4 Cycle vs. Heavy Duty SAE30

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Personally, I don't trust the manufacters 30 weights.

If I were using a straight weight, I'd go with the 30 weight HD PCMO.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Personally, I don't trust the manufacters 30 weights.

If I were using a straight weight, I'd go with the 30 weight HD PCMO.

MolaKule,

I didn't mean the lawnmower manufacturer, I meant oil manufacturers.
smile.gif

For example, Pennzoil sells both a 4 cycle SAE30 and an HD SAE30. Spec sheets are different and they are worded toward 4 cycle=lawn mowers, HD=cars. Is the 4 cycle 30 preferred, or the HD 30 for my lawnmower? It's a basic B&S 6HP gasoline engine. I did the 1st oil change after 4 months (~8 hrs use) with Briggs & Stratton SAE30 oil.

BTW, what does PCMO stand for?

Thanks.

Is there a difference between these two? I see some of the oil manufacturers carry a "4 cycle" version of their 30 weights for air cooled lawn engines, as well as an HD 30 weight for automobiles. Are these two interchangeable in lawn engines?

Thanks.

PCMO stands for passenger car motor oil. BTW, I misspoke there as well. Most PCMO's are multiviscosity oils. HD's are usualy meant for constant temperature, constant load engines.

Yeah, I thought you were speaking of motor oils that had the engine manufacturers names on them.

I still think 30 weight HD would be better than the Pennzoil straight 30 since HD motor oils are slightly thicker, have more dispersants and detergents, and slightly higher levels of anti-wear additives.

[ August 10, 2003, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Kohler and Tecumseh make a straight 30 wt for their engines. Im sure it is good stuff. Kohler 10/30 oil does get rid of the tick tick that Kohler command engines develope after they get a lot of hours on them. I use a straight 40 wt in the kids go kart as that engine has a rough life, always running full throttle and hard acceleration.
grin.gif
But hey what fun is it to go slow
rolleyes.gif
Pedal to the metal
cheers.gif

I thought the difference between the lawnmower maker's labeled oil and a quart of SJ car oil was:

-- the mower oil bottle holds 20 oz (~2/3 qt)

-- it costs $2.29 instead of $.84

-- it's been on the shelf of Home Depot through the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back