ROBIN SUBARU ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is planing to purchase the following Harbor Freight generator: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90300
I generally shy away from HF electrical items, but this one has a Robin Subaru electric start engine. What is the general consensus of Robin? Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this generator? Daddy is a vigorous 87 and the elec. start will be a bonus. His power needs are not too great - a freezer and two refrigerators, a couple of lights and TV. No A/C nor cooking/heating. Any comments, observations or suggestions?

Looks like a nice unit. Robin Subaru engines are very good units. The generator portion looks like a Lincoln Electric unit, made in Cleveland, Ohio.

I have 2 Robin/Subaru powered units. An 11HP generator and a 7.5HP mulcher.

The generator has performed flawlessly and is very smooth running. The engine must have a balance shaft or device as there is no vibration whatsoever. I used the gen quite a bit (1 year) during construction of my house and for the first few weeks before we had powerlines and also during the power outage of Hurricane Frances here in Florida. I have nothing but praise for the 11HP Robin engine. The gen seems to have more power than my neighbors brand X unit of greater specification.

The 7.5HP Robin engine I have on the mulcher is a side valve unit and it also is a very nice running unit. It does not have many hours on it, so I cannot say what the life span will be.

Chris

I'm hoping somebody with experience with *both* Robin/Subaru and Honda can tell me how they compare. I find it hard to believe that any other company can build a 4 stroke small engine as well as Honda can. It's true that Kawasaki makes some pretty nice middle-size units (15+ HP), too, but I bet they aren't as nice as the Hondas.

thiggy, try searching this subforum using the word "Robin" and/or Subaru. You'll find a thread (or two) which has come up before.

--- Bror Jace

I have experience with both. I do prefer the 11HP Robin to the Honda, mainly due to the price. However I really like the 13HP Honda engine and the 5.5HP Honda engine as they are good engines also. Once you are in this league of engine, it really does not matter. They all have an EPA rating of "A" or 1000+ hours. They will last a very long time and are easy to maintain. The quality is head and shoulders above the B+S and Tecumseh engines.

Chris

Oops, I forgot to add, the Kawasaki commercial engines are better than the Honda's, period. Local lawn companies demand Kawasaki due to the very long life.

Chris

Lawn care Co. do not prefer Kawi. over Honda for the life!!

Its because Honda 20+ hp engines are not as powerful as the Kawi.'s. And Honda does not have the varity of engines in the 20+ hp range that Kawi. or Kohler does!

I stand by my statement about Kawi engines. Honda is not the only company to make the best qualtiy engines. Sure Honda stuff is generally great. However I had to return 2 Honda powered waterpumps due to crankcase cracking, and those in the motorcycle (dirt bike) world have seen similar cracks in Honda engines. In particular the Honda CR250f cylinder skirt cracking and CR450f case cracking, both of which result in major engine damage.

Kawasaki powered pumps function perfectly in my application. The Honda ones did not. Kawasaki powered lawn equipment is used by many pro's here and there is a reason, reliability. HP is clearly not the issue, as the 18HP Kawi really makes 17! I talk with many of the pro's on a regular basis. They all claim reliability is the reason for the Kawi choice. I even asked again just to make sure!

Please be aware that companies such as Honda and Kawasaki have a few products that fail early, and they generally make corrections to the production line when necessary. Most commercial products are excellent quality from either company and I would consider either.

Originally posted by Cujet:
HP is clearly not the issue, as the 18HP Kawi really makes 17!

Then how much power does the 17hp Kawi make?
confused.gif

Sorry for getting off topic!

I just finished running the Robin powered generator for hurricane #2. The Robin enigne functioned just fine with Mobil 1 oil changes every 2 days. I ran it day and night here at my house for a number of days, then after my power came back on, I used it at my dad's house day and night. This thing just keeps going. The generator alternator broke twice, yet the engine never let me down. It stlll runs perfectly and uses no oil. Another thing, nearly all of my neighbors have generators also, many of whom have had engine failures. The fact is we were without power for weeks at a time ,,,, twice! That is just too much load for a Briggs enigne to hold up to.

I will be purchasing a new generator head for my genny. The Robin enigne is that good!

Chris

Alot of the Robin small engines are sourced from Kubota, which makes a very good engine as well. Their larger twin cylinder engines they make, they are also sold under the Onan name too. Any of there engines are very good engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back