What's best 2 cycle oil (chainsaws, trimmers, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg, A freind is actually sending me some OPti-2 to test. I must say I am pretty suspicious of the product based on Opti's website which is full of slick 50 type psuedo science. As far as the lean mix goes. I am not crazy about it. Although I do not know for sure I would be quite suprised if opti burned cleaner at 70:1 than Mobil did at 32:1. keep in mind in a two cycle motor the less oil you have in the gasoline mix the less detergant you have to clean up deposits. Also warranty issues arise from using less oil than reccomended.

I tried a tank of Opti-2 and dumped it out. I tried using it in an ice auger and it seemed to separate and leave black specs in the gas. I had a friend run it for a winter in his power auger because opti-2 is what the local bait shop sold, and he blew his engine up.
Maybe it is just coincidence, but I would stay away from Opti-2.

I would not use Opti 2 in anything you care about. It has its fans. But I had a ridding buddy that used it in his bike. He stopped using it in under a year. It took many years for him to tell me he seized his bike 2 times on this stuff. He believed the guy selling him the stuff, that it could be ran at 100:1 in a dirt bike. He mixed it a 100:1 on 1 seize and 75:1 on the 2nd seize.

Hirev, I uspect you are right aboiut opti. I would never consider using it in a bike of anykind. The engine I will be testing it in is a Jonsered 2045 saw. The saw is being rebuilt at the moment from a cylinder and topened kit I got for 50 bucks. If it blows I am not out too much coin.

Blano,
THanks for the reply. I only used the Opti2 for something new to fool with. Hasn't killed any of my stuff but who knows. Let us know your opinion. ALso I have used it on Shindawa stuff that requires 40:1 with the Opti-2 at the stated mix with no OBVIOUS damage.
Thanks again
Greg Harrison

Sounds like I may be using a product that may not be a s good as they had me convinced it was. Usually if it sounds too good to be true it is.
Greg

Hey I'm no expert on 2 cycle engines so take this with a grain.

Also I am using the cryptokid theory of 2 cycle lubricants.

I have a really cheap Weed eater that a lady
from church left for me to "use". Translated:fix.

Its a Weed Eater GTI 15T and it is the most frustrating piece of junk I have ever attempted to use.

The carbon buildup in the CC and top of piston was beyond normal and would not run.

I pulled the plug poured in LC until full,rotated engine a pull or two, poured in more LC and reinstalled plug. Sat 2 days.

Mixed LC into rancid 2 stroke mercruiser oil I had from 1990 ? at 10% by recommended oil volume, Odis's level not our papers.

Mixed FP to gas at 1oz to 5 gallons and poured concoction into fuel/oil tank.

Cleaned plug and noted about 80 % clean metal showing now on piston top with lots of floaties, cleaned out as much as possible and this thing is running like a scalded rabbit and starts first pull if I choke correctly.

Will update if thing blows !

Still can't get the line to feed properly .Fiddle with line every 5 minutes cutting near the chain link cyclone fence at the compound here.
mad.gif

[ July 17, 2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by blano:
SBC, TCW3 oil is not the right oil for your application. Tcw3 is outboard oil. What you need is aircooled oil.

Blano.....since you seem to be the 2-cycle expert, what would you recommend that I use......The mobil stuff?

Mobil would be fine,. if it s a cheap piece like terrys any iso egd aircooled oil will work fine and there are many.

I ran castrol super in a snowmobile for about 6000 miles. When I pulled it down to re ring it the piston and head looked terrible from a deposit standpoint. Wear was average.

One thing to consider is the Mobil 1 MX2t stays mixed, does not seem to have a serious problem with water abosrbtion (as some other super oils do) and lubricates with the best of them.

This makes it the all around best choice.

I have worn out those little 2 cycle lawn tools. I have a few heavily wooded acres, I cleared my house pad myself and thinned out the weeds. I did wear out a Ryobi weedwacker using Redline Racing oil. The crankshaft failed, and it had been loosing compression.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by MHC:
I've had very good luck with Castrol Super 2 stroke.

From the same people who started (brought us) $4.50 a qt group III "synthetic" car oil. I would have a hard time using anything they blend. Just my 2 cents.

My Dad doesn't believe in "synthetics" and uses various 2 cycle oils. Generally, whatever the salesman tells him. Every year he has to take his weedeater, leafblower in for repairs. He just told me the other day he was gonna buy another ">>>>>" because the last 3 had lasted 2 years.

I've been using Amsoil 100:1 since I got married in 1983 and have NEVER had to take any 2 cycle piece of my equipment in for any kind of repair. 2 weedeaters and 2 leaf blowers. Maybe I'm just lucky??? No, I like to think of it as "wisdom."
grin.gif

blano-are you sure Castrol super 2-stroke met the requirements for your snowmobile? The super 2-stroke I use has a NMMA TC-W rating.

Hirev-it did seem that castrol tried to pull one over on use with that deal. Although they won there case against mobile.

I have an 8 year old echo blower that runs like new and still has the original spark plug running the castrol super 2-stroke

Snowmobiles oems use to spec tcw fluids. Thats one of the reasons the motor was so filthy. It was a fan cooled motor fwiw. BTW Castrol markets a variety of two cycle lubes that are called "super" this or that. Some meet tc jaso fb specs and others are tcw3-tcw lubes. The quality of Castrols two cycle lubes is pretty poor compared to for they cost.

[ July 20, 2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: blano ]

blano, are you saying any oil would have gummed up because it was fan cooled? Also, did you like castrol before you tore your snowmobile down or was it recommended by someone?
Mark

Mhc, What I am saying is that tcw type ashless fluids lend themselves to heavy deposits when used in aircooled motors. They simply do not have the high temp detergancy of a low ash formualtion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back