Rider Gearbox Oil Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 17hp Murray Rider that I have had for about 6 years, I am thinking about replacing the transmission gearbox oil, but cannot find a drain plug, are these one of them sealed-for-life jobs? or am I missing something?

I would like to know this too. I have a Husq with the hydrostatic trans and would like to know how or if you need to service them. Also, what fluid is used in these types of transaxles?

bump...again.
smile.gif

I cut about 2 1/2 acres with a LOT of trees and 10-15 degree slope areas. I figure lots of stress and abuse with tight circling around trees and occasional scrabbling for traction (similar to light wheel hop with a drag car). So, I want the best lube in there, and will do what's necessary to change it out, if only to flush out old wear metals. It's a six speed Peerless manual on a four year old Craftsman(Sears) and 18.5 hp Briggs V-twin. There is a single fill hole, and the manual specs 80w-90. Any suggestions?

Your engine and transaxle will outlast your mower deck. You probably have a peerless 820 or 4360 transaxle which are stout. On dirt or grass your tires are what will wear more than the transaxle. When your deck bearings and pulleys wear out you will cuss that mower because you wont be able to get it to cut right again after you put on new parts. I have spent hours helping neighbors repair their mowers. I own a lawn care bis so that makes me the "lawnmower repair guy" in the neighborhood. One company makes most of the riders that you get at wal-mart, pennys, sears and under the husqvarna,murray and a few other brands. Unless you run your mower into a pond you dont need to change the fluid. You mow a good size lot so maybe consider a 48" walk behind and a sulky to mow with. You will mow it faster and it will look much better with a commercial mower.

I tend to think greazejerk is right ...

... but I still hate the dumbed-down-ness of fill-for-life gear units. Just becuase the unti will most likely survive doesn't mean we can't do better.
tongue.gif

Our John Deere 1032 snowblower has a gearbox in the auger and it has a fill hole but no drain hole. It's 20 years old and that oil takes on a nasty, pasty appearance after 4-5 years of use and storage.

I suppose I could loosen a few of the bolts on the case, knock it apart and have the oil drip out but this would most likely ruin the gasket in there.

So ...

I drain all of the fuel and motor oil out of the beast and tip the entire machine completely upside down to drain the 4oz. of gear oil out of the tiny gear box.

Extreme? Perhaps. But I think of it as a BITOG type of thing to do.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks cryptokid, my meager fan club can use all the members it gets.
wink.gif

Greasezerk, sorry. I didn’t mean to mangle your name. I simply wrote it the way I remembered it.
blush.gif

Re-reading this thread, I see that no one answered drm7’s question.

Personally, I can’t imagine a hydrostatic tranny having a lifetime fill. My Honda recommends changing after 5 years or 500 hours and they recommend (no drum roll needed) Honda HST hydromatic fluid.
rolleyes.gif

Drain plug was easy to see (in an obvious place). Stuff came out a light grey color. New stuff went in looking perfectly clear … like baby oil.

Hydrostatic fluid is specific to that application. Might have to go to NAPA or some other specialty stores. Explore your user’s manual to get all the specs first. You don’t[/] want to dump the wrong fluid in there.

--- Bror Jace

Error jace , its ok man i know. Tim h. indicates that he wants to change oil in the gearbox/tranny so i think he doesnt have a hydro unit on his mower. The fluid can be changed but he will have to open the case on the unit and that can be a panadoras box situation or he could flip it over and drain it from the fill plug. Maybe he can get a tube in the hole and pump it out. Bror a hydro unit is a different animal. Yes i would change fluid at 500 hours on a hydro or earlier. The gearbox/trandaxle setup is using a different system for moving the machine.Sort of like comparing a manual tranny with an auto. I have been known to change fluids "just because they might need it." For everyone here do yourself a favor, buy a more expensive commercial mower and you will love it. They will last you for many years and they have drain plugs on everything.

Nope, no Hydro, my mower is 7 years old. and has the standard 6 speed manual shift tranny. I just can't see any kind of drain plug (or fill, for that matter), and hate teh thought of running that long on it without some kind of fluid change ( been BITOG'ed too long, I guess!).

Bror Jace; regarding your turning your snowblower upside down
cheers.gif
...my plan/scheme/insanity streak was to attach a rope to the back hitch of my riding mower and stand it up on its nose. The fill/drain plug is in the front of the transaxle. Only problem is keeping 400 pounds of machinery balanced and secured while doing this. Figured it's faster than pulling the transaxle. Of course, if I crash it
shocked.gif
my wife will kill me, so I'm only thinking about it for now. Do I get a BITOG gold star anyway?

labman: Thanks hugely for the solution. Guess I'm getting too creative in my old age. I've even got an old fashioned Ace Hardware here in town with everything in the world in stock.
smile.gif

olddog, if you actually looked around the garage for bits and pieces of stuff which would steady the mower while inverted, you’d get a “Gold Star” … if BITOG awarded such things.
wink.gif
But if the idea merely flashed into your head for a second before you dismissed it, no dice.
tongue.gif

“I think I would drill a drain plug.”

Now THAT is a BITOG “Gold Star” idea!
grin.gif

For the sort-of-obsessive-compulsive types, a drill pump and tubing is probably the way to go. You’d also be able to use the contraption for other pumping uses around the garage.

** BUT check with the manufacturer before you use it to empty a gas tank. Certain pumps are no-nos when it comes to transferring gasoline.
nono.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror Jace: I have to be completely nuts
rolleyes.gif
to even keep this thing going, but......How about we all start a Gold Star program for nifty/fanatical/borderline genius-madman ideas? Might be fun, we could all put in a vote, and it costs nothing. At any rate, I want to petition for at least a silver star, cuz it was lots more than just a passing thought. (Like I said, I must be completely nuts...) Anyway, I bought a drill pump and tubing, and intent to back it up on my car ramps to get more of the oil to the drain plug. Gotta go now, they say it's time for my nap.
sleeping.gif

"How about we all start a Gold Star program for nifty/fanatical/borderline genius-madman ideas? Might be fun, we could all put in a vote, and it costs nothing."

If you want something with a high-profile, you'd have to contact the forum administrator(s).

If you just want to have a fun discussion about obsessive ideas, I suggest starting a thread in the Off Topic subsection:

"BITOG Gold Star Hall of Fame"

(or something similar
wink.gif
)

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back