Lawnmower converted into an air compressor - what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old 3.5hp briggs lanwmower engine that is missing the carburetor. I'm going to convert it into an air compressor using a 1hp electric motor I have and some check valves. What oil should I use for this? Straight 30 weight? Hiw many hours do you think I should let it go before I change it?

I would use a non detergent 30wt, I once made a air compressor using a 3.5 briggs, What I did is modify the cam shaft so there are two compression strokes in 4 cycles instead of just one. I ground off the exhaust cam lobe and welding and ground a new one 90 degrees advanced. so basically you have two intake ports. I put the check valve on the sparkplug hole

cool discussion. i had been planning on doing this myself. where can one buy high flow quick acting 1 way valves though? perhaps a pcv valve out of a large automobile? could they take the pressure?

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
Looks like they only sell those valves to companies. Does anyone know of another place to get them?

Just make up a company...they'll sell them to you.
grin.gif

Find a buddy, who works in a construction or mechanical trade. His employer will probably have a grainger account. I buy from grainger all the time using my employer's account.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back