What mower engine do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

I have a self-propelled Craftsman 6.75 HP mower. I bought it new in '01 or '02 here in MI. It has an "Eager 1" engine, is that made by Briggs and Stratton? Is it good or on the cheap side? It runs great and starts on the first pull, even after winter storage. How many mower hours is the equal of 3,000 miles in a car? I'm currently using SuperTech 30W every 12 hrs but am thinking of switching this spring. What would be the better oil for it: 30W Rotella or 15W40 Rotella?

pretty low tech, but I tip em up and look at the size of the crankshaft end the blade is bolted too. A bigger shaft has bigger carrier bearing, what usually fails before the motor dies. Used to be you could see the difference between commercial grade motors and the cheapys by checking this. Not sure if it's still true. I put some 15/50 mobile 1 in my tecumsha motor after a few breakin cuts. Never been changed in 4-5years and it';s still suprisingly clean and doesn't use any. Thank Honda for the 1st pull starting, if it wasn't for their competition we'd still be setting points and cussing broken recoils.

post the serial number. I also have a 6.75 hp craftsman mower but it's much older than yours. It has a briggs engine on it and it's been a incredibly tough little mower.

I get the puff of smoke on start-up but it doesn't use oil between annual changes. It was purchased new back in the early 1990's. Other than a new set of wheels and a blade and air filters it's been trouble free. Heck, it's even on the original spark plug.

Here are the specs on the engine:

Engine Model: 143.016700
Engine family: YTPXS.1951BA
Displacement: 195
D.O.M.:0294 C

Additionally, there is no drainplug and oil capacity is 18 oz, the airfilter is a screw off paper element.

Any thoughts on 15W40 Rotella vs 30W Rotella?

Sears engines that have the 143.xxxxx are Tecumsehs.

Either of your oil choices should work fine.
I kind of like Delo 400, but Rotella is somewhat similar.
I'd probably go with a 10W-30 unless you have high temperatures.
Let the owners manual be your guide.

quote:

Originally posted by wileyE:
A bigger shaft has bigger carrier bearing, what usually fails before the motor dies.

I highly doubt this motor has a bearing there, just a bushing. This motor is definately "on the cheap side". Even so, as long as you change the oil regularly it should last longer than you want it to. As allways I'm going to suggest synthetic oil, since you need so little oil it is really cheap. It will help with start up wear, which is a big issue on an aluminum bore motor. It will also give you a tad bit more power.

ZmOz,

Since I have syn 5W30 (M1 and Amsoil) I'll try one in the mower this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back