Where to purchase lawn tractor oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks,

I'm trying to purchase an oil filter for my MTD lawn tractor.

It's got a Tecumseh 16OVH engine and I can't find a **** filter for it anywhere.

Does anyone have an recommendations for where I can go online to get some filters, etc??

Gerhard

So how important is a recommended cross over? OK, there are 2 common thread sizes, some variation on gasket height and diameter. Virtually everything has an ADBV whether you need it or not. Chances are any auto filter has enough media for flow unless the can is orange. That leaves bypass. Except for AC, most filters have a bypass that will protect the filter even if it isn't exactly what Tecumseh wanted. Go to Wal-Mart and go through the ST's until you find one that measures the same.

I use a Supertech 3682 on my 17Hp Tecumseh...Works great, and $2.00. It is about 1/12, 2 inches longer than the Tecumseh filter, which, BTW is also a Champion Lab filter..

Tke number off current filter and get it cross referenced. I used the Kohler filter on mine and went to WIX website and they have a cross reference there.

The problem is that I can't find ANY of the cross referenced filters in the part of NJ that I live.

It's plain old weird!

gerhardb, I think the best thing to do is gather all the info on your engine including the make, model, serial number ... heck, even the date of manufacture if you've got it ... and visit your closest NAPA store. Let THEM cross-reference the filter for you.

The filters they sell there are WIX-made and very good, even their cheaper "silver" line.

Then, once you have the part number you can go elsewhere and buy any brand you want .... even the Wal-Mart Supertech line.

--- Bror Jace

BTW, teh Stupertech I am using was cross referenced on the wix site ( I had to hunt the internet to find it)to a Wix, then from a Wix to a Fram# for the Stupertech Number.

Tim H.

I checked out that super tech filter an it doesn't have a by-pass valve...

I did find out the the Hastings LF302 is the same as the Techumseh filter on the tractor... so they referenced it over to a Car Quest 85056.

then it appears my original Tecumseh didn't have one either...the carquest refs out to a Stupertech 8172...(fram# ph8172)

[ November 26, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Tim H. ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back