Liquimoly Molygen Motor Protect

Since the old Motor Protect does not really give any MPG improvement, I recently tried the Molygen Motor Protect. It seems the effect is slightly better than Lubegard Biotech EOP on maintaining lower oil temperature at light driving.

Just wonder if anyone else tried on this Molygen Motor Protect and what was the observation ?

Your engine's oil temp is ultimately regulated by the cooling system.
If you change the oil additive, then the cooling system would would still regulate to maintain overall engine temps per the ECM commands.

It will not just run at a lower temperature when combustion is occurring. Look at the larger thermodynamic system here and the regulating factors.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Your engine's oil temp is ultimately regulated by the cooling system.
If you change the oil additive, then the cooling system would would still regulate to maintain overall engine temps per the ECM commands.

It will not just run at a lower temperature when combustion is occurring. Look at the larger thermodynamic system here and the regulating factors.

I understand the difference at operating temp is minimal, however, I can tell huge difference on the time taken for oil temp to warm up to operating temperature after start driving in the morning, it is big difference, I can drive a few kilometer longer before oil temperature reach the normal operating temperature. Of course coolant temperature difference is less pronounced due to thermostat working to regulate.
The route I take to send my kid to school is same every day, with relatively constant amnbient temperature, and the only change is just the additive change.
I am still measuring mpg currently, but it is still not completed.

I also notice instant consumption meter difference when I use 5w-30 and 0w-20 which somehow the engine stays at around 5l/100 km range more often compared to 5w-30 for the same style of driving.

In the past, I have observed similar symptom with Liquimoly MoS2 additive, and my coolant temperature stay cooler a few degrees.
However this round the test car is new car, I did not put MoS2 that was recommended by Liqui Moly for older engine.
I would like the effect of Lubegard Engine Protectant to smoothen the engine, however not really satisfied with the effect durability, that seems struggling to maintain for 10K OCI.

A difference of 1-3 is likely within the margin of error for your measuring device, and certainly can be whitewashed due to atmospheric conditions. But, if Molygen makes you believe that a couple degrees is going to make some magic in your life, it's your money. Glad you like it.
thumbsup2.gif

OK, time for a quote storm:
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.
"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence" -David Hume
"No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavors to establish." - also David Hume
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof." - Marcello Truzzi

Look, what you've claimed here is anecdotal evidence and we both know that an anecdote is not data.
Your claim may be true, but it is definitely irrelevant within the framework of provability and reproducibility.

If you'd like to go there, I would ask you a few questions similar but not limited to the following:
How did you control for sample uncertainty, experimental uncertainty, and measurement uncertainty?
What do your calibration curves for your data gathering instruments look like? What methodology was used and what is your justification for your calibration methods?
How large is your data set?
Were there any data points that were identified as 'fliers' that should be considered for elimination from the analysis? If so, please show that data and discuss how these data were identified and labeled and what is the justification for excluding them from the analysis?
Does your dataset exhibit normality? is there another distribution model that is more appropriate?
What is your data mean and standard deviation?
Please describe the confidence interval of your analysis and describe how you arrived at that conclusion.
What environmental factors did you identify before beginning your experiment and how did you control for them?
Were there any contributing factors that we not identified before the test began but were later discovered to have credible input?

We could go on and on...

The long and short of it is what you're claiming here is an extraordinary result and therefore requires extraordinary evidence that your claim is, in fact true.
Anything else is internet message board fodder.

Looking forward to your response!

There is some error in your methods. It is snake oil and does nothing useful. If anything you want the opposite, for the oil temp to rise to an optimal temperature quickly then your cooling system keeps it in the optimal range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dave9
There is some error in your methods. It is snake oil and does nothing useful. If anything you want the opposite, for the oil temp to rise to an optimal temperature quickly then your cooling system keeps it in the optimal range.

Actually it is true that using 0w20 let the engine reach operating temperature faster than 0w30 based on my observation, however the reduced friction also let the engine slower on reaching the normal temperature.

