STP Synthetic Oil Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a bottle of STP synthetic oil treatment on his shelf and I'm thinking about sending it in for a VOA just for kicks. I just want to see what is in this stuff? My question is is there any need to get the TBN on this?

I don’t think the TBN is worth it because it becomes diluted into the motor oil in the crankcase but if you are keen on knowing all you can on it, it would’t hurt. Thanks for the effort. Looking forward to seeing it.

Here is a link to a VOA that was done on STP High Mileage Oil Treatment. Basically, it was little more than an oil thickener, with a few hundred ppm of zinc, phos, and calcium. FWIW, it had a TBN of 6.2.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Here is a link to a VOA that was done on STP High Mileage Oil Treatment. Basically, it was little more than an oil thickener, with a few hundred ppm of zinc, phos, and calcium. FWIW, it had a TBN of 6.2.

Disappointing. At least it should have boosted the zinc and phosphorous but here it diluted it.

UOA the oil in your vehicle then add the STP then run 2,000 miles and do another uoa.

STP oil treatment is pretty thick like honey. Does it mix in with the engine oil easily?
I know some friends that love these stuff and put them in all their cars ...
Some oils don't specify how much zddp they have so it's hard to tell if stp dilutes or not!
My friend says his car runs smoother with one can (16 oz?) of stp. idk!
It has pretty good reviews on amazon!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
STP oil treatment is pretty thick like honey. Does it mix in with the engine oil easily?
I know some friends that love these stuff and put them in all their cars ...
Some oils don't specify how much zddp they have so it's hard to tell if stp dilutes or not!
My friend says his car runs smoother with one can (16 oz?) of stp. idk!
It has pretty good reviews on amazon!

API SN+ GF-5 PCMO's have between 600-800 PPM of ZDDP. So it dilute's the motor oil quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back