What do you think of Opti-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Redmax EB7001 backpack blower. I've heard a lot about Opti-2 and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it. Thanks.

I wouldn't use Opti-2 at the recommended ratio of 100:1. I tried mixing it at 40:1 and all I got was too much smoke, a fouled spark plug and drooling exhaust. I only run Mobil-1 MX2T mixed at 40:1 in all of my air cooled 2 cycle equipment. It really burns clean and is available locally at Autozone for about $3.50 a pint. MX2T is JASO FC and ISO-L-EGD certified.

Buzzsaw

Thanks for the reply. How long have you been using Mobil-1 MX2T? Why 40:1? The recommended ratio for my blower is 50:1. Do you think I should run at the richer 40:1? Opti-2's website says it rated ISO-EG-D+ is this different than ISO-L-EGD? Sorry for all the questions but this is my 1st 2-stroke machine and I want to treat it right.

Arbee, the reason I use a 40:1 mix is that i have some equipment that calls for that ratio. I did not like mixing two different ratios, so I tried the MX2T at 40:1. With a carburetor adjusted correctly I did not get any smoke at that ratio. I figured a little more oil wouldn't hurt so I stayed with 40:1 even with my equipment that calls for 50:1. I have been using the MX2T for about a year now because it is much cheaper than the Echo Power Blend and Husqvarna XP oils that are readily available around here. It is about half as expensive and I think that it is a better oil. You stated that you have a Red Max EB7001 (I have only seen the EB7000 model)blower. They are about $500 around here. With proper maintinence, It will last you the rest of your life unless you use it commercially. If Red Max calls for a 50:1 ratio run that ratio, but You won't hurt it running it at 40:1 with the MX2T.

Getting back on the topic of Opti-2. There is no way I would run anything at 100:1 ratio that was designed to run at 50:1. What is the purpose of running half the amount oil in the gas?

I saw where you asked about Opti's ISO-EGD+ certification. I Googles that and all I could find is the infornation on Opti. As far as I know ISO-L-EGD is the current spec for low smoke air cooled 2-stroke oils.

I also found this info when I googled ISO-L-EGD:

The Internation Standards Orginization (ISO) has developed standards for rating various 2-stroke engine oils. ISO standards begin at LEG A for the lowest rating certification and got to LEG D for the highest rating certification. The Japanese automotive Standards Organization (JASO) is also responsible for rating 2-Stroke oils. JASO standards start at FA for the lowest rating and go to FC for the hightest rating. Oils with higher ratings contain higher percentages of oil additive packages. It is the additives in the oil and not the base oil that provides engine protection.
Today engines require oils with better lubricating properties, better deposit control, and higher thermal stability. The base oil itself will need to perform better at higher tempertures . Dues to the higher production cost very few manufactures or aftermarket oil blenders supply HI-RPM air cooled engine oils that meet both ISO - LEG D and JASO -FC requirements.

I hope this helped arbee.

Arbee, any quality 2 stroke oil will work for your redmax blower. I would go with the 50:1 ratio. Opti-2 has a good rep. I have an oil that i prefer to use because i have had good results with it. You can find lots of posts on 2 cycle oils here. Look at the posts on echo 2 cycle oil.

I have been running 50:1 ratio on my echo 2601 trimmers for over 3 years now, commercial use. these timmers have been run hard and shut down without a rest period. Old school oil ratios would have resulted in sticky rings and poor performance. I cant argue with results. old school oil and ratios would have caused down time and carbon issues. i havent had any carbon or power problem issues with 50:1 mix.The engines today are nor spec'd to 1960-70 design. My trimmers have way more hours than any residential user would ever put on them. Never had one exaust screen clogged from carbon due to orergon oil. Cant gripe about lubricity issues because the rings are free and the engines still run top speed. Yeah dad thought a 2 stroke should smoke but today its different. Buy some oregon 2 cycle oil and you will have no problems at 50:1 mix.

