4-stroke string trimmer: Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked myself up an HHT31 Honda 4-stroke string trimmer this afternoon. The dealer cautioned me against using synthetic oil, but could not be specific as to why. "Any 10w-30 will do, but I have plenty of the Honda brand oil packed in 100cc bottles for your convenience".

Other than his own interest, what harm would there be in recommending a synthetic oil for this application?

I would like to know that one myself. I know from looking at hondas own honda motorcycle oil bottles, Ive seen this, 4cycle syn HP4 oil, HP4 blends the heat stability and shear resistance of a synthetic, with the lubricity of a mineral oil to get the best of both worlds.

Sorry I don't have input on your oil question, but can I ask where you procured that trimmer, and what it set you back? That's my "dream" trimmer, but most probably out of my financial reach!

There are only two Honda dealers within 50 miles of my home; both selling the equipment for the same price, so I bought from the closest dealer. Glen's Mower and Repair Service had the HHT31 priced at $429+tx. That is higher than Honda's suggested price of $359, but I would easily spend the difference in fuel ($2.36/gal) trying to find a better deal. I figure the machine should last 20 years or more and $21.45/yr is an easier pill to swallow. Heck, I've spent more money on dumber things, that's for sure.

Prior to leaving, the dealer tested the unit which I selected prior to completeing the sale. He filled it with fuel and oil, primed the carb, set the throttle lock, and closed the choke. One short pull of the rope. Then he opened the choke and slid the ignition switch to the "on" position. One more short pull of the rope and raaaaaaaaaappppppppppapapapapapapapappapa the motor was off to the races! I have never witnessed any 2-stroke motor start so easily, this 4-stroke is a dream come true!

Honda build quality is second to none IMHO and I agree that the price up front is high, but in the long run it makes for a wise investment.

Now about the oil, here's a quote from the Honda Power Equipment website FAQ's:

quote:

Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda equipment?

quote:

"Honda engines are developed, tested and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet or exceed all oil requirements as stated in the owners manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."

The owners manual recommends 10w-30 and 5w-30 depending on ambient air tempuratues, so long as either oil is SL rated. I have now come to the conclusion that 100cc's of M1 or Amsoil would cause no harm to this engine.

BTW- I love this trimmer!

Wow -- that is expensive! As you say, though, probably not a bad deal if it does last 20 years...if you would normally buy a $100 Weed Eater every five years.

I have the 31 cc version of that engine on my Honda mini rototiller. I’ve run Amsoil 10W-30, Chevron 10W-30, Schaeffer 15W-40, as well as the Honda oil it came with. As you might expect, none of the oils I’ve run changed the operating characteristics of this sweet little mini 4-stroke. The one start pull on these things is truly amazing. I’ve never needed to use the choke!

Note, I do change the oil out frequently as it only holds 100 cc.

My 17 year old, Honda HP-214 push mower has seen nothing but Amsoil (currently their 5w-20, XL stuff, which I just happened to have around). I expect the engine to last another 17 years.

The Mobil 1, 10w-30 would be my OTC choice here.

TS

I bought one of these last year over the internet going with the lowest price I could find.

After break-in, I switched to Schaeffer's 10W-30 syn blend and then M1 10W-30. Engine runs great, but I find the trimmer a little heavy and it doesn't seem to generate the RPMs my Stihl does.

Try the Echo .095" Cross-Fire line for an even better cut.

quote:

Originally posted by eklock:
There are only two Honda dealers within 50 miles of my home; both selling the equipment for the same price, so I bought from the closest dealer. Glen's Mower and Repair Service had the HHT31 priced at $429+tx. That is higher than Honda's suggested price of $359, but I would easily spend the difference in fuel ($2.36/gal) trying to find a better deal. I figure the machine should last 20 years or more and $21.45/yr is an easier pill to swallow. Heck, I've spent more money on dumber things, that's for sure.

Prior to leaving, the dealer tested the unit which I selected prior to completeing the sale. He filled it with fuel and oil, primed the carb, set the throttle lock, and closed the choke. One short pull of the rope. Then he opened the choke and slid the ignition switch to the "on" position. One more short pull of the rope and raaaaaaaaaappppppppppapapapapapapapappapa the motor was off to the races! I have never witnessed any 2-stroke motor start so easily, this 4-stroke is a dream come true!

Honda build quality is second to none IMHO and I agree that the price up front is high, but in the long run it makes for a wise investment.

Now about the oil, here's a quote from the Honda Power Equipment website FAQ's:

quote:

Can I use synthetic oil in my Honda equipment?

quote:

"Honda engines are developed, tested and certified with petroleum based motor oils as a lubricant. Any motor oil used in our engines must meet or exceed all oil requirements as stated in the owners manual to include the recommended oil change intervals."

The owners manual recommends 10w-30 and 5w-30 depending on ambient air tempuratues, so long as either oil is SL rated. I have now come to the conclusion that 100cc's of M1 or Amsoil would cause no harm to this engine.

BTW- I love this trimmer!

I have an Echo 3000 SRM - 20 years old. One pull - starts and wants to pull your arm off. Honda makes great stuff (love my VFR), but I also love the two-stroke power of lawn equipment and ECHO has my vote hands down!!

My Dad has an Echo SRM3000 and I agree it is a heck of a machine. Always starts within 3 pulls and has loads of power, even with the saw blade.

my honda trimmer is great but,it does not have the power that my husky has.if you want power and dont want problems go with ECHO.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back