ATF as 2 cycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy everyone - rainy day, good day to surf the web and think about oil
smile.gif

I've got about two gallons of old ATF Dextron II. Can I use this as a two cycle oil mix?
Thanks
Glenn.

I have heard somewhere, if you use regular engine oil, you need to have a richer oil/gas mix. The formula would be interesting to know. But I wouldent cheap out on what wouldent provide as good as protection myself. At best, you would go through spark plugs faster and clog up the ports, etc. But neverless, this is an interesting topic.

As a kid, I had a maintenance/grounds-keeping job.

They used to mix bulk 30 weight oil with gas instead of buying proper 2-stroke oil.

Funny, they never seemed to get more than about one and a half seasons out of a chainsaw or weed whip.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

my old man put 3 or 4 gallons of two stroke made with 20W-50 GTX before I set him (back) on the right path.

quote:

Howdy everyone - rainy day, good day to surf the web and think about oil
I've got about two gallons of old ATF Dextron II. Can I use this as a two cycle oil mix?
Thanks

Sorry about the rainy day. We finally cleared up after tornadic storms and blowing rain.

DII or any ATF is NOT good for 2-cycles since it does not have the right viscosity or additives.

The viscosity needs to be about 12-13 cSt verses ATF (7 cSt). The higher viscosity aids in the lubricity when mixed with gasoline.

One of the problems that I see is that the Dexron II is not ashless, so carboning would be a huge factor. Also I am a firm believer that one should only use the oil designed for that engine, in your case two-cycle.

My problem is that I don't have a pocket full of loose cash to experiment on engines. So trans fluid in the transmission and two-cycle oil in a two cycle engine. JMO

smile.gif

Thanks for the reply fella's.
I can remember when I was a little boy, my dad would mix three ounces 30 weight motor oil with one gallon gas for his chainsaw. (His mixture system was to take a coke bottle, fill it half way with oil, and then pour that into a gallon bottle and fill it up with gasoline). This worked well for years and years.
Usually, I use 2 cycle oil, however, in a pinch, I have reverted to Papa's old system with no problems.
Of what I have read, ATF is a very light weight oil (between 10 and 20 weight) with an additive package for transmission use. Likewise, (unless I am mistaken), 2 cycle oil is a very light weight oil with an additive package for 2 cycle motors.
Dad's method of straight 30 weight motor oil worked well and that's what got me to thinking about the ATF.
About a month ago, I picked up a string trimmer, (weed-eater) for four bucks at a yard sell. "Hummmm," says I, "time to experiment."

Thanks Mola for the numbers -
Rain was nice - although with the wind, I had to chase my garbage cans down the street
frown.gif

Therefore, according to the numbers, could I just double the amount of lube? In other words, instead of adding 4 oz. per gallong, add 8? Or am I not understanding things correctly?
Thanks again
Glenn

Oh yeah, I have been there. When I was a kid, I used every thing under the sun to run my 1972 DT125 Yamaha, the Yamaha Chappy, the Yamaha MX100 and my Honda Elsinore 125. We would siphon gas from moms car and mix any form of oil we could find. ATF was used from time to time. I do not remember the actual results of the ATF, but I do remember the frequent engine failures that resulted from the use of crappy oils.

Seems to me that the ATF worked well enough to keep the engine from experiencing a rapid siezure.

Chris

Having 2 & 4 stroke bikes I always mixed my own,but one day when mowing the lawns I had run out of 2 stroke oil,so I thought I'd just use ATF,it was the same colour right? I was only a few minutes into the heavy grass when my mower siezed.So I drained the tank,went and got the proper oil and added the correct amount to the ATF mixture,so now my 25:1 was more like 12:1,no more siezing,and yet no more smoke than a 25:1 mix - I reckon that ATF may as well not have been in there,it was doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back