my marvel experiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 2001 Dakota sport 2dr club cab. 4.7L 92000 no rust. Dealer had a fresh oil change when I got it. There was a slight growl at cold start up but went away quickly. Since then I have come to know is the hated 4.7 by some. Sludge and all that stuff. I decided to run some Marvel Mystery Oil for a light flush and do a oil change at 1000. Approaching 1000miles sucked out a quart of oil and added the MMO.At first no change still just the slight growl at cold start. After 50miles the growl is now a tic at cold start up. Still goes away after a min or two then runs quiet.I couldn’t get the oil changed for a day after it started ticking at cold start up so that was about another 50 miles. I got the oil changed today. Conventional 5w30 and a new filter. Started it up and quiet. No growl or ticking. Im going to change at another 1000miles. No MMO this time. So did the MMO work? I don’t know. Will I ever put MMO in my oil again? Not a chance in [censored].

The oil pressure did seem to go up higher than normal on the gauge. Just an idiot gauge. Couldn’t tell the real pressure but it was at the high end of the range. I don’t remember it being that high before.That must have indicated the what looks liked plugged filter. Maybe Ill put it in again. I’m not sure. I guess Ill have a few miles to think about it if I plan to change at a 1000 miles again.

Did you end up using the 10 year old oil filter that you had in the garage for this interval?

Yeah, I put some MMO in a few days before oil change in the Suburban I used to own and it definitely made the engine "tickier" as far as whether or not it cleaned it I don't know.

Last edited:
So there was a growl when you got it with the dealer fill.

Then you put in MMO and the growl lessened.

Then you changed the oil and the noise was gone.

Oh yeah, I would never use that MMO again, as obviously it was the problem and not the solution.

crackmeup2.gif

The marvel didn’t do anything harmful.

Number of cars marvel has destroyed (ever): 0

Number of cars marvel has helped / saved: bunches.

MMO says on the bottle that it is safe to use up to 20% of oil capacity. I used only a pint to thin 20w50 for the winter. Used as you did, it sounds like it may have de-gunked a few lifters. I would use it as you are. I would cut open the filters until you find one that doesn't look horrible.

I didn’t use the 10yr old filter. I haven’t dug into the old filter at all.I just cut it open. I was surprised at the condition with only 1000 miles.
The slight growl at start up might just be a normal sound of this engine. Most people would not even notice it. The ticking started after about 50miles with the MMO in it. The tick was just at cold start up. It went away after about a min or so.Then it was quiet after that. Now that I have the fresh oil in it the tick is gone at startup. Still have a faint growl that goes away quickly. Im just learning the "normal" sounds of this engine.
I usually drive my little Geo tracker soft top in the summer so it might take awhile to get to the 1000 mile mark again.

It's possible that the dealer didn't change the filter, just cleaned off the canister and changed the oil.

I see some black particles from the filter so it was catching some stuff. Ill run it for another 1000 and see whats in there. Maybe MMO again maybe not still thinking. If the valve cover bolts were not so rusty I would take a cover off and see. This 4.7 sure has a lot for timing chains so it likely makes some noise normally.

5 minute motor flush.

Refill with 5 quarts of whatever your favorite is and 1 quart MMO.

Drive for a few thousand miles and repeat. If there is gunk, it will come out.

May even consider a seafoam treatment.

But 4.7s aren't known for sludging when well taken care of, and having three timing chains wont make it sound any different than an engine with two normally.

They are known for (besides every sensor needing to eventually be replaced):

- gunked up PCV valves

- gunked up IAC valve

- gunked up and broken fittings on the other crankcase vent valve (not all 4.7s have this. If your does it will have a line running from the air box to the back of the passenger side valve cover)

- gunked up throttle bodies

Inspect, clean and/or replace those things and see what happens along with your oil changes.

And remember, at the end of the day...

You purchased an 18 year old vehicle, some ticking might just be something you will have to learn to live with.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
So there was a growl when you got it with the dealer fill.

Then you put in MMO and the growl lessened.

Then you changed the oil and the noise was gone.

Oh yeah, I would never use that MMO again, as obviously it was the problem and not the solution.

crackmeup2.gif

The marvel didn’t do anything harmful.

Number of cars marvel has destroyed (ever): 0

Number of cars marvel has helped / saved: bunches.

Agreed. It's funny understanding of cause and effect is frequently proportional to spelling and grammar skills.

Im well aware an old vehicle will have its normal little sounds. I have a Geo Tracker (180,000 miles)with a little piston slap until warm and if you don’t hear a little clicking with the lifters its time to adjust before you burn out a valve.That was a tough lesson. Since Ive only had this dodge a short Im still figuring out the normal sounds. On the Dakota facebook thing those guys just hate the 4.7 and try to scare people into swapping that "junk" engine.

Since I have no previous records on this Dakota Im not sure how it was taken care of. Since it only had 92,000 on it when I got it they sure didn’t drive it a lot.

The MMO had me concerned when a louder tic started after adding it. Now that there is fresh oil in it the loud tic is gone with just a little growl and a slight tic when cold. Could be perfectly normal and cause no issues. Im just a little over sensitive with the new vehicle.

I dont think its sludged,but without taking a valve cover off no easy way to tell. Ill see how the oil looks in a few hundred miles. maybe MMO again in the last hundred or so to the next oil change. Planing on changing in 1000.

Its summer Ill be driving the Tracker with the top down so may be awhile before I get 1000 on the Dakota.

jacob
You took out a quart of oil (5w30) and replaced it with a whole quart of MMO? How much does your crankcase hold?
Wow.... if so, that really thinned your motor oil content.

Its a 6qt system.Still have a slight tic when cold. Kind of a common issue with the Dodge valve lash adjusters. I was hoping I could flush them out and make them work better. Not sure if I will just put up with it. Try to do another mild flush or just replace the stupid things. FYI I have a new set soaking in oil right now but still don't know when or if I will put them in. There is a post on another site where a guy swears by using 0w20 in this engine.He claims Dodge recommends that for the 4.7. Its supposed to help with the lash adjusters. Not sure about that either,but I have a jug of that oil now also.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Seems like the MMO worked?
* +1 ... MMO is not that aggressive and can take a couple thousand miles to slowly clean (rated for 3,000 miles max in the oil I believe ) .

Started it up today. Was going to wait the usual min or so for the tic to fade some. No tic this morning. I still like to wait until the rpms to drop before I take off anyway. I only have about 600 miles on from the last change that had the marvel in it. I put an ounce or so of ATF+4 in it ( another guy swears by it). Maybe the tic is gone now. Maybe not. We will see. Oil looks better this time. I will have to see when I get closer to 1000 on this change. Still not driving it everyday. The Tracker soft top is the summer ride and gets 25mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back