Best oil for lawnmowers and other small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best oil to use in lawnmowers and other small 4 cycle engines?

I was using Sears SG rated 30 wt oil, but then I found a place where I can get Briggs and Stratton oil. But it is not labeled as meeting any requirements-only that it meets new warranty requirments. So which oil is better-the B&S oil or the oil from Sears?

Or is it better to use an automotive type oil? Auto oils are rated higher (SL) but they do not have as much Zinc.

What oils do you guys use?

My company has a bunch of small engine equipment. Generators, quickie saws, compressors etc. My tool people use Castrol HD 30wt in the warmer months and switch to a 10w 30 in the cooler months. Oil is changed about every 50 hours. This has worked very well for us for years. These machines run 8 - 12 hours a day straight.

I doubt the B&S oil is any better/worse than the Sears in a lawnmower. I use whatever name brand straight 30 weight I can find cheap when I need it. Currently working on a case of Mobil dino I bought on sale 3 years ago. I used to use 10w30 because that was what my Dad always used, then I read the manual. Strange, the lawnmower doesn't need oil every time I mow anymore. I guess the Indian cheif knows better what to put in his engines than Dad does.
rolleyes.gif

[ June 14, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: mrchecker ]

I agree that 30W, when recommended, is the best overall mower engine oil. I use Schaeffer's Moly Bond 30W in my mowers and change it once a year. I don't use them when its cold (no need, obviously) so I don't need colder temp protection from a 10W-30.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/data/107.htm

For grins I've run Mobil One 10W-30 once and it seemed to work fine, no burning or consumption. So if you want to use whatever is lying around your garage, 10W-30 would work OK IMO. Otherwise I think it's best to stick to the 30W unless the mfr specifically requires something else.

I bought some Chevron 30 weight oil (I have really come to like Chevron) and I put a small amount of Schaeffer's #132 and Neutra in it. Then I put this oil into my lawnmower and my high wheeled weed trimmer.

The lawnmower ran the same as before. But the weed trimmer really started to run good. The engine sounded better and it ran like a charm.

I use Amsoil 10-30 with an Amsoil filter. I change it every fall before winter storage. Definitely overkill...
grin.gif

Most of my small engines I use in warmer weather.

I run Amsoil 15W-40 HD Marine/Diesel oil in all the motors with the exception of my 2 strokes (duh), and my OHC Hondas (I use Amsoil 5W-30 in those).

Like Pablo, use Amsoil 15W-40 but with a 1 oz/quart dose of Schaeffer's #132 in my Honda OHC and My low-tech Briggs "Classic." Both run like a top, and neither have shown any evidence of sludge production. I also use Chevron 91 gas with a dose of Neutra 131 and a does of Fuel Power. Are they pampered or what?
burnout.gif

I might use Amsoil 15W-40 also if only there was a local Amsoil dealer. It is a hassle to have to order stuff and have it sent to you.

How about Mobil 1 15W-50? Would it work good as well? It is thick, but it probably flows as good as a conventional 30 wt., don't you think?

Probably overkill, but I use the Amsoil HD 30 Diesel Oil in my B&S powered lawnmower and pressure washer. I figure it will keep the insides very clean.

I run 10w-30 Amsoil in my pressure washer OHC Honda engine and in my 10HP Kohlar that is in my 1977 Cub Cadet 1250 Hydra stat. Yep over kill also but makes me feel better since I run the mower wide open and we all know that the pressure washer does anyway.
grin.gif

Honda Harmony 214 push mower
Honda EM600 Generator
Honda EM1600 Generator
Honda/Coleman 5hp pressure washer
Honda 4518 2-cylinder 18hp tractor.
Honda ATC 200E (Big Red)
Troy-Bilt roto-tiller 8hp.

All use 15W40 oil, mostly Schaeffer (Bobzoil) Supreme 7000 but some still have Delo400 in them.

John Deere 10hp snowblower - Pennzoil Straight 40W

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Honda Harmony 214 push mower
Honda EM600 Generator
Honda EM1600 Generator
Honda/Coleman 5hp pressure washer
Honda 4518 2-cylinder 18hp tractor.
Honda ATC 200E (Big Red)
Troy-Bilt roto-tiller 8hp.

All use 15W40 oil, mostly Schaeffer (Bobzoil) Supreme 7000 but some still have Delo400 in them.

John Deere 10hp snowblower - Pennzoil Straight 40W

--- Bror Jace

So why the 3 different oils? I can see Bobzoil in them all, but why the delo in the others? And for a Snowblower, would'nt the 15w-40 work better than a straight 40 in the type weather snowblowers are used in? I am currently running 10w-30 in my 17HP Tecumseh Rider, but was looking hard at that 15w-40. It came with 30w, and now since I used the 10w-30 it has used a slight amount, so looking for a change. Just curious why the different 3 oils. which is the best of them?
dunno.gif

My fave of the three is the most recent: Schaeffer 15W40. I'm thinking of having a sample of this (from the Honda tractor) examined this fall after a year's use ... or maybe I should just have my head examined?
freak2.gif

I bought the Delo400 before I came to this site. For OTC 15W40 oils, I'd use Pennzoil ... although the Delo400 appears to have done a good job.
smile.gif

The snowblower used to gulp oil. It was probably older multi-vis oils and/or infreguent changes which were to blame. Anyway, I thought that a straight 40 might improve consumption. It did ... but if I had to do it all over again I would have used 15W40 in this puppy too. Gonna use up the straight 40 I have on hand then switch over to 15W40 if we still have it in a couple years. It's electric start kept in a heated garage so starting is not an issue.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Man, after listening to you guys, my mower will probably move out of my house and live with darrenc or bror. They get whatever is left over from a previous oil change.
frown.gif

That's funny Schmoe. If I spend any more money on this obsession, my wife will have me moving out of the house and living with my lawnmower in its shed!

I used to "recycle" some samples of used oils too. Honey-colored oil out of a rarely used piece of equipment ... like our ATC200E ... would often get filtered then go into a clunker we had laying around ... a '78 Ford truck, my Dad's '94 Merc which began gulping oil at 80,000 miles, etc ...

But right now, we're all out of clunkers.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

darrenc,
Sheds can be COOL!!!! Get a keg cooler, portable air conditioner, cable or satellite TV and a old chair......hey....who then NEEDS a woman????
grin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
confused.gif
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back