owned, and they do make different grades for certain "name plates." Do some investigating if you really want to stay away from an MTD manufactured blower, i.e. MTD makes Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt, etc.

The top two that will probably get you to 20yrs is simplicity or honda. They are the most expensive. Third and fourth would be toro and ariens. Keep in mind, all but honda use the same engines. Either tecumseh or briggs & stratton. There is absolutely nothing wrong with all the MTD variations and sears units (some of which were MTD, some murray design, murray is no longer). You can easily get 10yrs+ normal service out of them at half the cost of honda or simplicity.
G/luck
Joel

I'm a Toro owner, and I love my 726te 2-stage two-stroke. I've had it 2 years so far and it's been great so far. Unless you are dead-set against a 2-cycle you should check it out. I never worry about forgetting to check the oil (if you buy a 4-stroke Tecumseh...make sure you NEVER forget).
GrtArtiste

I have a Toro single stage that is now 16 years old and works great. Always start in 1-2 pulls and never lacks for power.

I've got a 35 year old Toro that I picked up a few years ago for about $350. The thing is a tank. It's got a 7hp B&S and a 32" cut. Depending on the oil used, she'll start up with either the recoil start, or if too cold, with the electric cord.

I figure if I can get three years out of it, I'm doing great. Anything else is icing on the cake.

I'm not sure if the new ones are made like this, but if they are, go for it.

My neighbor has a 30+ year old Airens that he swears by. When this blower finally kicks it, I'd like a Honda, but I usually spend that kind of money on cars...heh.

Bogatyr

Bought a Honda single-stage last winter season. Great little machine. Took care of the pretty decent snowfalls we had (I'm in Chicagoland too).
No complaints here.

Here's another great snowblower thread:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000360#000000

There's even more here if you use the search feature of this forum.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I want one of those triple auger jobs Bror Jace pictured in Buffalo. My neighbors would love that!

ChiTDI - Here's a link to an Outdoor Power Equipment Forum

While the snowblower discussions are somewhat slow during summer months, this forum has some of the best snowblower threads on the web.

Ariens factory engineers have even contributed info on Ariens blowers!

I bought a Toro 726LE about two years ago. There was on minor defect that was corrected, but it's been a fine machine. My favorite feature is a joystick control for the chute. With one hand, I can change the direction and deflection of the snow. It'll shoot snow clear over the backboard of the basketball hoop in the driveway.

I even treated it to a quart of the Green Elixer in the fall.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Scott P:
I bought a Toro 726LE about two years ago. There was on minor defect that was corrected, but it's been a fine machine. My favorite feature is a joystick control for the chute. With one hand, I can change the direction and deflection of the snow. It'll shoot snow clear over the backboard of the basketball hoop in the driveway.

I even treated it to a quart of the Green Elixer in the fall.
smile.gif

Please confirm: Do you have the 726 model with the 2-stroke? Or is this another model with a 4-cycle? By Green elixir I assume you are referring to GC?

It's a regular four stroke Techumseh (sp?). Yes, the green elixer is German Castrol. A couple of little elves were going door to door selling the stuff.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back