best oil to mix for a Lawnboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR

I have a 2 cycle lawnboy and I've just been using lawn boy ashless oil in it. No problems with it, but just curious, what is the best oil to mix with the gas for it?

DR, there are a number of threads on here about 2-stroke oils. Do a search. I can't see why any good, general purpose 2-stroke oils wouldn't work well in your Lawn Boy.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I use Amsoil 100:1 oil. Amsoil does really well in both my Lawn-Boys. Leaves very little carbon deposits. I have been mixing at approx. an 80:1 ratio using one 8 oz. bottle per 5 gal gas. Compression is still good after five years using this mix. BTW there is nothing wrong with the Lawn-Boy oil. Seems to protect the engine very well as I had an old mower bought new in 1973 that was used for commercial use for 23 years until it needed a rebuild. Used the Lawn-Boy oil all its life. In my opinion the Lawn-Boy is the best mower you can buy.
cheers.gif

I would not use an ash oil such as MX2T in your lawn boy. Ashless oils are used in this case because they clean better when the motor is being ran at a steady RPM such as a 2 stroke lawn mower or boat motor. Ash oils depend on RPM to fluctuate to clean properly. There is a reason lawn boy recommends a ashless oil.

Hirev is obsolutley right. use a ashless oil in lawnboys and toros. Low ash oils work ok, but you will have to change plugs more often as the mettalics build up on the plugs and cause hard starting. I know this because I ran mx2t through a toro snowblower for several seasons. Plugs would last about a month of semi daily use before the engine became hard to start. New plug and viola' starts like new.

BTW I now use Phillips Synjex in my Toro snow commander and my two Lawnboys(both share the same basic motor.
Synjex is by far the best tcw3 oil I have found for use in constant rpm, intermitten load engines like the LB Duraforce and Toro snow commander(both are basicly the same).
BTW dont run a LB with less oil than reccomended counter to what the Amsoil/Opti zealots tell you. The motor used in LB mowers use a plain bearing(ie Shell type) vs. the roller bearings found in most every other two cycle. Plain bearings are much less tolerant of poor luberication compared to a roller bearing hence the reason LB says to use a 32:1 ratio.

[ February 21, 2005, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
BTW I now use Phillips Synjex in my Toro snow commander and my two Lawnboys(both share the same basic motor.
Synjex is by far the best tcw3 oil I have found for use in constant rpm, intermitten load engines like the LB Duraforce and Toro snow commander(both are basicly the same).
BTW dont run a LB with less oil than reccomended counter to what the Amsoil/Opti zealots tell you. The motor used in LB mowers use a plain bearing(ie Shell type) vs. the roller bearings found in most every other two cycle. Plain bearings are much less tolerant of poor luberication compared to a roller bearing hence the reason LB says to use a 32:1 ratio.

Not sure about the new Lawn-Boys, but the F-engines (late 1970s through early 1990s) used needle bearings. The older engines in the early 1970s used one needle bearing on the upper crank and a bushing-type bearing on the bottom of the crank.
cheers.gif

Blano, it was back in the fall of '03 when I was inquiring what 2 cycle oil to use for my Toro snowblower (at that time using Stihl) and a message from you stated:
"blano
Member # 762

posted December 01, 2003 10:33 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are products available that cost less than the Stihl oil yet are much better in quality. I run mobil MX2T in the same blower with great results. I having been doing this for sever al years. I havent so much as replaced a plug in this time and I am in big snow country where it gets plenty of use."

Are you now saying this is no longer the case?
You have decided the Phillips Synjex is better? Guess I'm glad I never got around to using the MX2T. Guess I'll stick with the Stihl, then.

GrtArtiste

I might also add that this issue only revealed itself after 4+ seasons of using mx2t at a rate of 1.5 gallons of oil per season. I know this seems like alot of fuel to be using in a snowthrower, but I live in the UP of MI, just south of lake Superior.

Yes, that is correct, GrtArtiste. I ran into situation where the unit would become hard to start. I had to rely in the electric instead of the usual two pulls. Replace the plug(which looked very good) and the problem went away. This is the first year I ran Synjex and it solved the problem. FWIW stihl oil or any air cooled oil will do the same thing sooner or latter due to the mettalic content. I intially thought that a low ash oil would be great beacause the engine in question is aircooled, but this is not the case. I believe the combonation of low rpms(3000 or less) and constant throttle is what causes this issue. I have since used about gallon of synjex and it has started 1st or 2nd pull every time and hasnt missed a beat all winter.
Your still getting hosed buying stihl oil.

My dad has used the standard 40:1 in his Lawnboy for over 40 years. I've used Ultron and now Amsoil synthetic 2-cycle oil, mixed 100:1, in my chain saws and trimmers for 25 years. I have yet to wear one out. I have never even had to replace a spark plug.

If you run synthetic 2-cycle oils in the ratios specified for mineral 2-cycle oils, you probably will not even be able to start the mower, trimmer, or chain saw. You will likely pull your arm out trying. Synthetic TC oils are thicker than mineral-based TC oils, which have a heavy solvent component in them to reduce carbon buildup on the cylinder head, rings, exhaust port, and muffler.

My TC equipment is so reliable that I no longer believe in buying quality Echo products. My $78 Weedeater from Home Depot works just as well and is just as reliable as my Echo was. I attribute it to using API TC-rated (air cooled) synthetic oil. Also, my equipment gets used a lot. I knew a guy who had his own landscaping business in Florida. He didn't even really measure the synthetic TC oil he added to his gasoline. He filled the bottle cap and just poured it in. I was shocked, but he never had any trouble.

[ July 15, 2005, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: TxGreaseMonkey ]

Blano, I recently picked up a Toro 3650 snowblower. I am looking to try out the Phillips Synjex oil but I am having trouble finding it locally. Any suggestions on where to find it? Do you still feel the Synjex is better to run in these motors than MX2T? Thanks.

I have been using TORCO 2-cycle oil for years in my chain saws, blowers, weed trimmers, and hedge trimmers. All recommended API-TC oil. Yesterday I purchased a new Ariens model 722 2-cycle snowblower, so I planned to use the same oil. I was surprised when I read the owners manual and it said to use a TCW-3 2-cycle oil. I could not understand why until I read blano's post above. So I just ordered some TORCO outboard 2-cycle oil for it.

Oh, one more thing; before I purchased my TORO mower 3 years ago, I ran a Lawn Boy for 26 years and always used Lawn Boy oil. Never had any problems with it.

quote:

Originally posted by durango7:
Blano, I recently picked up a Toro 3650 snowblower. I am looking to try out the Phillips Synjex oil but I am having trouble finding it locally. Any suggestions on where to find it? Do you still feel the Synjex is better to run in these motors than MX2T? Thanks.

I just picked up a new Toro Snow Commander and would like to know where the Phillips oil can be purchased also.

Blano has also highly recommended Amsoil HPI for Lawn-Boys. If you search he tested it on a new outboard with excellent results. It may be easier to get too.

Thanks,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back