How Often to change Mower Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change mine once a year at the end of the mowing season. This is on a murrey push mower I bought new in 1992 with the Tecumseh engine. Oil is still clear at the end of the season and the engine still runs like new. I use any dino 30wt.

Wayne

i have a B&S 4.5hp

what is the best way to change the oil in a push mower? should i build a makeshift ramp? leave it to drain for a couple of hours? pour some oil through the top to flush the oil out?

any advice would be great.

I just prop mine up on a couple of lawn chairs and drain it 'till it drips slowly. I try not to put too much thought into the mower. Those engines will last forever, anyway.

yeah, i was leaning towards that direction
smile.gif

i don't have my model number with me, but is it safe to say that most of the 4-6HP b&s engines use the same spark plug?

[ June 30, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
Most use the Champion RJ19LM plug I believe.

Not saying you're wrong, but I'd definitely check the owners manual.
With the "newer" engines out, (OHV etc), some may not use the old "standard" plugs.
There is also an (R?)J17LM plug used on a lot of engines.
If you don't have a manual, you can download one from the Briggs site.
Better to be safe than....

The 6.5 intek on my lawnmower uses the same plug as my Jeep.
smile.gif
Don't remember the part number, but it's alot larger than older style plugs.

For spark plug questions, I've found www.sparkplugs.com to be an excellent resource. They sell many popular brands, and have cross references for just about all major brands.

For instance, my '03 Honda GCV160 takes an NGK BPR6ES plug. Check out all the wild and varying applications for that plug!

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=bpr6es

[ July 01, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Jason Adcock ]

I purchased some walmart HD30 to use in my lawnmowers w/B&S engines.

It seems thinner than I rememeber. Am I going crazy or did I pick the wrong oil?

The 1/2 qt. of B&S oil that came with the mower seemed thicker.

Maybe I'm crazy. Should I even worry? Walmart straight 30 is a decent brand right?

changing the oil in a mower at all is a good idea, the supertech stuff is alot better than no oil changes at all.

With our lawn equipment I change it twice a year. Before I put the lawn equipment in the garage for the winter, I change it with some diesel oil, whatever I have on hand. Also when I winterize the lawn equipment, I pour some stabil gas treatment in with a full tank of 87 unleaded.

Then when the spring mowing season comes along, I change it to some 30w castrol or whatever decent brand I see.

I change the three dollar air filter and the 89 cent spark plug once a year.

With maintenance like this the motor will outlast the rest of the mower thats for sure.

I only change mine every two years on even numbered years. Probably runs an hour or so every 10 days on average from April to Nov.

I have a pre-lube oil system on my 25 hp mower. I pump up the oil presure before cold start and I use it to change the oil every 25 hours. I also installed a remoter oil filter so the filter hangs straight down to facilitate an easier filter change. I quess every one here would think this is a lot of over kill. I also run Synergyn oil in the hydro system and in the engine.

"I quess every one here would think this is a lot of over kill."

Nope, it is very "BITOGish"
grin.gif

You'll fit in well here.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I have been using a 5 hp B&S quantum push mower for 11 yrs now. after first season changed factory fill oil to amsoil 20w50, finnaly changed it out last yr since the oil turned a nice dark amber color. The engine runs like a champ and doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 2-3 pumps starts on first pull. not bad for a $150 mower.
constant rpm is the easiest on a engine.

Hey Lawn Ranger: Congratulations on your pre-luber
cheers.gif
. True BITOG-ness in action. However, as crazy
freak2.gif
as I can be about things, I ain't gonna worry about my v-twin B&S. It's so understressed that I can depress the valves with my bare fingers. I just prime the oil system by cranking it for a count of six with the choke in, then yank the choke out to let it start.

[ July 31, 2004, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: olddognewtrks ]

The main reason I put a pre-luber on was to change the oil. Changing the oil on mowers is the worst part of maintenance I think. I just drive one wheel up on a small ramp and connect my hose via a quick disconnect and flip a switch. Presto, oil's out in under a minute. The best part is the oil filter that hangs straight down. No more spilling and getting oil everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back