[ March 07, 2004, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: greasezerk ]

Buzzsaw & greasezerk - thank you both for all the feed back. I'll probably go with Mobil-1 MX2T as there is an Autozone about 5 miles from here.

I got a few more questions if you don't mind. I also ordered a Lawnboy with the 2-cycle duraforce engine. Lawnboy recommends 32:1 ratio. Would it be OK to run the Lawnboy at 50:1? Should I run both at 40:1 or 32:1? If I run my blower at 40:1 or 32:1 would it need a carb adjustment? Or should I just run both at the recommended ratios. Just curious if I can use 1 mix for both.

Thanks
Ron

Arbee - Welcome to the BITOG forum. Here is a previous thread on mix ratio options for Lawnboys.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000145

A real grab bag of opinions. My advice would be to run the dealer recommended Lawnboy oil, hopefully it is Generation II & not the dreaded green can, for a couple of hours. This will satisfy all the warranty requirements & get you familar with the engine rpm's, any smoke & how it loads up when in tall grass.

Then switch to MX2T at 32:1 & note the RPM's and the exhaust. MX2T certainly will exceed any of the Lawnboy Generation II (Citgo dino) performance data.

Initially, for a break-in period, my thoughts are to proceed slowly. Lawnboy just made porting revisions to the Duraforce 2 cycle engine line to clean up emissions for the EPA. Probably not alot of "run history" exists for this new mod.

I'm really surprised that the mix ratio was not leaned out to at least 40:1. But these engines typically run hot during the heat of the summer and some issue may exist with ring seal or getting lubrication to the bearings.

Mike

Blue99

Lawnboy says their oil is ashless. Are MX2T or other 2 stroke oils also ashless. If not, are there any dangers in using an oil that is not ashless? Also, the Lawnboy website shows the oil in a green can(dreaded).

Thanks
Ron

Lawnboy oil has been nicknamed blue death by the lawncare crowd for good reason. Dont waste your money on it or Opti for that matter. Run mx2t in it at 32:1 from new and never look back.

BTW its assinine to have epa influenced oil ratios used in these circa 1960 technology, aircooled OPE motors. Stick with a good syn oil(mx2t is superb)@ 32:1 and enjoy less carbon deposits, lonmger engine life when compared to dino oils.

Arbee - The terms ashless & low ash refer to the detergent additive used in the oil.

2 cycle TCW-3 oils for water cooled engines (outboards) operating at 300F combustion temps use ashless oils.

Air cooled 2 cycles operating at 400F cylinder temps use what is termed a low ash oil.

And, no, I don't have an answer for the next question, "Why is Lawnboy oil ashless & used in an air cooled engine?"

I tried the Opti-2 in my gas ice auger and ended up dumping it out. It looked like it didn't mix up correctly in the can. It looked like it gobbed up and seperated or something. I didn't like the looks so I dumped it. I had a friend use it and he ended up burning up his auger. I told him to check the gas in his can and it looked similar to the way mine looked. I can't say for sure that the oil caused the problem, but I didn't like the looks of it.

It was winter in MN, so anywhere from -20 to 20. It was cold. All I know is I am done using it.

This may be a problem with Opti-2. The base lube that serves as a carrier for the Eutectic (mumbo jumbo) additives may not have a low pour point & has trouble mixing with very cold gasoline.

Based on the outside air temp, what do you think was the temp of the gas in your can?

I have used I think most of the OTC 2 cycle oils and even tho Blano is pretty argumentative at times, he seems to know 2 cycle power plants extremely well and the MX2T is great oil. I use it at 40:1 in everything. I have used Opti-2 for about 7 years but have seen nothing great about it. If left idling the engine still will foul plugs and drool.
THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH THE MOBIL PRODUCT. IT RUNS CLEAN AND HAS A GREAT DISTINTIVE SMELL!
I know my view does not address wear experienced by the engine itself but it does what the others claim to do, but better. It burns clean with no smoke and no plug fouling. I have to hope the wear factor is good as I have no way to gauge that. Just my 2 cents
GregH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back