Recommend An Oil for My Used Snowblower....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a used snowblower for free and was wondering if you guys could recommend an oil and viscosity for me please. I did not get any owner's manual with it.

It is an MTD 10 hp 28 inch, Tecumseh 2 stroke engine, it is approximately 5 years old max, 6 fwd speeds and 2 reverse speeds. It runs a bit rough, but it does the trick. Last year we had to clean out the carb and magneto to get it running, but she runs okay now. I want to change out the oil and would like to have some advice on the oil to use. I would think a synthetic is the way to go in cold weather operations, I store it in the garage for the most part. I have no idea what the viscosity should be though.

BTW, are there any other lubrication fluids on these machines other than motor oil ?, I'd love to get an owners manual for it to keep it working as long as possible. As of right now I know nothing about these machines though, so any help would be appreciated. thanks

Joey

Hi. Well I also have a few question about the machine before I make any comments. Does it use any oil is my big question along with does it leak any oil. If it doesn't use or leak any oil I would suggest a 0W-30 or 0W-40. I would lean to the 0W-40. Right now I have mobil 1 0W-40 in my log splitter. Startes like a dream and acts like it loves the oil. If it leaks oil a synthedic I would suggest would be out of the question and would reqamend a good 5W-30 dino oil. If it use a little oil and you don't mind the extra price of synthedic I would go with the 0W-30 or 0W-40. But don't be an *** if it's a masqito fogger and dump in synthedic. Also I would like to say that if price of the 0W's oil's to high for your liking maybe consider rotella t synthedic 5W-40.

thanks for the reply, it doesnt seem to use oil right now. I get a bit of blue smoke on start up but none while it's running. So I think it is good so far.

I may have made a mistake in my post, it must be a 4 stroke engine because it has a separate oil sump and fuel tank. I dont think it is a 2 stroke.

thanks.

Post some engine#'s!

From the Tecumseh "flathead" manual-

NOTE: DO NOT USE SAE10W40 OIL.
For summer (above 32°F, 0oC) use SAE 30 oil part # 730225 (1 quart, .946 liter container) in high temperature, high load applications.
S.A.E.10W30 is an acceptable substitute.
For winter (below 32°F, 0oC) use S.A.E. 5W30 oil part # 730226 (1 quart, .946 liter container)
S.A.E.10W is an acceptable substitute.
S.A.E. 0W30 should only be used when ambient temperature is below 0oF, -18oC.

i drink, i know you meant to type in 4-stroke...i would maybe run a short spell of 15-40 mixed fleet with it's increased detergency to clean things out a little, then maybe switch over to a good 10w30 synth..maybe amsoil 10w30 atm or mobil 1 10w30 due to the conditions these things are usualy run in. if it leaks w/a synthetic, maybe a dino 10-30 with good cold weather properties? pennzoil 10-30 or a high milage 5-30? the only other things i could see needing lube on the thing might be a few zerk fittings that need a shot o' grease here and there. maybe a good fuel stabilizer and a shot of spray lube on the linkages? i like the synthetic sprays, like superlube alot. ps, if it is a 2-stroke an i just assumed it was a 4, i have had success w/ the poulan 2 stoke syn in my weed wacker, and hand held blower.
cheers.gif

I currently use German Castrol 0W/30 in my snowblower. Should be the Snow King motor on yours also. Manual Recommends
Straight Grade above 32 SAE 30W
Multi-Grade 0 to 32 SAE 5W30
Synthetic Below 0 SAE 0W30
I just go with the synthetic.

thank techumseh for the summer specs on an engine mounted on a snowblower.
dunno.gif
i know bills da man though! penz
worshippy.gif
actualy, some 2 strokes do have a seperate res for the oil and gas..the injected ones found on lots of outboards, jetskis, and snowmobiles.

My snowblower is 27 years old and runs like new. I was using 10w-40 for the longest time but am now using 5W-40 Mobil 1 Delvac (Truck/SUV). The high detergent oil is perfect for my filterless engine.

thanks for all the great replies, that is very helpful indeed. Its funny how Tecumseh makes a point to distinguish between 5w-30 and 0w-30 oil so specifically. You would think any good quality 0w-30 would perform as good as a 5w-30 in the higher temps. strange.

I'll take a better peek at the whole setup in the next few days and prepare to change the oil at the least. thanks again , much appreciated
smile.gif

penzdude: “Thank Tecumseh for the summer specs on an engine mounted on a snowblower.”

Ah yes, the manufacturers give us Dilbertisms and still some wonder why we second-guess their recommendations.
rolleyes.gif

Also, anyone else feel their warning about 10W-40 is about a decade or two out of date?
dunno.gif
I’m assuming they are referring to the problems using first-generation batches of this stuff and the troublesome viscosity index improvers which made a gooey mess of a lot of engines.

Now, I know some people might be tempted to use 80s vintage 10W-40 oil they found in their basement but ...

Most PCMOs are awfully shear-prone these days and if a 10W-40 shears down some (and it will, quickly) you’d still be comfortably in the 30 weight ‘zone.’

Idrinkmotoroil: “It’s funny how Tecumseh makes a point to distinguish between 5w-30 and 0w-30 oil so specifically. You would think any good quality 0w-30 would perform as good as a 5w-30 in the higher temps. Strange.”

Yes, very. These recommendations suggest a lack of thought and understanding went into them. Of course, in their defense, oil formulations change quickly and often. Some 0W-30 and 5W-30 formulations are better than others. Best just to keep it as simple and general as they can ... but that also means that ‘oil connoisseurs’ are able to second guess what they print in their manuals and come up with a better choice than that which is specified by the factory.

Brett Miller “Any good 5W-30 will do fine. Pennzoil, Chevron, Motorcraft, Castrol, Havoline, Super Tech. Take your pick and bundle up!”

I’m inclined to agree that any of those would be fine. One warning, however, is that these PCMOs are shearing down quite quickly (even in moderate applications) and I’d expect consumption of these oils in one of these motors could be quite high ... even in a snowblower operating in sub-freezing conditions . So, I’d check the level each time before it is run and I’d change it fairly often, especially if you notice that after a certain amount of hours, the consumption rate begins to rise.

But my first choice (assuming a heated garage) is a 15W-40 like Schaeffer or Chevron Delo400 until someone can show me some evidence that there is a downside to using them.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back