Amsoil 2 stroke Inteceptor oil...a good choice or not for Echo or Stilhl saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Echo chain saw a Echo weed wacker and Stihl chain saw. Have been using Valvoline two stroke high performance motorcyle oil at 50:1 ratio with Sunoco 94 ultra gasoline. I have been using this combo for the past three years with no problems. I have been on the Amsoil website and seen their two stroke Interceptor oil. I was wondering if this would be a good upgrade in oil quality or the Mobil 1 MX2T two stroke motorcycle oil. Thanks.

Go with the Echo synthetic blend 2-cycle oil. I have a piece of junk Ryobie weed wacker that is thirteen years old and the only 2-cycle oil that's been in it is the Echo. It will start in 1 or 2 pulls even after it sits all winter. This product is available at all Home Depot stores for a dollar forty-nine bottle which makes 2 and a half gallons. It also contains a fuel stabilizer so you have no problems with winter storage. You don't need 94 octane with this 2-cycle mix, 87 will work fine. Don't be fooled by expencive full synthetic 2-cycle oil, you don't need to spend that kind of money for those products that will not give you an increase in performance over the Echo 2-cycle oil.

The Echo and Stihl owners manuals both say to " use at least a minimum of 89 octane". In the Stihl manual it says "if the mid grade in your area is below 89 octane use premium fuel". So I figured I will just run premium all the time.

Per the AMSOIL recommendations, first choice would be Saber Professional 100:1 Premix.
Dominator is Very Good, Interceptor is Good.

I have seen, but do not have a copy of, a report put out the the University of Pennsylvania recommending the use of premium gas in two cycle equipment.

quote:

Originally posted by fatrat540:
The Echo and Stihl owners manuals both say to " use at least a minimum of 89 octane". In the Stihl manual it says "if the mid grade in your area is below 89 octane use premium fuel". So I figured I will just run premium all the time.

What! And disagree with THE OIL EXPERT!
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by fatrat540:

It would be best to stay right at 89. Going higher will only give you less power, and even a little bit is significant when the engine only has 1hp to begin with...
smile.gif

Why is premium recommended for 2-cylce lawn equipment engines? I didn't think that detonation was an issue with these engines.

OPE 2 cycle engines run with high cylinder temps and varying loads, situations in which premium gas is a benefit. Echo also recommends premium gas due to the additional deposit control additives.

The Echo Power Blend 2 cycle oil is a polybutene/dino blend, a good oil, & we’ve discussed it previously on this board.

MX2T @ $3.49 for the 16 oz bottle does not meet the definition of expensive. This is about $0.70 per mixed gallon, probably less than what you would pay for a 2.6 oz bottle of Stihl.

IMHO, a Amsoil Saber 2 cycle oil is the latest formulation for air cooled engines and is a better choice for OPE.

Sorry for not being clear, I was referring to Amsoil Saber being a better choice for OPE than the Amsoil Interceptor.

fatrat540,

I am running the Mobil 1 MX2T in my Echo weed trimmer and old inherited Craftsman blower. It does not smoke, cranks easily, and revs up quick. Use it with the 89 octane recommended in the manual. The stuff is easy to find at your local parts store in pint bottles.

I've been running Amsoil Interceptor at 32:1 in my Husky saws (also and old Poulan and Pioneer). I use 91 octane and have been happy with the saws performance. I usually use 91 octane in just about everything and cannot say I have noticed any power loss over using regular or mid grade fuels. Every once and a while I end up using a different grade or brand of fuel and cannot say they performed any better than the 91 I usually use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back