Too bad...not many people understand the simple physics
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
A difference of 1-3 is likely within the margin of error for your measuring device, and certainly can be whitewashed due to atmospheric conditions. But, if Molygen makes you believe that a couple degrees is going to make some magic in your life, it's your money. Glad you like it.
thumbsup2.gif

It is true that small difference can be margin of error, but that exactly what I learnt from my new car. It comes with digital oil temp gauge from manufacturer, that is why I notice the temperature on various driving pattern start from breaking in.
During breaking in, the engine oil temperature is reaching higher temperature during driving at noon, and once hit 103-105 C it will stay there and never drop the temperature.
Interestingly after oil change, either with 0w20 and 5w30 it seldom exceed 100 C, and sometimes when the stop and go traffic happen, it may reach 102 C but only for short moment and will drop to 100-101C when the traffic start moving.

So when the meter is right in front of me, then I start observing some pattern.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

Actually it is true that using 0w20 let the engine reach operating temperature faster than 0w30 based on my observation, however the reduced friction also let the engine slower on reaching the normal temperature.

grin.gif

Ambient temperature, run time, and driving conditions being equal, how much faster does 0W20 reach operating temperature vs. 0W30? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

grin.gif

Ambient temperature, run time, and driving conditions being equal, how much faster does 0W20 reach operating temperature vs. 0W30? Thanks.

Sorry there was typo on my post earlier, I compared 0w20 and 5w30.
The dealer is using Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5w30, and I do not like it due to mpg hit and slower engine response, so I change with Mobil 1 EP 0w20 as recommended on owner manual.
The difference on warming up is not that much because my starting ambient temperature is around 30C, it is just about 2-3 minutes driving difference.

The interesting part is after adding Lubegard or Molygen additive, the oil temperature will not hit 99C for much longer time.

Some digging on WS2 vs MoS2
Seems promising, i just notice I can drive about half an hour and the oil temp will remain at 93-95 C. So seems the additive is much more effective than old Motor protect. Will still need to evaluate during full OCI and my second tank mileage.

ws2 vs mos2

Some digging on WS2 vs MoS2
Seems promising, i just notice I can drive about half an hour and the oil temp will remain at 93-95 C. So seems the additive is much more effective than old Motor protect. Will still need to evaluate during full OCI and my second tank mileage.

ws2 vs mos2

I fooled around with WS2 for coating bullets, which it works very well. It doesn't stay in suspension in oil that well, which according to my supplier of WS2 is why it never took off as an oil additive. It might be OK in something that is driven everyday, but in vehicles that sit a day or more the general consensus at the time I asked them was not to use it as an oil additive.

Thank you demarpaint, this getting interesting. i believe the tungsten used may not be on ws2 form due to there is no shake the bottle instruction like their LM MoS2 additive.

However the green tinge reminds me on MoS2 comment on out of suspension from one popular member that uploaded the photo again recently. But of course I never verify if he ever used Tungsten based additive before. Just wondering if LM used Tungsten in the form like MoDtc on this Molygen Motor Protect, which explain low ash formula.

Thank you demarpaint, this getting interesting. i believe the tungsten used may not be on ws2 form due to there is no shake the bottle instruction like their LM MoS2 additive.

However the green tinge reminds me on MoS2 comment on out of suspension from one popular member that uploaded the photo again recently. But of course I never verify if he ever used Tungsten based additive before. Just wondering if LM used Tungsten in the form like MoDtc on this Molygen Motor Protect, which explain low ash formula.

That is possible, I use the nano powder form for coating bullets. Perhaps they are using something different. Trav had posted pictures of LM MoS2 falling out of suspension and collecting in his oil pan. I recall seeing other pictures like his as well from vehicles that weren't driven daily. Those pictures and my conversation with the maker of the product was all I needed to scrap the idea totally.

After dealership oil change, car always had more nvh. 0w30. Acea c2
But this time it was better, likely because 2021 I used eurol organometallic tungsten additive. (AN)
IMHO a fraction of it left on metal surface even after oil change.
Today gonna pour this lm green goo, let's see.
Seems being based on esters and much more tungsten content.

Back