Kawasaki 17HP Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what oil(s) Kawasaki recomends for their air-cooled vertical-shaft twins? My John Deere manual of course says to use JD-brand oil. The manual also has the typical chart showing to use 30HD during warmer temps and 10W-30 if below 40°F. I don't plan on using mine below 40 so I won't need cold starting capability. Any suggestions?

Tnx

My JD is a 1990, 625 Series w/ the hydrostatic transmission that I bought used with about 500 hours on it ....

I'd down here in Northern Alabama and I have been running the Amsoil 10w-30 synthetic for the past three seasons with excellent results. This engine has a spin on, full flow oil filter and my oil is barely dark after 60-75 hours of use.

I also plan to change over the transmission to the Amsoil 5w-30, hydraulic/transmission fluid, which exceeds all the current JD specs. Just one of those things I haven't gotten around to yet....

Bottom line is that any high quality, 10w-30 synthetic will work well here. I'd recommend the GC/0w-30 or perhaps the Redline 10w-30. You could also try the new Mobil 1, 10w-30 Extended Performance formula.

One thing I would highly recommend is that you run 91-93 octane fuel in hot weather. My engine vapor locks badly on 87 octane and fuel w/ 10% ethanol is to be avoided all together.

Tooslick

I just bought a JD LX 280 18 HP Kawasaki and the first two oil changes are going to be JD 10W 30 at 5 Hours and 10 hours after that I am going to Mobil 1 10W 30 SS at 25 hours.
cheers.gif

I couldn't find the voa on John Deere 10W-30. I might try the Mobil 1 10W-30 EP at 25 hours. This LX280 is brand new only 2 Hours on it.
cheers.gif

Kawi's do very well on 40wt's as well. In fact I think some of the newer deere's spec that for the kawi engine. Might be a better choice for super hot applications.
G/luck
Joel

I agree that the 40 weights are probably best for air cooled applications. My new John Deere manual (L118, B&S 22 hp Intek V-twin) recommends 5w-30, 10w-30 or 10w-40 based on temperature. The 10w-40 is recommended for use above 100 degreees. I'm going to use Mobil 1 5w-40 Truck & SUV since it will combine the quickest oil flow at start-up and much more importantly the best high temperature protection for mowing in summer heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back