near dead 8hp Briggs and Stratton engine - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

We have an ariens riding mower for doing our yard. We purchased it in 1987. It is a small mower, not a tractor type. Rear engine, with a 8hp briggs and stratton engine. It mows on hilly terrain for about 1.5 hours per week.

the mower was serviced once a year at the local mower place we bought it from. in the last number of years, at least 5 or more, it has used a lot of oil. It is filled to the 'full' mark before use each week, and after use for the week, it is below the 'min' mark, sometimes not even registering on the dipstick.

Since coming on this site, we have been using 15w-40 HDEO instead, hoping to keep things cleaner and have less consumption.

This past summer, it started running really poorly. We pulled the spark plug, and for the first time, it was really fouled. There was a carbon deposit as long as the electrode. We changed it and found that the magneto was going south, so we replaced that.

It worked fine for most of the summer and early fall, and tried to help it by cleaning the systems. Because it was more or less of a last ditch effort, we ran some gunk engine flush through according to directions, changed the oil, used it for the day, changed the oil again, and things seemed a little better. It still used lots of 15w-40, but it ran, started a bit easier, and the exhaust was less smoky.

Towards the end of the fall, it simply wouldnt start. Nothing seems wrong, nothing abnormal, we get spark, but it wont go. I think its the end for the engine.

How much does a typical B&S 8hp engine cost? How much is a typical rebuild? Can they be easily purchased new/rebuilt? Is there somewhere online that sells them? I dont know how the engine connects to the RWD/blade drive systems, but I cant imagine its too complex. How are engines like this typically attached to the drive and power systems, and can an engine be removed/replaced with typical shop tools?

Anyinfo would be greatly appreciated. We will have some time around the holidays, and if we could do something around that time, it would be really great, otherwise I need to start getting some leads.

Thanks for your time and help,

JMH

You may have lost the rings or they gummmmmmied up.
New engines are not cheap but I think your best bet is to find some small engine rebuilder and take it to them. I am sure you have some kind of classified for sale paper just browse thru it never know what you will find.

Ken

I don't think an engine like that is worth rebuilding unless you're going to do it yourself. It would cost several hundred bucks to have done, and you're still left with an old engine. You're looking at around $3-400 to replace that engine. Look at smallenginewarehouse.com for cheap engines....also check ebay. It is extremely easy to change an engine like that, 4 bolts and a pulley is about all you have to move. Not much harder than changing the oil...

Posting the engine model & type #'s is useful to determine exactly which engine you have, which helps determine if it's worth rebuilding or not. It also helps a "bit" for troubleshooting.
EG- If it's an OHV, it may have a blown head gasket causing excessive oil consumption/poor performance. A blown head gasket on a flathead wouldn't cause excessive oil consumption. A head gasket is a relatively inexpensive repair.
If the engine is an aluminum bore, it's probably not worth messing with. Get a new short block or replacement engine.

quote:

Originally posted by cryptokid:
its probably the pcv system. take the hose off the carb nd just let it vent to atmosphere. then block off the hole in the carb with a dab of silicone.

drive it around for a standard week and recheck the plug to see if its still looks bad. replrt back what you see in a week.

PCV system? i dont know enough, but i vouldnt think there is actually a vent system like that.

Ill get the info and post it as soon as Im in town.

Thanks very much!

JMH

JMH

[ December 14, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

its probably the pcv system. take the hose off the carb nd just let it vent to atmosphere. then block off the hole in the carb with a dab of silicone.

drive it around for a standard week and recheck the plug to see if its still looks bad. replrt back what you see in a week.

There are a couple of other sites to get a new engine from. Surplus Center and Small engine Distributors and Small engine Wharehouse come to mind. I purchased a 7.5HP Robin engine for $179 from one of those sites. A smokin deal!

smallenginewarehouse(dotcom) has an 8HP vertical shaft Briggs for $325. Also E-Bay is a good place to look. If you have the time to wait (till spring) Keep looking on those sites and E-bay. You might be able to get your engine for less.

Chris

Check around with the local small engine repair shops, often they have used stuff and you might find a good engine for a few $$. You need to find the small dealers, the bigger stores just junk the trade-ins but the smaller dealers realize the used parts value. There is one dealer around here that has 100's of old machines you take-off parts for dirt cheap.

It's probably an aluminum bore engine so at minimum it will need bored and a new piston. You could try a set of chrome rings from Briggs. They may buy you a year or 2.

[ December 16, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Brett Miller ]

I have several briggs and stratton and I have a few that blow the smoke. rings and maybe a piston would help reduce oil usage but were real problem is the valve guides are worn and thus letting oil into the combustion chamber.

A lot depends on the hill degrees,any engine can wear out even with the best oils,the Briggs you have is a vertical,aluminum,block,,,I would get a new engine,Northen hydralics,,or,, and run a 15w40,,any Rotella synthic,or the new Castrol 15w-40,,BL

You might want to take the head off and check what you can easily see. I found a blown head gasket that was causing mine to burn oil. New head gasket isn't much money. Seems to be a somewhat common problem with otherwise reliable B&S engines. You might need some torque specs to get the head back on if it is the gasket; dealer may help with that or maybe someone here. Machine shop can mill the head if needed.

I think the B&S will outlast most mowers they are mounted on.

Good luck.

[ December 20, 2004, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

OK I have the engine info:

Its an 8hp B&S model 191707 type 2164 01, code 87020209

Electric start and pull startable, from an ariens 927e mower.

Thanks!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by White 03:
You might want to take the head off and check what you can easily see. I found a blown head gasket that was causing mine to burn oil......
Good luck.

If the engine in question was OHV, I'd agree that it would be one of the first things to check. Since it isn't an OHV....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back