I never changed the oil in my Honda lawn mower in 11 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eleven years ago I bought a used Honda lawn mower that the oringinal owner had for two years(went to a bigger model). He only changed the motor oil once when he had it. I only add oil when it needs it. I use Napa single HD 30 weight. It has been used four to six times a month for the last eleven years. I mow one acre property(keeps my weight down). Honda builds a heck of a motor. I was thinking of changing the oil at end of season. Thinking of using Mobil 1...think it is worth it? Or just keep using the .99 cent Napa stuff?
cheers.gif

I put Mobil 1 in our Toro lawn mower about 7-8 years ago, and haven't changed it ever again. Oil looks not even dark, and the motor hardly, if at all burns any oil. It gets used quite a lot as well.
dunno.gif

ir you're adding a little oil, it's using a little somewhere. sounds like it has been a wonderful mower though. i have a 97' honda with the 5.0 ohv motor. gets used about 5 times per week from april~october. it dosn't seem to use anyoil at all period. manual says to use a 10-30 oil. after the first 5 hrs or so of use, i begain to use mobil 1. changed at the begining and midway through the season. i currently use the amsoil 10-30. this mower has been good to ya, at least stick with the nappa...aka valvoline, 30 hd and go ahead and do a complete change, at least yearly. good luck.

fatrat540, the Honda engines will put up with abuse ... but I still don't think it's right to abuse them.

You'll get more power, less smoke and they'll start better if taken care of so I give mine yearly (OK, maybe 18 month) oil changes and clean the air filter (that foam band pre-cleaner) at least once each year.

Still, the engine will probably outlast some other critical components on the mower.

--- Bror Jace

I would see what happens with this new plug before getting too worried. A small low compression/low performance engine like that shouldn't detonate unless your ignition timing is way off or you have a major buildup of carbon.

At .99/qt, or even at $5/qt for M1, this shouldn't be an issue of economics. For that reason, I don't see why you wouldn't change the oil. Air cooled motors run higher oil temperatures than water cooled, so unless the engine is using a lot of oil, whatever's in there is probably in pretty tough shape. I don't think you could go wrong with the Napa 30 weight changed at the end of each season. The M1 would be gravy.

Pity the poor engine!

Any oil, $0.88 a quart Wally World to $12.00 a quart boutique oil would be better than what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
what about never changing the air filter? what's worse not changing the air filter or not changing the oil?

My Honda finally got a new air filter at the beginning of the season this year. First new filter it had in the first six years of it's life. To be honest, it really didn't need one, but the guilt compelled me.

what about never changing the air filter? what's worse not changing the air filter or not changing the oil?

Do you know how to change an air filter on a 22 year old lawnmower?

I change the oil twice a year (every 25 hours) on my Honda lawnmower. Changing the oil in these mowers is so easy and they only take ~12oz.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Rinse in dish soap, then clean water and re-soak it in 30 weight oil?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jhellwig

Maybe the op would have found that info handy 11 years ago.

I love thread necromancy!

I also don't remember the last time I changed the oil in my six year old mower. I changed it once or twice when it was new, I think.
crackmeup2.gif

There is a jug of T6 in the garden shed for top ups. The machine performs fine. Maybe I'll change it this weekend just for grins.

I use M1 10-30 in all my OPE. I had a Honda walk behind mower that was 22 years old when I gave it away(still ran well)and used M1 10-30 in it as well. Oil always stayed clean as I changed it annually.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Foam gets cleaned and oiled. You don't oil a paper filter or clean it in water.

Most of the commercial guys I know do the same. You don't gain any life changing the oil in the Honda's anymore, the rest of the mower is shot long before the engine gives up.

So one acre a use (3 hours a use maybe?), time 4-6 times a month, times 6-7 months per year, times 11 years.

3*4*6*11 = 792hours and it's stick kicking on topped up oil only.

Not too shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back